Random check by immigration

1 minute ago, Phoenix Rising said:

"Many reports of requesting "petrol money" etc."

So the answer is no then. Thought as much.

"I personally refused to have a home visit"

How can you refuse that? If they visit your home it's a done deal already.

Well 10 years so far without a "home visit' 

I'm not on marriage extensions.

Your posts are not making any sense. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, glegolo18 said:

You got rules and laws from the goverment as per behaviour from the falangs. Meaning that there probably have been bad behaviour earlier.. fraud, scams etc.. fake-marriages etc from others... So why not???

If you have nothing to hide, who cares if the guys comes home and check on us?? I dont care, this is not my country, and I have no right to cry and complain about it..

What does any of this actually mean? Specious assertions based on false conclusion and incorrect observations written in such a manner as to be barely understandable.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Many reports of requesting "petrol money" etc.

In any event. Not the point.

I personally refused to have a home visit 

As mentioned several times above, I'm on retirement extensions..

I don't accept a home visit and they are not required for retirement extensions.

Actually  you don't make the laws here but you do have to observe them, albeit reluctantly. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Actually  you don't make the laws here but you do have to observe them, albeit reluctantly. 

What are you on about.

This thread is about home visits.

The OP is on marriage extensions and his immigration office did random home visit.

I use retirement extensions.

As for general laws such as road laws etc etc .....I follow them.

What are you missing..

17 hours ago, Opossum said:

No one share the same experience until now? At least, I can see that some people are working for the 1'900 Bath fee....

They had 3 phone numbers and an email address, but 4 of them called at the house a few days after my visa extension application.  My wife had to close her shop and return home and call our witness to see if she could do the same with hers.

They said they were no longer giving notice of their visit.  They could call again in the future if it was not convenient.  They said some people had not been honest.  I have been honest for 18 years already and patiently give them again the same information they have already collected for each of these years.

What a waste of money.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

You can not stop anybody visiting your house, least of all the police

The thread is about HOME VISITS for checking on varsity of marriage. 

That's it. Stick to the thread.

I'm not married and do not use marriage extensions. 

= No home visit for the above mentioned reason. 

45 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The thread is about HOME VISITS for checking on varsity of marriage. 

That's it. Stick to the thread.

I'm not married and do not use marriage extensions. 

= No home visit for the above mentioned reason. 

While home visits are routine for marriage extensions (at least for the first one) there's nothing to say that immigration officials are limited to only visiting people on marriage extensions. As others have pointed out (and as the report from Hua Hin above shows) they sometimes do random checks on any and all foreigners in an area, regardless of what kind of extension they're on.

• Like 2

If you are on a retirement visa and genuinely meet the conditions such as age and financial obligations normally there would be no reason for a home visit  Although some local authorities in Thailand do seem to keep tabs on foreigners living in their district. Not likely to happen in big centers like Bangkok.

However, if immigration have information you may be working illegally, or have fudged the financials,  it's possible they may come knocking on your door.

What ever the reason, if you were to tell them to f off there's a good chance you will be answering questions at the Police station or wondering if you should have been more cooperative as you sit on the plane out. 

Being aware of the temporary nature of your permission to be in a country like Thailand should guide your attitude towards the guys with the power to make your day very bad. Not every country gives you multiple court avenues to plead your case.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

If you are on a retirement visa and genuinely meet the conditions such as age and financial obligations normally there would be no reason for a home visit  Although some local authorities in Thailand do seem to keep tabs on foreigners living in their district. Not likely to happen in big centers like Bangkok.

However, if immigration have information you may be working illegally, or have fudged the financials,  it's possible they may come knocking on your door.

What ever the reason, if you were to tell them to f off there's a good chance you will be answering questions at the Police station or wondering if you should have been more cooperative as you sit on the plane out. 

Being aware of the temporary nature of your permission to be in a country like Thailand should guide your attitude towards the guys with the power to make your day very bad. Not every country gives you multiple court avenues to plead your case.

Sensible post.

However again like many you have taken your eye off the ball.

The topic was about random home visits for folk using marriage extensions.

I would avoid them by using retirement extensions even if I was married. 

It goes without saying that police can come knocking for "other matters". 

Clearly if I was involved in example car accident etc then you would/might be required to be interviewed by police. 

Very different things. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Ah, another keyboard warrior who (when safely tucked behind his PC) is bravely standing up to the Thai authorities...:coffee1:

PS. You should leave they soi dogs out or I might suggest some interactions you'll probably not like.

Love it. Who’s the warrior now, eh? No wonder they’re bothering you, some of the ‘quality’ tourists in Thailand tend to attract grief. 

It's just immigration doing their job - there’s nothing personal to it. 

Some people are ok with it, some loathe it, others feel it's an invasion of their privacy.

