MG pickup trucks. Comments on quality and buying on credit

notrub

21 01 22

My trusty Tata pickup is getting on and I am thinking of replacing it.  I would buy used from an expat going home as I have seen some reasonable offers in the past.  I have not been attracted by the Thai used car dealers offers as they seem to want 60% of the new price for a 10 yr old anything.  (could be mistaken)  I thought about an MG truck as I have heard they are good value and offering 0% interest to buy on the never never.  Any comments please?  

• Haha 1

The MG truck is a re-badged Chinese Maxus T70....Have a search on revues/problems etc on the Net regarding the T70, the MG (variant) hasn't been around long enough for folk who thought they were buying a British ride to comment on a bigger picture.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you.  Do you know if there is there a Thai website showing MG models and prices please?  I am 90km from the nearest dealer or I would just go and look but do not go to that area often because of covid fears.  Thanks

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, notrub said:

Thank you.  Do you know if there is there a Thai website showing MG models and prices please?  I am 90km from the nearest dealer or I would just go and look but do not go to that area often because of covid fears.  Thanks

Seriously ... have you tried Google ????

https://www.mgcars.com/th/Home

https://www.mgcars.com/th/mg-models/new-mg-extender-gc/overview

https://www.mgcars.com/th/mg-models/new-mg-extender-dc/overview

If wanting to compare specs before shopping:

https://www.zigwheels.co.th/en/compare-cars

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, notrub said:

Seriously ?

Have a try: google "MG Thailand"... I think you'll get some interesting results...

• Haha 1

Haven't noticed many MG trucks on the road.  Plenty of cars, and establishing a good market for them, but not the trucks.

Would be great of any OWNERS chimed in, for the trucks.  Almost picked up one myself, almost.

Owners of the cars, ICEs & EVs (AN members), myself included, seem to be quite happy with the MG brand.  No major complaints so far.

• Like 1

It does make me chuckle seeing the MG name back on cars. Brings back memories of the Midget and even the MG Metro and Montego Turbo (2 of which I owned).

I chuckle more when I see many of the new owners going for the large "MORRIS GARAGES" decals on the side of the car, in the style of the "LEXUS" stickers that seem to be so common in Cambodia.

I guess you can turn a brand around, especially with so much time passed and so far from the origin, but MG to me still shouts "mediocre British crud that will fall apart fast". Of course they share nothing now but the name, so not a real comparison, but the new company did choose to revive the old brand.

16 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

It does make me chuckle seeing the MG name back on cars. Brings back memories of the Midget and even the MG Metro and Montego Turbo (2 of which I owned).

I chuckle more when I see many of the new owners going for the large "MORRIS GARAGES" decals on the side of the car, in the style of the "LEXUS" stickers that seem to be so common in Cambodia.

I guess you can turn a brand around, especially with so much time passed and so far from the origin, but MG to me still shouts "mediocre British crud that will fall apart fast". Of course they share nothing now but the name, so not a real comparison, but the new company did choose to revive the old brand.

You are talking about "British Motor Corporation" crud, that bought up most of the UK brands, the MG badge was used on their pepped up rides, because MG was the performance wing of Morris Garages, Morris brand was used on the grocery getters, which the Chinese should have used on their rides..????

The Chinese Maxus T70 "MG" has a Union Jack on the back....????

3 minutes ago, transam said:

You are talking about "British Motor Corporation" crud, that bought up most of the UK brands, the MG badge was used on their pepped up rides, because MG was the performance wing of Morris Garages, Morris brand was used on the grocery getters, which the Chinese should have used on their rides..????

Indeed, there wasn't anything particularly positive about any of them. I spent most of my childhood years in such glamorous rides as:

Austin Maxi

Austin Princess

Austin Allegro

MG B GT

Triumph Dolomite Sprint - boy did that go

Triumph TR7 - they knew how to make a good looking car, just not how to make it well.

Austin / MG Metro / Montego

The wonderful but badly built Rover SD1 Vitesse.

The oh so boring Rover 314 / 316

British Leyland et al were icons, for all the wrong reasons. All of this adds to the "what, an MG is now something to be impressed by?" feeling that the younger generation would not have nor probably understand.

Thanks for all your comments.  I too have experienced the joys of British cars in Canada and the UK.  MGB hard top, MGB soft top and long (long) ago my TR4A IRS. I could never understand why, when coming from the land of endless rain, my TR4 would not start in a downpour.  Lots of fun, however. When Nissan started up in the UK  some time ago it was a newsworthy subject that, for the first time in the UK, a manufacturer was going to encourage suggestions from its sub contractor suppliers.  They were even going to give them details of the entire vehicle that they were providing parts for.  The answer to why there were so many design peculiarities in all of my British cars came to me in a flash.  Why it took superhuman effort to operate one thing without scraping your knuckles on another.  The suppliers were providing an emergency brake handle without the slightest idea of where it was going in the car.  So, the seats and gear shift locations did not figure in their manufacture.   For example.

4 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Why not replace old Tata with new Tata?

369,000 tbh

1fH41m62085F01.jpg

Wow, are they that cheap?  My current Tata is just great.  Why did I not think of that?  Thank you very much!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, transam said:

Union FLAG.  Triumph (bikes) also had the flag on them. Made in Thailand.

• Sad 1