We want to go back to Thailand and live there together permanently, but

7 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Just to clarify: The Swedish state pension, accrued from compulsory deductions is only payable in the European Union?

Pension agency would never know if he moved to Thailand . Just move pension from receiving ac to wise ac in home country & send it on to Thai bank.problem only if he has to present himself periodically in home country for pension.

use agent for long stay visa so status not reported back home.

On 1/20/2022 at 7:03 AM, ubonjoe said:

I assume your son is Thai from birth since his mother is Thai. Has his birth been registered here in Thailand or if born in your country at the Thai embassy there?

You can apply for a non-o visa and one year extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai.

You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank on the day you apply for the extension of stay.

Thank you for that advise.

Give a little more info.

How old are you roughly, how much you get extra income roughly.

Are you capable of working in Thailand do online work or something

If you have 1 mill, no extra income, no realistic change of getting a job here.

1.mill with no rent, living frugalish but OK, 25k a month. You will live OK 3 ish yrs.

No 800k in bank could be worked around if you pay an agent 13-20k for them to sort visa out without the money in bank.

Edited by 2008bangkok

I know many who lives in Thailand but keeps their address back home. Just go talk to someone you know and ask to have your address there. Meaning don't tell anyone your out of countryOr simply get the cheapest room you can get. You can also mailforward your post to Thailand for an fee or scanned by the postbox manager for a fee. 

1 hour ago, 2008bangkok said:

Give a little more info.

How old are you roughly, how much you get extra income roughly.

Are you capable of working in Thailand do online work or something

If you have 1 mill, no extra income, no realistic change of getting a job here.

1.mill with no rent, living frugalish but OK, 25k a month. You will live OK 3 ish yrs.

800k in bank could be worked around if you pay an agent 13-20k for them to sort visa out without the money in bank.

I am 57y.

yes I am capable of working, dont have any education thou.

We have our own house already, with a farm that we can get some income from.

so we dont have to pay rent, we have 2 cars and 2 motorcycles,

my wife has a thai passport, and we can register our son as thai too.

the 1 mil I have we dont have to use for anything else but for my stay in Thailand. 

1 minute ago, kneebendingfools said:

I am 57y.

yes I am capable of working, dont have any education thou.

We have our own house already, with a farm that we can get some income from.

so we dont have to pay rent, we have 2 cars and 2 motorcycles,

my wife has a thai passport, and we can register our son as thai too.

the 1 mil I have we dont have to use for anything else but for my stay in Thailand. 

Yes, but even living frugally , spending 500 Baht per day , that million baht will be gone in five years

1 hour ago, TropicalGuy said:

Pension agency would never know if he moved to Thailand . Just move pension from receiving ac to wise ac in home country & send it on to Thai bank.problem only if he has to present himself periodically in home country for pension.

use agent for long stay visa so status not reported back home.

Or...If for some reason you need to physically be in your country to maintain your pension, then move here to Thailand and return to your country to once a year to maintain the pension. Get a multiple reentry before leaving just in case. 

If it were me and I was hell bent on doing this, I'd look into getting an alternative address in your home country such as a friend or mailbox shop and register your address there for your pension. Get your child's Thai citizenship in order. Project your monthly/annual financial scheme with at least a 10% buffer, and methodically layout a fail-proof plan. Most important, be honest with yourself with the numbers. If the numbers don't fit, then you'll have to scrap the idea. 

You're the only one that can resolve this issue, personally I think it can be done with a little creative thinking. 

Edited by 0james0
edit for Reason
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BritTim said:

Living on the farm would be no problem. However, as a foreigner, it is absolutely forbidden for you to do any work as a farmer. That raises the question of where your income will come from. The income that can be expected as a subsistence Thai farmer would be little enough, but it does not seem you would even be able to get that.

You are in a very difficult position. Your wife is, apparently, unhappy in Europe. However, that one million baht in savings you possess is liable to evaporate very quickly once you are living in Thailand with no income, and a wife and son to support. How old is your son? Even if using Thai public schools, there is some cost involved in getting your son educated. I really fear you could become another Westerner whose family falls apart in Thailand, with no income and without enough money even to return to home country.

Consider talking, together with your wife, to a marriage counsellor.  You need to find a way forward that is acceptable to both you and your wife, and that is based on more than wishful thinking.

Thank you for your answer and advise.

Yes I am very frustrated and stressed, my wife is not happy here at all, and it kills me to see her so unhappy.

Deep inside I understand that its near impossible for me to keep my family safe and happy in Thailand and to give them a bright future there. I should of course have used a condom even thou my wife was told she couldnt get pregnant, anyway, our son was obviously destined to come and he is a lovely little chap, but unfortunately unlucky to have me as a father that never prepared to have a child in my life.

Sweden in a near future will be considered a failed state and it is so stressful to know that our son will suffer if we stay here, maybe the best option left is to let them move and do what I can to send them money, but it will break my hart no to be able to be with him.

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, kneebendingfools said:

Yes I am very frustrated and stressed, my wife is not happy here at all, and it kills me to see her so unhappy.

Deep inside I understand that its near impossible for me to keep my family safe and happy in Thailand and to give them a bright future there. I should of course have used a condom even thou my wife was told she couldnt get pregnant, anyway, our son was obviously destined to come and he is a lovely little chap, but unfortunately unlucky to have me as a father that never prepared to have a child in my life.

Sweden in a near future will be considered a failed state and it is so stressful to know that our son will suffer if we stay here, maybe the best option left is to let them move and do what I can to send them money, but it will break my hart no to be able to be with him.

I sympathise. This is difficult.

