Passport expires in April Retirement visa expires in February

To illustrate just how ridiculous the system is I have just (17/01) applied for a new passport via an agent (Keyvisa). My passport runs out in April 2023, 15mths away but I apply for my marriage extension in Aug 2022 and at that time need 12mths available on my passport and will only have 8mths on my old passport. New UK passports take 11w to obtain in Thailand according to UK gov web site hence applying  15mth early to satisfy Thai Immigration and UKs ridiculous passport turn round time now loosing 9mths of passport validity.

I certainly wouldn't be applying for passport renewal a mere 3mths before my extension expires and yes I have a full colour copy of my passport on my phone for any passport enquiries.

1 hour ago, Speedo1968 said:

OP - I sent my passport to an agent in November and VFS Global notified me that they sent my new  passport application to HMPO on 13 January 2022.
It means agent sat and did nothing for all that time.
I have been checking my credit card account and no payment has at yet been made to HMPO.

More likely that VFS global caused a delay over the festive season!

• Haha 1

Recently went through this process via VFS/Thai Immigration with no hassle. Applied for new UK passport 9 months prior to current passport's expiry. The key is to apply personally, well in advance. You appear to have left things very late and to be using an agent, neither of which is a good idea for passport renewal. 

14 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

More likely that VFS global caused a delay over the festive season!

My money is on the agent messing up. My recent experience with VFS 

was of a super polite and professional set-up. Docs checked and

immediately placed and sealed in a DHL envelope, payment deducted

in the UK about three days later.

Completely upfront about an expected 10 week wait(came back in eight),

so am sure they would have been equally honest about holding back on

dispatch of docs until New Year.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I strongly suggest that you never post the agents name as Thai deformation law is quite nasty and that what you say is true is no defence.

The agent is able to win a deformation case if you cause damage to their reputation however true .

The agent deserves deformation, and would be more satisfying, but even defamation would not be worth the risk.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

OP - I have notification ( with reference number ) from VFS Global dated 13 January 2022 that states my passport was forwarded to HMPO on that date i.e. 13/01/22.

I have asked the agent twice already to provide me with details as to when they sent / took my passport application to VFS as they ( agent ) had already received my passport some weeks before.
I won't name agent at this time.

Oh dear, looks to me like this agent has really screwed you over and sat on your application for months before submitting it.

Just a thought if one happens to be short on time and in a turn-around time jamb, "Lose" your passport, report it lost at the local cop shop, go to the nearest consulate and apply for an emergency temporary pp ( 1 year validity USA ) process time less than a week, then apply for a new 10 year pp and enjoy your life.  

Edited by 0james0
awake too late, must be sleep typ0ing
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, chilly07 said:

To illustrate just how ridiculous the system is I have just (17/01) applied for a new passport via an agent (Keyvisa). My passport runs out in April 2023, 15mths away but I apply for my marriage extension in Aug 2022 and at that time need 12mths available on my passport and will only have 8mths on my old passport. New UK passports take 11w to obtain in Thailand according to UK gov web site hence applying  15mth early to satisfy Thai Immigration and UKs ridiculous passport turn round time now loosing 9mths of passport validity.

I certainly wouldn't be applying for passport renewal a mere 3mths before my extension expires and yes I have a full colour copy of my passport on my phone for any passport enquiries.

so you still have your soon to expire passport in your possession 

4 hours ago, 0james0 said:

Just a thought if one happens to be short on time and in a turn-around time jamb, "Lose" your passport, report it lost at the local cop shop, go to the nearest consulate and apply for an emergency temporary pp ( 1 year validity USA ) process time less than a week, then apply for a new 10 year pp and enjoy your life.  

Not sure about this.

It's an "emergency travel document" 

Granted looks exactly same as pp.

I have a feeling that you cannot apply for an extension with this document. 

Happy to stand corrected. 

49 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I have a feeling that you cannot apply for an extension with this document. 

It depends upon what is issued.

Some are real emergency passports that allow you travel and get extensions if needed with them.

Others are a emergency travel document that only allows you to leave the country and travel to you home country.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ukrules said:

Oh dear, looks to me like this agent has really screwed you over and sat on your application for months before submitting it.

OP Seems that way perhaps that is why they are not willing to show me evidence of date of sending to VFS, I was under the impression that they took to VFS perhaps they even sent by EMS or Courier.
Will ask them to return my passport but I can guess what they will reply - say nothing

• Like 2