I don’t think I’d be pleased with some random immigration officers turning up and demanding to see inside our house etc and there is no reason to let them in. 

I’d be ok to talk with them out the front and answer a couple of questions. 

This doesn’t happen in Bangkok, but I have read plenty of threads where this happens elsewhere in fits and starts - its probably because the boss had an idea to do some checks. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

What are you on about.

This thread is about home visits.

The OP is on marriage extensions and his immigration office did random home visit.

I use retirement extensions.

As for general laws such as road laws etc etc .....I follow them.

What are you missing..

You wrote "I don't need to accommodate any clerk wishing to visit my home," which is what people are responding to. They are saying that you will absolutely have to comply with home visists if the government should decide it's necessary for retirement extensions. That's it, no one is saying that home visits are a thing for retirement extensions.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, glegolo18 said:

You got rules and laws from the goverment as per behaviour from the falangs. Meaning that there probably have been bad behaviour earlier.. fraud, scams etc.. fake-marriages etc from others... So why not???

If you have nothing to hide, who cares if the guys comes home and check on us?? I dont care, this is not my country, and I have no right to cry and complain about it..

Pathetic.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 7:21 PM, DrJack54 said:

Not sure if I'm allowed to say that statement is ridiculous, but it certainly is.

<removed>

Yes you are allowed to have your say, and you never miss out on that... Especially you seems to get stuck on me personally. I have never met you, never seen you nor talk to you. But you have always had quite bad comments towards me.

You can see how many likes I got on my above post, so why you not comment everyone that have the very same opinion as me, show what kind of an man you really are.

glegolo

28 minutes ago, glegolo18 said:

You can see how many likes I got on my above post, so why you not comment everyone that have the very same opinion as me, show what kind of an man you really are

Open eyes. Your post had several likes along with 24 sad, funny and confused. 

My post criticizing that same post had 29 like and 6 thankyou.

It's not a popularity contest but it's obvious many thought your post was strange. 

Hopefully your previous post and this one (my reply,) will be removed. Both off topic. 

First of all i really dont want to create an argument on this. But i believe we need to think objective here. 

i dont know about the thai immigration law on this but i do believe imm is free to come to visit your home or to do things like that (its how it is in many countries i believe and including USA). In the UK immigration can blast into your home not even knocking the door. Happened few of my friends. Also if you were an immigration officer and your duty is to check randomly foreigners, im pretty sure you would never care about privacy or else but to do your job as far as the law allows you. I think no need to react on this topic. Obviously it is their right to do and they can do and they are doing. Now i also agree that a good reason or explanation would be great thing to do by the IO which had ben done (many foreigner give wrong address) and tbh i totally agree with this reason. We all know many foreigners give some 5 min creation addresses. Also OP mentioned IO is 100m from his home. Again tbh it is a great opportunity for the IO to demonstrate its authority or power which is again i think very normal. 

I know it is very alarming, stressful that IO is coming to your home... but again i think they should do it. This way the dark side and the light side will be clear amongst farangs.. They will be happy and we will be happy (farangs who wants to live hear without any problem) After they check you 1 time, then they know you and you will be free for the rest. I would gladly accept a visit from IO about this. 

I just cannot see any reason to criticize IO who is just trying to their job. Clean their own country and find the good and the bad. I think this is very normal. But again i reply myself, they must do it legally. I mean if it is not in the law that they cannot visit you then yes, we have lot to talk. but if it in the law.. then thats the end. 

Edited by problemfarang

On 1/20/2022 at 7:11 PM, glegolo18 said:

totally agree. i also cannot see any negative thing that IO visits me. so what?! they will drink my thai ice-tea.. sit for 10 min probably... thats all... Now if they want to see my bedroom or else i would just ask them why, its my privacy.. because the reason why they are here is that many farangs give wrong address not to see my bedroom or bathroom. 

Now if they come 2nd time even if they saw me in their 1st visit, then yes i would make it an issue because obviously something is wrong here. 

again i have no problem they come to my home.

On 1/20/2022 at 7:21 PM, DrJack54 said:
On 1/20/2022 at 7:11 PM, glegolo18 said:

If you have nothing to hide, who cares if the guys comes home and check on us?? I dont care, this is not my country, and I have no right to cry and complain about it

Not sure if I'm allowed to say that statement is ridiculous, but it certainly is.

What's so ridiculous about IOs doing their job and expats not objecting to one of the ways they have to do it?

I'm sure there's types that would hate it of a couple of immigration officers showed up at their front door and treat them with disdain, I on the other hand would welcome them, be courteous, if hot outside offer them a water, in short be friendly, you never know when you'll be sitting in the immigration office and might need the assistance of a friendly officer, Thais are well known for remembering faces.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1