Will Thailand follow the UK's lead?

brewsterbudgen

So with Boris just announcing the end of all Covid-19 restrictions in England from next week, including face mask mandates, will Thailand do the same? I have a sneaky feeling that the Thai PM likes to follow his UK counterpart's lead. ????

Edited by brewsterbudgen

20 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I think you could well be right. But Omicron has clearly peaked in the UK and on the way down. I'd guess we're 3-4 weeks behind that. No real way of telling though with the amount of testing going on here. 

True. I have a feeling that mandatory mask wearing will continue here for a lot longer, unlike the UK.

• Like 1

so the UK unmasked in June, clubs opened.

then delta came.

What the problem to wear mask at public places?

they have also introduced masks as the last during the first way in march 2019. Immigration officers telling passengers they don't need to wear them.

it's very unwise to follow the UK trend. They screw pandemic in every possible way from the very beginning till now, check dead per 100k

IMO it's FAR too early to take the brakes off in Thailand - despite the constant agitation from the tourist industry. We need at least another month - end of February ? Happily, I think masks will still be required for many purposes here - certainly on Public Transport.

BJ's is just trying to save his bacon. IMO it's madness not to require masks on Public Transport and in Shops.

Yes Thailand will follow the UK's lead, just not yet hopefully !!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, overherebc said:

It would appear Omicron is spreading quickly and I don't doubt that fairly soon everybody and their brother is going to get it.

Thailand will do it's own thing as it sees fit. Don't think the UK or any other country can claim we did it the right way.

Yes, if I were to make an educated guess I would say that Omicron is just getting going in Thailand, and we are going to see a very large number of infections. The official numbers are useless since testing is minimal. I just hope they make ATK kits available so people can test and isolate themselves as required. I know many workplaces are requiring weekly testing.

I expect we'll see quite a few tourist infections in the Test & Go program, and a lot of unhappy people who are forced into hospitels or hospitals during their holidays.

But we'll probably muddle through this in the typical Thai way, always one step behind .

Paul Laew

6 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

Yes, if I were to make an educated guess I would say that Omicron is just getting going in Thailand, and we are going to see a very large number of infections. The official numbers are useless since testing is minimal. I just hope they make ATK kits available so people can test and isolate themselves as required. I know many workplaces are requiring weekly testing.

I expect we'll see quite a few tourist infections in the Test & Go program, and a lot of unhappy people who are forced into hospitels or hospitals during their holidays.

But we'll probably muddle through this in the typical Thai way, always one step behind .

Paul Laew

Yep.

Just my view but I think concentrating on essential hospitalisation cases and forgetting the infection rate (it is going to be big) might, repeat might, be a way to go.

• Like 1

Yes let's hope Thailand does follow the UK in due course, WHEN the time is right. IMO Omicron is still on the launch pad here and it's too soon to relax.

Laughably, the UK has tried to claim throughout the pandemic, to be 'following the science'  ????  and from the start, I thought that was horseshoot -  just the Govt. pretending to avoid responsibility for it's decisions.

The UK Govt. have IMO been highly precipitate in releasing all Covid measures UK wide, (cases yesterday a massive 76807). I doubt that many in the NHS will welcome that.

So are we still 'following the science' ? If so, whose science is it ?

JVT has departed for his own good reasons no doubt, but Chris Whitty, Patrick Vallance and SAGE atm seem to be either absent or quiet ?

Have the Whips had a word with them (wink) ?

Edited by TorquayFan