Random check by immigration

6 hours ago, Old Croc said:

If you are on a retirement visa and genuinely meet the conditions such as age and financial obligations normally there would be no reason for a home visit  Although some local authorities in Thailand do seem to keep tabs on foreigners living in their district. Not likely to happen in big centers like Bangkok.

No, it’s happened in Bangkok a couple weeks ago with me. By the way my apartment situated about 18 km from CW. I’ve applied for my first retirement non-O based on 800k in bank. Suddenly at Sunday I got a call from immigration officer that tomorrow at 1 p.m. he will be at my place. Usually at this time I study at Thai language school, I said that but officer refused  to change the time of visit. So at scheduled time 2 officers came to apartment by police car, make photos of mine in front of the room door, photo of mine and one of them, photos of my passport, bank book and lease agreement (despite all these copies they already have), photo of mine holding opened passport and bank book. Nothing more, took about fifteen minutes. One week late I’ve seen one of those officers at CW counter C speaking to another officer.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SergeD said:

This time I entered Thailand on visa exemption and right after staying in AQ at first working day headed to CW apply for a visa.

Out of interest, what did immigration want for proof of address for your non O retirement. 

TM30 and....? 

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

TM30 and....?

They accepted all docs which I attached to the application according to the list published on their website. In my case it was copy of lease agreement, copy of receipt (only first month of lease and insurance deposit because I’ve just got in), copy of apartment’s tabian baan (all building is in the possession of one company) and hand drawn map. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Sensible post.

However again like many you have taken your eye off the ball.

The topic was about random home visits for folk using marriage extensions.

I would avoid them by using retirement extensions even if I was married. 

It goes without saying that police can come knocking for "other matters". 

Clearly if I was involved in example car accident etc then you would/might be required to be interviewed by police. 

Very different things. 

The OP was indeed talking about his experience when holding a marriage extension and yet it was yourself who repeatedly brought up the off topic fact that you were on retirement and continually stated that you would remain on it even if married. You did it yet again in this post!  

I think you should also re-read my post. I was not talking about the obvious - "police can come knocking for "other matters".  My examples for a possible Immigration visit were about about breaches of extension conditions.

On 1/20/2022 at 7:05 PM, DrJack54 said:

3 months doesn't sound like a home visit. 

That would normally occur shortly after your extension?

I would be so upset with that.

Hopefully you will obtain a reasonable explanation.

Not nice.

My home visits are BEFORE my extensions are granted, in the 'under consideration' period normally 7 days after I apply. Now just one i o, and no BMW, as was before with 2 or 3 officers.

On 1/20/2022 at 7:11 PM, glegolo18 said:

You got rules and laws from the goverment as per behaviour from the falangs. Meaning that there probably have been bad behaviour earlier.. fraud, scams etc.. fake-marriages etc from others... So why not???

If you have nothing to hide, who cares if the guys comes home and check on us?? I dont care, this is not my country, and I have no right to cry and complain about it..

Yeh but not 3 months later, without phoning first.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Many reports of requesting "petrol money" etc.

In any event. Not the point.

I personally refused to have a home visit 

As mentioned several times above, I'm on retirement extensions..

I don't accept a home visit and they are not required for retirement extensions.

They are in Trat, and on applying 4 photos. Refusing a visit, could result in your extension being revoked.

Many reports of requesting "petrol money" etc

They tried that on me my answer was "You wanted to come, I didn't invite you, and you don't pay for the fuel" That shut them up, and have never asked me again, in the last 4 yrs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

They are in Trat, and on applying 4 photos. Refusing a visit, could result in your extension being revoked.

I live in Bangkok.

In any event I would use agent if lived in Trat and they had home visit policy.

There is a good agent on Koh Chang.

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I live in Bangkok.

In any event I would use agent if lived in Trat and they had home visit policy.

There is a good agent on Koh Chang.

What do you have to hide? Why pay 20k, instead of 1,900. Yes he is a good agent but I personally don't need him as an agent.

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

What do you have to hide? Why pay 20k, instead of 1,900. Yes he is a good agent but I personally don't need him as an agent.

Your missing the point.

BTW wouldn't be anything near 20k.

I would still have my own money in bank etc and all the requirements covered..

