can i learn to fight at my age ,muay thai ?

georgegeorgia

On 1/20/2022 at 5:09 PM, Chris.B said:

"just wondering how many of you can fight or still train in fighting skills wherever that be muay thai ,boxing or jujitsu ?

Are there training schools/camps willing to take us on at our age?

Im particular interested in older guys say 50 plus 

The reason i ask this is because im in my early 60's not far to go to retirement and thinking of learning to defend myself for later years.

Im a hospital wardsman currently in Australia so am quite fit plus i go to the gym nearly everyday and lift heavy weights ,im 110kg ,i dont drink or"

I think that as you are in your 60's, you should be learning how to get out of potentially dangerous situations not learning how to inflame them! It seems to me you are lacking in streetwise skills and should be avoiding places like Walking Street.

You may try to learn some fighting skills but that doesn't make you a fighter. You need to have the psyche to be able to hurt someone when you fight them, something you won't learn at these schools.

I did do Karate in my younger days and got to a green belt, but I would not recommend it for self defence in the street, all these fancy movements would soon be taken care off by an able street fighter.

If I was back in my twenties, I would take up boxing, but for self defence, not fighting in the ring.

• Like 2

OP - Nothing wrong at all with taking up martial arts at any age….BUT…we all need to recognise our limitations. For my 60th birthday, I did 3 rounds of moderate sparring at a top Muay Thai gym in Bangkok…I trained for about 3 months to get fit enough, and I was able to draw on many years of Thai boxing experience (albeit I hung up my gloves many moons ago). Not sure I could do it when I reach 70 though ????

If you are new to the sport, forget all about sparring, just pop into a Muay Thai gym and sign up for a non contact fitness class, or take private lessons. As others have said the boxing bit is easier than the kicking, but Muay Thai is a bit easier for us oldies given the emphasis is on low kicking. The coaches should be teaching you the basics - how to punch/strike and how to avoid getting hit. Practicing on the bags and with a trainer using focus mitts is a great calorie burner, brilliant for fitness and handy for self defence.

All this assumes that you are in good health - maybe medical check before starting training. Good luck with your training.

Yes you can learn, but you will not have the muscle memory as a younger have. I have boxed in my school years, and also maintained the heavy bag and ball training on and off in my older days. I attendended a boxing gym right before my 50íes and just after a few hours they wanted me to fight in a upcoming event ????

Tempting but no thanks, I did not want to be the main entertainment of the evening, where an old punch drunk Thai kick the brain out of me. 

If your main purpose it to protect yourself, forget it. To many reasons to mention why you should not, and I guess you still would not understand. 

When that is said, I never had any trouble in Thailand, and If i end up in trouble, choking or giving anyone an elbow is not in my plan. My plan is to get away from the trouble. 

What I have seen live and also on youtube videos, is a falang who fighting a bar lady, a lady boy, and seconds later, hell brakes loose, and Thais coming from everywhere and kick the <deleted> out of the falang. Good luck

• Like 1

There's a place in Ubon by the river (they have a website) that I spent 3 days at and punched a bag a few times, but not a face. You can also stay there with meals for tiny money.

For me, it was more of a cultural thing (I had to kill some time in Ubon and had already been to the Mark Weins chicken and cashew place). They spoke a bit of English and were very welcoming, even with the understanding that I was more an exercise tourist than aspirer to street fighting. I was over 60 at the time, and they were very accommodating about that.

Can't recco Ubon enough in general, BTW. The animist/Buddhist feeling is more accessible there than any other place I've been in Thailand. And the westerners are friendlier due to not being deluged like in Chiang Mail

I know an English guy who has devoted his life to muay thai and is currently opening his own muay thai gym out in Suphan Buri (about an hour and a half from Bangkok). He can provide very cheap accommodation plus all the tutoring you could want. You'd be out in the sticks with very few farang around - could be a really good experience. I just don't know when he will be opening but let me know if you want to be put in touch with him.