Before making any decisions, together with your GF, discuss the situation with an experienced counsellor. The unhappy state of your GF may not be primarily that she does not like Sweden. It is very possible that she is bored with your relationship, and looking for a way out. However, there may be ways of fixing the situation so it becomes tolerable for all of you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Stick 400,000 THB in a Thai bank account for your visa based upon having a Thai child. Leave it untouched for your annual extensions

As long as you have paperwork to verify you support Thai national (child), then as stated, only need 400k, if that, not sure, as been a while.   I used that visa until I was 50 yrs old, and kid wasn't my birth child or adopted by me.  May be wrong, but I don't remember any financials being required, although it was almost 20 yrs aga.

The original paperwork was done at a very friendly USA consulate (non embassy), no tea money involved.  Affidavit from child's mother verifying, then when renewed in Thailand, grandparents verified at renewal, since mother was MIA.  Since mother is available, in your case, should be easier.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, kneebendingfools said:

Im one of the folk that thought this thread was what we call click bait. Meaning a made up story.

This will sound harsh but just one person's opinion.

Your wife will return to Thailand.

That's a given.

If you had money and a job etc she might have even agreed to leaving son with you. Thinking better future for son. That won't happen given your situation.

You will end up going to Thailand also with wife approval and encouragement.

You have a million baht.

With a farmhouse that money will last much longer than it would for most.

When that's gone you will be cut.

Sadly if that occurs you will have no petrol in the tank.

No government support here in Thailand such as medical etc.

Then in few years you will post that your on overstay and can't get back to Sweden. 

Edited by DrJack54

18 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

May be wrong, but I don't remember any financials being required, although it was almost 20 yrs aga.

It appears that was for a non-o visa application not a extension of stay based upon being the parent of Thai that is available now. Having financial proof of at least 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 40k baht income is required to do the application.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Hard to make any comment or advise on the OP, to little info. 

Is the child yours? what country are you in? what age are you?

You could Go live in another European country, and leave from there. just saying.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Hard to make any comment or advise on the OP, to little info. 

Is the child yours? what country are you in? what age are you?

If referring the the first post then that is correct. If your read the later posts you will find more info.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

How about moving to a lower cost much warmer southern EU country? Perhaps that would be less depressing for y'all?

Indeed. Sweden can be really dull (both physically and mentally) during the winter. It is great around mid summer, and I would be very interested in spending mid June until early September there. For December until February, somewhere like the Greek islands would work, but is also a nice time to be in Thailand. For someone with limited finances, that is not practical, unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Indeed. Sweden can be really dull (both physically and mentally) during the winter. It is great around mid summer, and I would be very interested in spending mid June until early September there. For December until February, somewhere like the Greek islands would work, but is also a nice time to be in Thailand. For someone with limited finances, that is not practical, unfortunately.

Woohoo. All of a sudden this OP is taking random trips throughout Europe in search of sand and sun.

The OP is almost down to seat of his pants.

He might get few years out of his one mil baht in Thailand, and then he will receive P off message.

Obviously the Thai assets will be in partner's name. Heck he isn't even married.

On 1/21/2022 at 1:26 AM, kneebendingfools said:

I think or in fact i know your son will have a much better education nin Sweden than he would in Thailand.

Not even a comparison. Especially if you had to go down the Government schooling route.

7 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

I think or in fact i know your son will have a much better education nin Sweden than he would in Thailand.

Not even a comparison. Especially if you had to go down the Government schooling route.

So what's your plan? 

Leave the little tacker in Europe? 

The mother is going to Thailand.

That's a given.

She will take son also because OP most likely can't care for kid.

OP will be welcome to join them.

Basically with papers stamped "admitted until 1mil baht is gone" 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

So what's your plan? 

Leave the little tacker in Europe? 

The mother is going to Thailand.

That's a given.

She will take son also because OP most likely can't care for kid.

OP will be welcome to join them.

Basically with papers stamped "admitted until 1mil baht is gone" 

I think the plan should be to convince the "wife" to stay in Sweden for the time being and think about the kids education rather than her own needs.

The guy said he is still working age so get a job, stick the 1.mil (thats only to spend in Thailand)in an investment account earning 5-10% a year then look.at the situation when 1. The child has a good education and 2. They have more money.

Trust me, i have an 13 and 11 yr old myself and only wish they were in a UK school. 

Unfortunately I don't have the 20k minimum to relocate back to UK otherwise I would.

On ensight if i knew now what I knew before I wouldn't have come to Thailand at 27 and probably at some point now will have to go back to UK with nothing, id have stayed UK till 60-65 then move to Thailand.

12 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

Unfortunately I don't have the 20k minimum to relocate back to UK otherwise I would.

Sound like another unfortunate.

As for working I think the OP mentioned that he is 57? ( not sure) and has amassed a total of 1million baht. Strike me pink.

As for the partner she wants to be in Thailand. That's common.

As I stated she will go live in Thailand and the OP can tag along and be useful till his dosh runs out.

That will take 2 or 3 years.

Wife & son move back to Thailand legally, OP comes to Thailand as a tourist and stays just long enough that he doesn't lose his monthly pension.  this will require the OP to do some flying back and forth between his home country but at least he bypasses all the long-term visa requirements. The only drawback is at some point in the future immigration will catch on to this and start denying extensions, should be able to get a few years before they catch on.

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Sound like another unfortunate

Depends how you look at unfortunate.

If you been living and working in another country for a long period of time, been married, had 2 lovely children.  But because of the difference in salaries in Thailand to UK hasnt ammassed 20k  then yeah im unfortunate.  But there again im not to sure.many people at 50 in the UK would have 20k in the bank either.

OP how long since you have worked.? Is there nothing at all

available in your line of work.? 

You say you have no education but your English is more than passable.? Do you mean no qualifications and no experience relevant to today's job market. 

I wish you the best anyway. 

• Like 1