MG pickup trucks. Comments on quality and buying on credit

notrub

On 1/21/2022 at 10:37 AM, Robin said:

Thai seem to have grossly un-realistic ideas of how much their used cars are worth. 

Used cars (or anything) are worth what the market can sell them for and used cars in Thailand sell well which, if you look at it objectively, suggests that the prices are what they are worth.   

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Poor maintenance, probably.

Electrics by Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.

But first, let us get the jokes out of the way to clear out our system for the knowledge to come.

The Lucas corporate motto: “Get home before dark.”
If Lucas made guns, wars would not start.
Lucas holds the patent for the short circuit.
Lucas – Inventor of the intermittent wiper.
Lucas – Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
The three position Lucas switch – Dim, Flicker and Off
The Original Anti-Theft Device – Lucas Electrics.
Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices

images

Replacement wiring harness smoke.jpeg.opdownload

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, ktm jeff said:
On 1/21/2022 at 11:26 AM, transam said:

You are talking about "British Motor Corporation" crud, that bought up most of the UK brands, the MG badge was used on their pepped up rides, because MG was the performance wing of Morris Garages, Morris brand was used on the grocery getters, which the Chinese should have used on their rides..????

The Chinese Maxus T70 "MG" has a Union Jack on the back....????

Expand  

Union FLAG.

Union Jack is just as correct.

17 hours ago, ktm jeff said:
On 1/21/2022 at 11:26 AM, transam said:

You are talking about "British Motor Corporation" crud, that bought up most of the UK brands, the MG badge was used on their pepped up rides, because MG was the performance wing of Morris Garages, Morris brand was used on the grocery getters, which the Chinese should have used on their rides..????

The Chinese Maxus T70 "MG" has a Union Jack on the back....????

Expand  

Union FLAG.

"Union Jack" is just as technically correct.

5 hours ago, transam said:

Have the Chinese or Thailand bought the Triumph name, or has Triumph (UK) built a factory in Thailand..?   ????

I personally wouldn't consider them / Triumph a Brit / UK company, simply because HQ registered in UK.  Manufacturing, part & labor now all Thai & Chinese parts probably.  Not Brit / UK made, that's for sure.  Will it follow MG's lead, with 'Brit Designed' designation ... ????

Harley going the same route ... blasphemy.  Although first thing my buddy did when he bought his new full dresser, was ditch the HD carbs & electrical for Jap upgrade.  Thought that way too funny.  He really regretted selling me his Hondas every time he 'upgraded'.

Same as all the USA companies, that Asia makes all their products for.  Simply 'badge' a USA name.

They you hear the die hard 'nationalist', crying buy 'American' ... ????

Sorry, best product for best price ... sold.  Sabre rattle all you want, but not with my wallet.????

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I personally wouldn't consider them / Triumph a Brit / UK company, simply because HQ registered in UK.  Manufacturing, part & labor now all Thai & Chinese parts probably.  Not Brit / UK made, that's for sure.  Will it follow MG's lead, with 'Brit Designed' designation ... ????

Harley going the same route ... blasphemy.  Although first thing my buddy did when he bought his new full dresser, was ditch the HD carbs & electrical for Jap upgrade.  Thought that way too funny.  He really regretted selling me his Hondas every time he 'upgraded'.

Same as all the USA companies, that Asia makes all their products for.  Simply 'badge' a USA name.

They you hear the die hard 'nationalist', crying buy 'American' ... ????

Sorry, best product for best price ... sold.  Sabre rattle all you want, but not with my wallet.????

Have a read................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Motorcycles_Ltd

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

What's even funnier is that Harley was manufacturing motorcycles in Japan before Honda. 

If that's not enough of a knee-slapper, what about Ford manufacturing cars in Japan before Toyota? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

What's even funnier is that Harley was manufacturing motorcycles in Japan before Honda. 

If that's not enough of a knee-slapper, what about Ford manufacturing cars in Japan before Toyota? 

Think Ford taught the Japanese a thing or two about assembly lines, after the war...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, transam said:

Think Ford taught the Japanese a thing or two about assembly lines, after the war...

Don't let a few facts get in the way of your prejudices. The Japanese actually produced the first mass produced 4 x 4 car in the world if you car to read as a matter of   further interest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_industry_in_Japan

But this thread is about MG pick-up trucks, which are Chinese 

7 minutes ago, Excel said:

Don't let a few facts get in the way of your prejudices. The Japanese actually produced the first mass produced 4 x 4 car in the world if you car to read as a matter of   further interest.

So why are you telling me about Japanese stuff, now come on....????

Yes I know the MG is a Chinese Maxus T70 thank you.....????

2 minutes ago, transam said:

So why are you telling me about Japanese stuff, now come on....????

Yes I know the MG is a Chinese Maxus T70 thank you.....????

So know you forget what you write now so I replied to your comment , and I quote

"Think Ford taught the Japanese a thing or two about assembly lines, after the war..."

Savvy ?

25 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

I don't know about the trucks but my 2015 MG6 runs great, no issues. When I lived in China, there were a lot of SAIC cars and they were fine.

I think many think about the Chinese engineering as they did the Japanese years ago. 

2 hours ago, Excel said:

Yes, it's not about Ford and GM dominating the Japanese automobile market prior tp WW2, or about the US teaching Japan how to build quality products after WW2. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, transam said:

Have the Chinese or Thailand bought the Triumph name, or has Triumph (UK) built a factory in Thailand..?   ????

I believe they are made , or maybe just assembled , in Thailand. Triumph brand name still owned by Keith Bloor ltd.

15 hours ago, Excel said:

So know you forget what you write now so I replied to your comment , and I quote

"Think Ford taught the Japanese a thing or two about assembly lines, after the war..."

Savvy ?

So what, are you having a bad day, or a Chinese car that's gone wrong......????

6 minutes ago, transam said:

I think you are right. Nobody can deny that, Honda being a cut above the rest in their ventures with many things....????

I have given the MG truck a drive it's not bad at all. 

I think the better test will be driving a 7 year old one say with good few miles on it. 

The biggest draw I see is the deal and price. 

I'd go for one. 

• Thanks 2

What a lot of variety in these comments!  The white TR4 above is the same as the one I had in Canada but mine was BRG. Thanks for the Lucas notes, pretty funny.  Also thanks to jaiyenyen, the only comment from an MG owner.  Also to EVENKEEL for suggesting a new Tata. I had no idea they are so inexpensive.  I worked in remote areas of Nepal some time ago and the only access to those areas b4 the hiking was by rough cut 'roads' through the foothills.  All the 'jeeps' were Tata long wheelbase copies of Landrovers.  I forget how many people exactly crammed into the back and on top but it was in the high teens.   But, transam, a friend just bought a new Honda and the dealer told him the battery needed to be replaced, after 6 months (not on guarantee) and a rust spot is bleeding from under the rear window rubber seal.  He was told to take it up with his insurance company.  That deflated my confidence in Honda although I otherwise agree with you. The history of British engineering and innovation far outshines many examples of manufacturing. They had a captive market, having invaded and colonized 1/2 (or more) of the world and they got lazy about how they went about producing in a competitive marketplace (or something).  Thanks for all the comments.  I suppose we all have a bit of extra time on our hands due to covid, sadly.  Take care, 

• Like 2