If OP will have invested the hundred of hours serious training required to become proficient, he hopefully also will have learned to avoid conflicts. But probably he will have damaged joints, ligaments and muscles before such time, unless the training is more geared to general health and fitness. While you recover from injuries within days at a younger age, it may take weeks at retirement age. I invested more than 1000 hours to achieve a halfway decent level, but I stopped with martial arts when I realized that I would need to invest double as much time just to keep up my standard.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2022 at 6:58 PM, possum1931 said:

I read the bit where the OP said he walked away when a farang squirted him hard in the eye. I am nowhere near as heavy as the OP or as strong as him although I have the height and speed, but I will say one thing and have said it many times on this forum. If any farang hit me like that with a watergun, I am 99% certain that I would be very capable of knocking  the living daylights out of him, and I would.

Said farang will likely be with a group of like minded individuals that will all rally round said farang to beat the living <deleted> out of you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Said farang will likely be with a group of like minded individuals that will all rally round said farang to beat the living <deleted> out of you.

Yes, avoid trouble at all costs with drunk farang. 

If a drunk farang does that to me, I’ll just leave like a coward then pay a few thousands Baht to a group of Thais to do the work for me ????????‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alextrat1966 said:

Yes, avoid trouble at all costs with drunk farang. 

If a drunk farang does that to me, I’ll just leave like a coward then pay a few thousands Baht to a group of Thais to do the work for me ????????‍♂️

And most likely they take your money with a smile and walk

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Anything's possible, but we are dealing with Farangs here, not Thais, so going by your way of thinking, just because you are scared he might have pals, anyone is allowed to just assault you and you will just walk away?

19 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Anything's possible, but we are dealing with Farangs here, not Thais, so going by your way of thinking, just because you are scared he might have pals, anyone is allowed to just assault you and you will just walk away?

I can fight, I know how to fight, but I also know there is some guys out there who is better, faster, stronger than me. Risking it all (even a stay at Bangkok Hilton involved, I know it is better to avoid any conflict for any price. 

As said I never had any trouble, but I know others who always end up in fights and getting involved in trouble. And of course they do not know why they always involved either. They are like fly paper or a magnet  to trouble and always innocent.

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

I can fight, I know how to fight, but I also know there is some guys out there who is better, faster, stronger out there than me. Risking it all (even a stay at Bangkok Hilton involved, I know it is better to avoid any conflict for any price. 

I can't fight at all, but my woman is quick with a box cutter.

I leave the violence to her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

I can fight, I know how to fight, but I also know there is some guys out there who is better, faster, stronger than me. Risking it all (even a stay at Bangkok Hilton involved, I know it is better to avoid any conflict for any price. 

As said I never had any trouble, but I know others who always end up in fights and getting involved in trouble. And of course they do not know why they always involved either. They are like fly paper or a magnet  to trouble and always innocent.

I have never been anywhere near a fight with either a farang or Thai in the 14 years I have been here, but if anyone assaults me or even tries to, I am not going to stand by and let them. I have had a bit of that in the UK, but here in Thailand, being a non drinker and never go into bars, it is 99% certain I am not going to get attacked.

On 1/23/2022 at 12:58 PM, possum1931 said:

I read the bit where the OP said he walked away when a farang squirted him hard in the eye. I am nowhere near as heavy as the OP or as strong as him although I have the height and speed, but I will say one thing and have said it many times on this forum. If any farang hit me like that with a watergun, I am 99% certain that I would be very capable of knocking  the living daylights out of him, and I would.

So you would throw the first punch because you got squirted "hard in the eye" with water......during Songkran??

28 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have never been anywhere near a fight with either a farang or Thai in the 14 years I have been here, but if anyone assaults me or even tries to, I am not going to stand by and let them. I have had a bit of that in the UK, but here in Thailand, being a non drinker and never go into bars, it is 99% certain I am not going to get attacked.

See all of it, and it helps to know a little bit about Jocko Willing before you see it. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, bbko said:

So you would throw the first punch because you got squirted "hard in the eye" with water......during Songkran??

