can i learn to fight at my age ,muay thai ?

georgegeorgia

On 1/20/2022 at 4:47 PM, CharlieH said:

Age should be no barier if the required degree of fitness and flexibility/mobility is there. It should be just a matter of adjustment to your ability initially and safety, which any decent instructor should be able to adapt to do that.

That said, the best form of defence, is abscence.

Normally love your posts but suggesting that a 60 years old isn't a barrier to learning to fight (as clearly separate from studying a martial art) is some of the most reckless and dangerous advice I have heard on this forum

• 8 months later...
On 1/20/2022 at 8:56 PM, BritManToo said:

Forget it, you're too old.

I practice with a sword, machete and sword baton for the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

But zombies are (hopefully) a lot slower than drunken tourists.

IMG_20220120_205803.jpg

I think I have the same blade, as it goes in the long handle.  Good for spearing snakes.

On 1/27/2022 at 2:33 PM, possum1931 said:

Anything's possible, but we are dealing with Farangs here, not Thais, so going by your way of thinking, just because you are scared he might have pals, anyone is allowed to just assault you and you will just walk away?

Sooooo, lets say I fight back and I get a lucky kick in that severely injures him, and there is a cop nearby. Was it worth staying to fight and spend time in a Thai jail because of it?

I've watched my share of action movies, but they ain't real life.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sooooo, lets say I fight back and I get a lucky kick in that severely injures him, and there is a cop nearby. Was it worth staying to fight and spend time in a Thai jail because of it?

I've watched my share of action movies, but they ain't real life.

I don't remember the post so I am finding it hard to make a comment.  No, if it was a Thai, I would get out of the way as fast as I could, but not if it was a Farang. Like I have said recently, I have never had any confrontation with any Thai guy, I have always felt safe that way. Then again I do not frequent bars as I am a non drinker.

This thread reminds me of two drunk 70 year olds fighting on the way home from the pub 

There was pretty serious injury 

As they grappled with each other they toppled over into a recently dug meter deep trench for underground cables ???????????? 

Old men fighting comedy gold 

Self defense is more a mental thing than a physical thing.

Could you use your thumbs to gouge out an attackers eye ? Could you use a chair, stick, bottle to incapacitate someone who is hell bent on hurting you ? Could you beat them down so that they stay down ?

If you are not prepared to go this far, then going away is the best course of action.

ty.jpg

1 minute ago, seedy said:

Could you beat them down so that they stay down ?

My former MIL went on a firearms course. Having passed they then asked her if she could kill someone. Her answer must have been wrong because they didn't issue her with a gun.

Reason. They will take it way from you and use it on you.