can i learn to fight at my age ,muay thai ?

georgegeorgia

My 14 yr old has been studying muay thai at a nearby gym in Bangkok. i asked on the off chance of a course with the objective of 1. getting healthier / fitter and 2. self defence (not that ive ever had the need to self defend in Thailand).

They talked me through a few things and the instructer emphasized that my age (54) shouldnt hold me back, they would start slow and build up.

im thinking about it. i would love to for the fitness aspect and also learning a bit of local culture - but im a lazy <deleted>!!

• Like 1

Age should be no barier if the required degree of fitness and flexibility/mobility is there. It should be just a matter of adjustment to your ability initially and safety, which any decent instructor should be able to adapt to do that.

That said, the best form of defence, is abscence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes you can learn, but do you really think its a good idea as you seem to want to use it for conflict / revenge not self defense.

Water squirted in eye with powder, bad but you want to beat someone up for it ? What if others jump in. What is the point of fighting.

Same for the elbow unless it was really hard and an ongoing assault your only reason seems to be vengeance ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like you are fit so it should be fine. I do gym and cardio and some sort of muay thai i.e. just kicking and boxing a bag or just into thin air. I had a couple of lessons just to get a bit of technique i.e. how to be stable, what your arms do when you kick, different sort of kicks. You probably know your limitations and the instructor will see when you are getting too tired.

In terms of actual fighting as sport you can see if your interest takes you that far but probably good just for fitness.  It could be fun though and you'll learn so much more about defense and attack by actually fighting of course. 

The more confident you are in your fitness and strength the less you'll care about petty disputes and hopefully you'd realise public fighting is not a good idea. 

• Like 1

Why not join the Cobra Kai?

Sounds like the OP has serious emotional problems that need to be dealt with before undergoing legitimate martial arts training. The first rule is to walk away, not strike first strike hard no mercy. You must take your life in balance before you can protect others and yourself, I suggest yoga and meditation.  Then perhaps Tai Chi or Aikido. Carry yourself with confidence, then you will nit be  be a victim.

0007627.jpeg

• Haha 1

I have been living on Thailand since 2011, I first started coming here about 2004/5 I can't quite remember, I live in Pattaya & have always come to Pattaya, never ever once have I had a confrontational problem, ever.

I have been to just about every province in the kingdom, I don't know how you manage to attract such attention.

• Like 2

Absolutely give it a go. I am about the same age as you and what I do is watch all the UFC , Bellator, BKFC, Boxing etc that I can and learn and practice from that.  I have  a heavy bag and practice every day the moves I see the pros do. Just watched a great You Tube video on what makes Canelo Alveraz so good and try to learn techniques from video's like that. My version of Nick Diaz's Stockton Slap and a good  Spinning Back Elbow are my go to moves. Connect with a good elbow and its lights out and finish with a flurry of hammer fists. And use your knees and remember that in a street fight/self defense situation there are no rules and the main objective is to disable the other guy as quickly as possible so low kicks/knees are encouraged.

Remember the best defense is offence both verbally and physically.

So get a heavy bag and some good MMA style sparring gloves and your self confidence will improve out of sight and so will your fitness.

Start with boxing if you can, less risk of injury when you start training. Once you have a decent amount of conditioning, improved your cardio and an understanding of the basics you can transition to muay thai. At our age joint health is super important so I wouldn't jump into a high impact sport like muay thai immediately. 

Edited by heist
  • Like 1

Never too old.

I started at 56. Six days a week. To keep fit.

Took two years off for a pre existing injury (partially torn distal bracchia tendon) that flared up again. then restarted once  it got better.

Will be 64 this year. Still going strong 5 days a week. Keeps me fit and hopefully healthy. 

There was a 71 year old tourist that pre-covid used to come whenever he was on holiday here.

One thing I will add. At your age, your reflexes might not be as fast as they once were.

Even Mike Tyson was warned that he was too old last year to start boxing competitively again.

Edited by phetphet
Corrections
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

tell me if you can fight  at your older age ? do you still train ?  i need to be ready for when i retire ,ready to defend myself from louts and hooligans around ,thailand or even phillipines where i may retire is not safe.

Forget it, you're too old.

I practice with a sword, machete and sword baton for the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

But zombies are (hopefully) a lot slower than drunken tourists.

IMG_20220120_205803.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Just try and stay away from these horrible people.

Songkrang is a time to stay indoors and relax, or travel somewhere far away from anyone.

Unfortunately, while retribution sounds like a nice idea, it's probably going to end one of two ways: you in trouble or you in the hospital.  It doesn't seem worth it to me.

I agree completely - but this is still one of my favourite news stories ever ...

0_burg.png

... even though it's not entirely true (he wasn't a Royal Marine but he was an ex-boxing instructor).

By all means learn it, but remember that your body is more likely to suffer permanent damage if you start physical contact sports than it was 30 years earlier.

Personally I'd learn self defense rather than offense.

Also back in the bonkers western world, one is likely to be prosecuted if one hurts some thug while defending oneself.

10 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I agree completely - but this is still one of my favourite news stories ever ...

0_burg.png

... even though it's not entirely true (he wasn't a Royal Marine but he was an ex-boxing instructor).

That makes my heart sing!

Some years ago Fox was showing a clip of some young scumbag that tried to take on an old Vietnam vet on a bus and ended up getting his face handed to himself. Pity that such great stories are rare.

16 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes you can learn, but do you really think its a good idea as you seem to want to use it for conflict / revenge not self defense.

Water squirted in eye with powder, bad but you want to beat someone up for it ? What if others jump in. What is the point of fighting.

Same for the elbow unless it was really hard and an ongoing assault your only reason seems to be vengeance ? 

Vengeance against scumbags is always a good thing, but in the real world scumbags usually win against the good guys.

Muay Thai training? Sure, a good way to stay in shape, I've seen Muay Thai camp websites offering fitness work-out programs.

Muay Thai sparing in the ring? No thanks, at my age I have no desire of getting punched by choice.

Edited by bbko
  • Like 1

I read the bit where the OP said he walked away when a farang squirted him hard in the eye. I am nowhere near as heavy as the OP or as strong as him although I have the height and speed, but I will say one thing and have said it many times on this forum. If any farang hit me like that with a watergun, I am 99% certain that I would be very capable of knocking  the living daylights out of him, and I would.

On 1/20/2022 at 8:25 PM, BangkokReady said:

Just try and stay away from these horrible people.

Songkrang is a time to stay indoors and relax, or travel somewhere far away from anyone.

Unfortunately, while retribution sounds like a nice idea, it's probably going to end one of two ways: you in trouble or you in the hospital.  It doesn't seem worth it to me.

Yes, just make your excuses and walk away .

That's the best way to defend yourself 

• Like 1