All of which is off topic. 

19 hours ago, greeneking said:

My wife had to close her shop and return home and call our witness to see if she could do the same with hers.

I've never had to give a witness on my marriage visa paperwork with Pattaya IO, is that something new or just for your IO?

1 minute ago, bbko said:

I've never had to give a witness on my marriage visa paperwork with Pattaya IO, is that something new or just for your IO?

Some immigration offices require witness. 

Recall a report where guy paid couple of random village folk for their trouble.

Bizarre indeed. 

• Like 1

Every year for the last 14 I've had to declare my children when doing my marriage extension. I have to produce photo's of them and show their original birth certificates. But the stupid thing about it is that they've never asked to see them in person. No real proof that they actually reside with us.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Every year for the last 14 I've had to declare my children when doing my marriage extension. I have to produce photo's of them and show their original birth certificates. But the stupid thing about it is that they've never asked to see them in person. No real proof that they actually reside with us.

I've never understand why if someone is obtaining extension based on marriage why do kids come into the equation.

They should be irrelevant. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I've never understand why if someone is obtaining extension based on marriage why do kids come into the equation.

They should be irrelevant. 

Because they consider having children additional proof that the marriage is real and defacto.

I'm not married and do not use marriage extensions. 

= No home visit for the above mentioned reason. 

I am married, had 1 home visit during period of marriage extensions.

Then Chiang Khan decided that they could no longer support my marriage extension as I could not prove "Affirmation of Freedom to Marry" (Ampere kept original when we registered our marriage, miss filed it  and could not turn it up again despite a whole day searching).

Since then I have been on retirement extensions and during said period have had 2 home visits (2nd when nobody was at home they never came back).

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Because they consider having children additional proof that the marriage is real and defacto.

Okay but if the IO has never saw them in person there is still no real proof that they exist. All they have are photo's and some birth certs. I really would not call that 'additional proof'. The way to get 100% proof is to see them in person. 

Edited by IvorBiggun2

On 1/20/2022 at 7:21 PM, Opossum said:

Welcome to Thailand...

There are some farang who have fake marriage to Thai citizens just to stay in Thailand.

They don't stay together and so it's better for immigration to just drop by anytime and not the appointed invited time where the wife can be conspired to be there at the right moment.

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

They don't stay together and so it's better for immigration to just drop by anytime and not the appointed invited time where the wife can be conspired to be there at the right moment.

But it has been stated over and over again ,they do surprised visits to try and catch you out only to find nobody in on turning up unannounced.  A wasted journey for what? An unannounced visit really proves nothing.

On 1/20/2022 at 7:05 PM, DrJack54 said:

3 months doesn't sound like a home visit. 

That would normally occur shortly after your extension?

I would be so upset with that.

Hopefully you will obtain a reasonable explanation.

Not nice.

Immigration visited the OP's home. That is a home visit.

They can visit at any time or (as in my lengthy experience) never.

Why get upset when their rules say that they can visit your home to confirm your claimed status at any time, announced or otherwise?

Explanation? Feeling entitled much? Maybe a new local Immigration office boss doing a box-checking exercise? Nothing to see here. Truly.

"Not nice" is a visit in their 'smart' BMW. Allegedly.

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Personally find that a very lame argument. 

May as well have "class A" marriage and "class B" 

Strangely both would require exact same financials.

Also opens can of worms. Perhaps the wife had children previously and subsequently child with current farang husband 

Potential divisions within the family from outside nonsense.

One child has some significance the others not.

Straight out weird. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Personally find that a very lame argument. 

May as well have "class A" marriage and "class B" 

Strangely both would require exact same financials.

Also opens can of worms. Perhaps the wife had children previously and subsequently child with current farang husband 

Potential divisions within the family from outside nonsense.

One child has some significance the others not.

Straight out weird. 

Eh?

You think (way) too much.

Personally I mean.

Edited by NanLaew

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Why get upset when their rules say that they can visit your home to confirm your claimed status at any time, announced or otherwise?

I'm not upset.

I simply pointed out that I would choose retirement extensions over marriage (if I was married) 

as I would find home visit unpalatable.

I underscored that with the hypothetical that if financials were the same then anyone over 50 would choose extensions retirement.