Getting marriage visa and work in Thailand

Hi guys,

I am from Macau (somewhere near Hong Kong) and my wife is Thai, we registered marriage in Macau. Because of the pandemic, my city is closed and not allowing anyone to come which include my wife. I haven't seen my wife for 2 years (literally right after we married). I have no way but plan to quit my job and move to Thailand to stay with my wife. I am looking for a marriage visa which allow me to stay longer in Thailand, but the problem is our marriage certificate is not issued by Thailand govt. Instead, it is issued by Macau government. Would it be a problem to apply marriage visa if I am holding a foreign issued marriage certificate? What document do I need to provide? The nearest Thai embassy is in Hong Kong which I need to quarantine for 14 days to get there, so I want everything to get all set. In the best case, I hope I can hire agent to do so, so that I don't need to go to Hong Kong personally.  Thank you for your time and answer.

Guest Isaanlife
1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The first thing you need to do is have your marriage certificate legalized by the authority in Macao that issued it and then have it legalized by the consulate in Hong Kong.

You should be able to apply for a single entry non-o visa in Hong Kong using your marriage certificate from Macao that will allow a 90 stay here.

I suggest you check with consulate in Hong Kong to confirm that Macao is within their area of responsibility.

Contact info: https://hongkong.thaiembassy.org/en/page/location?menu=60541fa73c277e6988688b02

After arriving here you will need to have your marriage certificate translated to Thai and have it certified by Department of Consular Affairs Department of the MFA in Bangkok. Then after that you could register your foreign marriage at a Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry that immigration requires to apply for a one year extension of stay based upon Marriage.

Ubon Joe, the walking encyclopedia of Thai Visa rules and regulations!

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The first thing you need to do is have your marriage certificate legalized by the authority in Macao that issued it and then have it legalized by the consulate in Hong Kong.

You should be able to apply for a single entry non-o visa in Hong Kong using your marriage certificate from Macao that will allow a 90 stay here.

I suggest you check with consulate in Hong Kong to confirm that Macao is within their area of responsibility.

Contact info: https://hongkong.thaiembassy.org/en/page/location?menu=60541fa73c277e6988688b02

After arriving here you will need to have your marriage certificate translated to Thai and have it certified by Department of Consular Affairs Department of the MFA in Bangkok. Then after that you could register your foreign marriage at a Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry that immigration requires to apply for a one year extension of stay based upon Marriage.

Thank you for your detail reply. Does my wife need to show up at the consulate in Hong Kong for legalizing the marriage document? She is in Thailand at the moment. Also, can I work in Thailand with this visa?

9 hours ago, foodyfoodie said:

Thank you for your detail reply. Does my wife need to show up at the consulate in Hong Kong for legalizing the marriage document? She is in Thailand at the moment. Also, can I work in Thailand with this visa?

She does not need to be with you for the legalization. Some embassies and consulates will do them by mail.

To work with your Non-o marriage visa,

-get a multi entry non-o marriage visa from thai embassy (i think its 5000 baht) get multi so you will have time to arrange things.

-you need to extend it 1 year in thailand at the immigration using 2 ways: min income 40K baht (thai work salary or from your country) or 400.000 in the bank. the rules are different. so check them

second after extension with your non-o marriage your work will provide you documents and you can get your work permit. so you can work with your visa

thats how im doing in thailand. non-o marriage extension based on my income from my thai company. 

if you dont have or cannot do any way of extensions... you can contact with an agency. It will cost you from 25K to 30K baht. and they will do the magic. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 12:53 PM, problemfarang said:

hats how im doing in thailand. non-o marriage extension based on my income from my thai company. 

Thank you. May I know if I am in Thailand with my non-o marriage visa and find a job in Thailand. Can I apply work permit and all the document finished in Thailand? Or Do I need to come back to my country/ Thai embassy in my country to finish the document?

28 minutes ago, foodyfoodie said:

Thank you. May I know if I am in Thailand with my non-o marriage visa and find a job in Thailand. Can I apply work permit and all the document finished in Thailand? Or Do I need to come back to my country/ Thai embassy in my country to finish the document?

You can apply for a work permit with a non-o visa or one year extension of stay based upon marriage.

If you found a job you get the work permit and work. You can even use the income from working to meet the 40k baht requirement for the extension of stay application.

You do not need a non-b visa.

30 minutes ago, foodyfoodie said:

If I open a company with my wife and she holds 51%, does it work?

You and your wife can set up company or a partnership with her owning 51% of it.

15 hours ago, foodyfoodie said:

If you have non-o you can find a job, can get a work permit and you can extend your visa one of the method, thai wife or work.

No need to leave the country all can be done in thailand