Jump to content

Are airlines currently strict about hand luggage?


Recommended Posts

Would Lufthansa care if my hand luggage was a 55 litre backpack? It's probably over their dimensions limits but I've never seen a full fare airline make a fuss. Plus, the plane will probably be half empty so do you think I'll get away with it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Would Lufthansa care if my hand luggage was a 55 litre backpack? It's probably over their dimensions limits but I've never seen a full fare airline make a fuss. Plus, the plane will probably be half empty so do you think I'll get away with it?

The ‘main carriers’ (i.e. National Carriers such as Lufthansa, Singapore, Thai etc) tend not to sweat things like that... especially once through check-in.

 

You always run the risk of a ‘jobsworth’ spotting the bag and insisting its too large and you check it in.

 

Thus: the question begs: Why do you want to hand carry ? is it because you are already checking in another 20 or 30 kg bag, or just don’t want to check anything in ?

 

 

There is usually plenty of space on flights at the moment... But, if there isn’t the Airline staff can put it in the hold when boarding (in which case you are not charged excess baggage for it - if thats the concern). 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The ‘main carriers’ (i.e. National Carriers such as Lufthansa, Singapore, Thai etc) tend not to sweat things like that... especially once through check-in.

 

You always run the risk of a ‘jobsworth’ spotting the bag and insisting its too large and you check it in.

 

Thus: the question begs: Why do you want to hand carry ? is it because you are already checking in another 20 or 30 kg bag, or just don’t want to check anything in ?

 

 

There is usually plenty of space on flights at the moment... But, if there isn’t the Airline staff can put it in the hold when boarding (in which case you are not charged excess baggage for it - if thats the concern). 

 

 

 

 

I'll be checking in one bag but it's not big enough for all my stuff so I'll put clothes in my hand luggage.

Link to post
Share on other sites

55 litres backpack is too big not to be noticed. Better chance with 2 X smaller bags. Plus you can always check in your backpack as a second check in bag as long as you are within the total weight limits.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

I'll be checking in one bag but it's not big enough for all my stuff so I'll put clothes in my hand luggage.

Makes sense then...  

 

16 minutes ago, gearbox said:

55 litres backpack is too big not to be noticed.

Valid point...    IF the large back-pack is noticed on check-in, it may get flagged by an over attentive check-in clerk (some are great, some love their little bit of power !).

 

If someone is coming to the Airport with you, ask them to hold on to the Back-pack while checking in.

 

 

16 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Better chance with 2 X smaller bags. Plus you can always check in your backpack as a second check in bag as long as you are within the total weight limits.

A option... usually its a ‘weight limit’ rather than a ‘piece limit’ (which is more common in North America). 

 

Thus, it very much depends what your luggage allowance is.. i.e. 30kgs or 20kgs... 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I came to Thailand with KLM in December. They weighed my hand luggage at check in and checked the dimension at boarding. They were taking oversize carry on bags off people to go in the hold, but I don't know if they were charging them for it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Makes sense then...  

 

Valid point...    IF the large back-pack is noticed on check-in, it may get flagged by an over attentive check-in clerk (some are great, some love their little bit of power !).

 

If someone is coming to the Airport with you, ask them to hold on to the Back-pack while checking in.

 

 

A option... usually its a ‘weight limit’ rather than a ‘piece limit’ (which is more common in North America). 

 

Thus, it very much depends what your luggage allowance is.. i.e. 30kgs or 20kgs... 

 

 

 

 

The cabin baggage is normally "eyed", the check-in baggage is always weighted. So if one has excess kilos, he/she needs to max out the check-in allowance with lighter items/bags, then go through with a small carry on bag with heavy items in it. I had normal looking cabin backpacks weighing 12-13 kg, never had problems going through.

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I came to Thailand with KLM in December. They weighed my hand luggage at check in and checked the dimension at boarding. They were taking oversize carry on bags off people to go in the hold, but I don't know if they were charging them for it.

Nasty...that usually happens when checking in. Have a jacket with big pockets and put things like power banks inside😀 If you have friends around give them a few items, then put them back after check in.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I came to Thailand with KLM in December. They weighed my hand luggage at check in and checked the dimension at boarding. They were taking oversize carry on bags off people to go in the hold, but I don't know if they were charging them for it.

Was this at AMS or at a feeder airport on their network?

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Was this at AMS or at a feeder airport on their network?

It was weighed at Manchester and the dimension check was at AMS.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

It was weighed at Manchester and the dimension check was at AMS.

