MG pickup trucks. Comments on quality and buying on credit

notrub

11 hours ago, ktm jeff said:
20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

...by a 100% British company.

Yes. In exactly the same way Benelli is 100% Italian. They just both source  components from asia.

Not at all, Triumph is a 100% British-owned, British company, Benelli is now a 100% Chinese-owned, "Italian" company.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I have given the MG truck a drive it's not bad at all. 

I think the better test will be driving a 7 year old one say with good few miles on it. 

The biggest draw I see is the deal and price. 

I'd go for one. 

Thanks ...

Back on topic, hopefully vs flags & Triumph

• Haha 1

On 1/21/2022 at 11:44 AM, KhunLA said:

Most buying now, either ignorant to their past production &  track record, or realize, it's in the past, and China is putting out a good, dependable product.

When I first saw them here, I thought, no way, since my brother & friend struggled with their MGBs & Midget.  Then realized, 'then & now', is completely different, 'brand / company', MG / SAIC. ????

I have a Navara, it's extremely versatile with a Carryboy fitted and is a manual, which I've always gone for.

We were looking for a smaller, automatic job for Mrs BM and purchased a ZS about three years ago and I have to say it's been great. Reliable, completely trouble free and I even like driving it despite it having no stick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Excel said:

Pathetic reply Transam, like your prejudices against Chinese automotive engineering.

Sunbeam, after a long life of buying stuff, I can categorically state that I can't think of one 100% made Chinese item that didn't last the course.

If the Chinese auto stuff was known worldwide to be great, then they would already be sweeping the auto market with winners, they haven't, they bought a British brand name and history to get on that sales wagon...

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 1:45 PM, billd766 said:

Electrics by Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.

But first, let us get the jokes out of the way to clear out our system for the knowledge to come.

The Lucas corporate motto: “Get home before dark.”
If Lucas made guns, wars would not start.
Lucas holds the patent for the short circuit.
Lucas – Inventor of the intermittent wiper.
Lucas – Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
The three position Lucas switch – Dim, Flicker and Off
The Original Anti-Theft Device – Lucas Electrics.
Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices

images

Replacement wiring harness smoke.jpeg.opdownload 5.65 kB · 4 downloads

Argh, it wasn't the greatest and brightest of kids at my school in Birmingham that ended up on a Lucas apprenticeship.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

It is a Union Jack when on a Jackstaff of a naval ship. Union  Flag elsewhere.

It doesn't really matter as most people understand what is meant by it. Only pedantics get their panties in a bunch over trivial items.

The rest of the English speaking world isn't really bothered.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Argh, it wasn't the greatest and brightest of kids at my school in Birmingham that ended up on a Lucas apprenticeship.

I wonder who made ignition systems for the RR V12 Merlin etc, 24 spark plug engines from way back when, was it Lucas..?  ????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

I wonder who made ignition systems for the RR V12 Merlin etc, 24 spark plug engines from way back when, was it Lucas..?  ????

But they had women working the lines during the war.

21 hours ago, transam said:

I can't find the answer to your question but I did a Google search I found a lot more out about the Merlin engine and its offshoot engine for British tanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I was inspired by this thread to check out an MG Extender, the Thai review site caught my interest but when checking online I couldn't really find any YouTube video reviews / pictures of the interior on the base models, only on the amazing looking high spec models.

We visited MG Khon Kaen today, I wasn't impressed. All the time the salesman was trying to push the wife the only truck that they had on display, the flagship model, trying to sell her on the lowest down payment and longest tenure. He wanted my wife LINE, so he could send her some details (??) I was more interested to know about the difference in spec between lowest 3 three models, but the salesman didn't have a clue, blaming his boss for not ordering a demo truck - no literature detailing spec other than the flagship model, just a badly photocopy sheet with prices, when told to shut up about money and I really pushed, he pulled out his phone, started searching frantically through his photo album. I got up and walked out.

I rode down the road to Toyota, an 90 mins later spent my money with Toyota. Shame really, I really wanted the MG, the extender looks great. One deal breaker, CarPlay is standard on all Toyota Z series, and only on top model MG.

Do people really just order something without seeing anything that resembles what they are buying? In Toyota, I asked to see something, either some pics, a video, or a basic interior, he disappeared and returned with a mid height that had been ordered, with the same spec as our prospective purchas, perfect.

On 1/22/2022 at 7:13 PM, Yellowtail said:

Yes, it's not about Ford and GM dominating the Japanese automobile market prior tp WW2, or about the US teaching Japan how to build quality products after WW2. 

The US didn't teach Japan how to build quality products, an American, W.Edwards Deming was responsible. His quality principles were ignored in his home country until it was too late.

• Haha 1