Is Thailand’s opposition ready for an election?

webfact

kk.jpg

By Cod Satrusayang

The news that 21 MPs would be leaving the ruling party after internal disagreements has kickstarted the slumbering Thai political landscapes.

Coalition partners on Thursday made calls and rushed meetings to ensure that their positions were secured. The ruling party called financial and political backers to ensure them that power still belong with them.

The opposition meanwhile kickstarted election protocols, with many foreseeing or predicting the demise of the Prayut Chan-ocha government.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/36777/is-thailands-opposition-ready-for-an-election/

ti.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-01-21

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 2

I do not know everything about Thai politics , but i am looking at just many many countries . What you are questioning is a joke . The sides between different political sides are getting bigger just about everywhere and i expect , with the history in Thailand , i expect it not to be any different . This means , no , it won't be any difference from the past , unless the biggest sides/party can talk to each other and do not attack each other on every single item . Since there is too much money to be made in politics , all politicians only care about their seat and attack the other side any which way they can . This is not a Thai problem alone , it is unfortunate happening everywhere .

• Like 1

An election while the economy is still struggling may not be a good idea. There will be delays in dispensing spending and critical legislations. Perhaps forcing him to resign by a no confident vote and elect an interim PM will be a better alternative. 

Taking into account the fact that one of the two opposition parties may be disbanded for any reason, or alternatively that some of their candidates will be banned, it's playing safe that each party has candidates in each consistuency.

On top of it, they will never be allowed to govern, so It's not very motivating.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The opposition meanwhile kickstarted election protocols, with many foreseeing or predicting the demise of the Prayut Chan-ocha government.

I really hope so, after 6 years of nothing from Prayut & Co it's time for a change... but I hope for a change for the better, not just more of the same.

On 1/21/2022 at 9:40 AM, Eric Loh said:

An election while the economy is still struggling may not be a good idea. There will be delays in dispensing spending and critical legislations. Perhaps forcing him to resign by a no confident vote and elect an interim PM will be a better alternative. 

But the soldiers will have to go too, otherwise what is the point?

21 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I really hope so, after 6 years of nothing from Prayut & Co it's time for a change... but I hope for a change for the better, not just more of the same.

It is time for a change as things could not be any worse, but we have to get these soldiers well and truely away and back to their barracks and parade grounds, that's where they belong, certainly not in any parliament.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Allies and substitute parties boost PM Prayut’s chance of another term
March 23, 2022

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/allies-and-substitute-parties-boost-pm-prayuts-chance-of-another-term/

Opposition politicians plan to seek a Constitutional Court verdict on whether Prayut can keep his prime minister’s seat after August, as the Constitution states that, “The prime minister shall not hold office for more than eight years in total, whether or not holding consecutive term.”

However, some observers view that the time limit should only be counted from April 2017, when the current charter came into force. Others insist that the eight-year period should start from when Prayut became prime minister after the 2019 general election.

NB The Section referenced  is 158. The argument supporting PM Prayut is that his 5 years prior to the 2019 was by Royal appointment only and unelected and therefore should not be considered as a first 'term' as would follow an election

Edited by jerrymahoney