Last time I went with them a KLM woman was snooping around the departure lounge at AMS and just deciding bags were too big or heavy and sending them off for loading. Never went with them again

Edited by clivebaxter
Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Excess would have to pay

Yes. Just 1 bag of 23 kg can be checked in. 1 bag of 8 kg for hand luggage. They don't actually point out the dimensions of the hand luggage unless you search the website though, which makes me think that right now it's probably not that important to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Yes. Just 1 bag of 23 kg can be checked in. 1 bag of 8 kg for hand luggage. They don't actually point out the dimensions of the hand luggage unless you search the website though, which makes me think that right now it's probably not that important to them.

Dimensions for carry-on baggage: max. 55 x 40 x 23 cm

https://www.lufthansa.com/gb/en/carry-on-baggage

If you bag has to be loaded into the hold most airlines wouldn't accept anything over 32KG in a single bag ( Health and Safety Rules)

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

 

Its abundantly evident that you are the epitome of class... But, please, try not to rub your obvious elevation in all of our faces.... you ‘better class visitor’ you  !!! 🍆 :whistling:

 

 

 

 

 

 

Class, not me fella. Some people always want to beat the system no matter how trivial and those people siht me to tears. 

Seems you are a fully paid up member of the Club.

 

Edited by sherwood
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:
49 minutes ago, bbko said:

Why not just check the obviously oversized backpack? 

 

52 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Excess would have to pay

Lufthansa international flight! Is this a joke or what?

Link to post
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Yes. Just 1 bag of 23 kg can be checked in. 1 bag of 8 kg for hand luggage. They don't actually point out the dimensions of the hand luggage unless you search the website though, which makes me think that right now it's probably not that important to them.

I always fly KLM with on one leg a second bag 23 kilo for around 80 Euros ....hand lugguage is 12 kilo allowed by them in economy...and max size for carry on is 115 cm in totall  (lenght X hight x depth )

Edited by david555
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Polar Bear said:
1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Was this at AMS or at a feeder airport on their network?

It was weighed at Manchester and the dimension check was at AMS.

How was the passenger load on both flights? Was that an Embraer or a bigger 737 from MAN? The flight to BKK would have been either a 787 or more likely a 777. Usually they get arsey about hand carry size or quantity when the plane is fully booked.

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

 

Lufthansa international flight! Is this a joke or what?

Looks like the issue is that only one piece of check-in baggage is allowed. I personally haven't encountered an airline with such a limitation, even the budget airlines limit by weight. With my last flight I had 35kg checked in, used 2 bags.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Looks like the issue is that only one piece of check-in baggage is allowed. I personally haven't encountered an airline with such a limitation, even the budget airlines limit by weight. With my last flight I had 35kg checked in, used 2 bags.

Air France, KLM, BA and Finnair also have 1 x 23 kg checked bag limits for coach. It seems to be the European carrier 'standard' for Economy.

 

For my last flight with Finnair, traveling in Economy with no frequent flier status, I also had two bags totaling around 40 kg but I had to pay extra for the second one. Usually it is cheaper to book and pay the excess online rather than at check-in. Faster too.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Looks like the issue is that only one piece of check-in baggage is allowed. I personally haven't encountered an airline with such a limitation, even the budget airlines limit by weight. With my last flight I had 35kg checked in, used 2 bags.

I still don't see the problem. Like @bbko said above. Check the backpack, job done.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd contact them.

 

If they say no when you get there extra baggage fees "at the airport counter" will be much more than prepaying.

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I still don't see the problem. Like @bbko said above. Check the backpack, job done.

Great. So you send me the £186.93 it costs to upgrade online to an extra checked in bag. Job done.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:
14 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I still don't see the problem. Like @bbko said above. Check the backpack, job done.

 

6 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Great. So you send me the £186.93 it costs to upgrade online to an extra checked in bag. Job done.

It's up to you. Pay the price or dump some stuff. In all the years I was flying I was never once overweight. And before you ask, that was always in economy.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Great. So you send me the £186.93 it costs to upgrade online to an extra checked in bag. Job done.

You should have checked your terms and conditions...next time use one of the middle eastern airlines, they usually allow higher weight limit and more than one bag.

If you haven't used your check-in kilos and do need the backpack, get rid of the check-in bag, buy a large lightweight duffel bag for backpacks, stuff in the fragile items in the backpack, put it in the duffel bag and then stuff in your clothes around the backpack in the duffel bag, until you get to your check-in limit. These duffel bags are pretty strong and won't break. After that all you need is a smaller cabin bag.

That's how we used to travel to Nepal for trekking, a backpack was essential but couldn't fit everything, so we used duffel bags and put the backpack plus extra clothing in it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

How was the passenger load on both flights? Was that an Embraer or a bigger 737 from MAN? The flight to BKK would have been either a 787 or more likely a 777. Usually they get arsey about hand carry size or quantity when the plane is fully booked.

I've got no idea what aircraft they were. Both flights were busy but not full. I had an empty seat next to me on both legs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...