Yes I would, but it would never have or will happen, as I use a bit of common sense and knowing what my temperament is like,  just stay home at Songcran.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I would do anything I could to avoid being assaulted, and if it was unavoidable I would do whatever i could to protect myself, and yes, I would walk away after. However, depending on circumstances I might go to the police. I doubt they would care unless I was seriously injured.

I have no illusions about being able to defeat the sort of person that would assault me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Yes.

That reminds me of the old farang in Pattaya that attacked me with his walking stick when he thought I squirted him- I didn't. Luckily for myself he was so doddery that I easily deflected his stick with my water gun. The other old farangs with him thought it was a great laugh.

Soooo, if you are going to punch anyone, I hope you get the right person.

On 1/23/2022 at 7:08 PM, possum1931 said:

I did do Karate in my younger days and got to a green belt, but I would not recommend it for self defence in the street, all these fancy movements would soon be taken care off by an able street fighter.

If I was back in my twenties, I would take up boxing, but for self defence, not fighting in the ring.

I too did karate when in my 20s, but never progressed as my reaction time is rubbish and was pants at sparring.

What was useful was doing self defense courses and learning techniques of protecting myself. If some guy tried to strangle me from behind, he would hopefully be immobilized with broken fingers ( start with the small fingers ).

However, the best defense is always absence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That reminds me of the old farang in Pattaya that attacked me with his walking stick when he thought I squirted him- I didn't. Luckily for myself he was so doddery that I easily deflected his stick with my water gun. The other old farangs with him thought it was a great laugh.

Soooo, if you are going to punch anyone, I hope you get the right person.

If someone squirts you in the face or eye, you are not going to make any mistakes.

On 1/27/2022 at 11:04 AM, possum1931 said:

Yes I would, but it would never have or will happen, as I use a bit of common sense and knowing what my temperament is like,  just stay home at Songcran.

People leave Pattaya at Songkran,  close their businesses, stay at home or even leave Thailand. Its a dreadful violent festival where bullies and ářśéholes are given free reign.

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2022 at 4:18 PM, georgegeorgia said:

i think jujitsu would be better for my age rather than kicking and punching but i would like to try muay thai

you know, if you do that, they will fight back... and even if, especially if, you can fight, you will likely get hurt much more.. most people our age don't get into fights and so we don't have to worry about it... maybe try that approach...

Edited by 1FinickyOne

On 1/27/2022 at 8:45 AM, BritManToo said:

I can't fight at all, but my woman is quick with a box cutter.

I leave the violence to her.

I never saw the fun in hitting someone else and never had a desire to get hit... just didn't see the fun in any of it and managed to avoid fights.. simple enough... 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 8:33 AM, possum1931 said:

of course, when I hear stories of random violence like this, it makes me wonder if there was a first chapter to the story that has not been passed along... 

• Like 1

If it helps you to get more confidence but in a real unexpected fight you are a bit late to start with that now, I'd say continue to walk away or just kick them in the balls and otherwise follow Brittman his advice lol.

You are not in the ring, if you are big build just grab a chair and throw it at them. Scream like a mad men too, that helps. Last resort: start throwing pool balls, this might lead to more casualties. 

Edited by ChaiyaTH

No you can't learn to <deleted> fight in your 50s . Jesus . You could study any martial art you choose including Muay Thai that late in life but fundamentally you won't be strong, flexible nor fit enough to train at a high level as far as learning to fight goes. You learn to fight by getting hit repeatedly about the head and body with Muay Thai that includes getting belted with shins, knees and elbows so no ya cant.

Mate if your 60 and can't hold your hands up and even if you were 60 and like me had spent the best part of your life training muay thai and fighting I would suggest you just walk away do not confront people like most 60 year olds do. I know some real staunch old <deleted> that can blue and they ain't looking for fights. Seriously what your talking about could get yourself killed.

Edited by starky
  • Like 1