Rules and regulations for electric installations in condominiums in Bangkok?

OneMoreFarang

Does anybody have an English translation of the electric code or whatever that is called for electrical installations in condominiums in Thailand and superficially Bangkok?

A long time ago back home I worked a little for an electrician company. We did the cabling in private homes and in industrial buildings. I also learned a job with electronics and I play around with electronics since forever.

IMHO I am able to do electrical installations and I am sure they work and they are secure (enough).

I plan to renovate a condominium unit from scratch with all new wiring etc.. So I have to make sure that it not only works but that it is legal under the local (Thai? Bangkok?) regulations. I.e. do I need electrical conduits in the ceiling? Or can I use electric wire trays? Do I need separate conduits and/or wire trays for low voltage and high voltage cables?

And about the installation: Does a certified electrician (company) has to do the installation? And/or is such a company necessary to inspect an installation and sign that it is properly installed?

Until now my plan is to hire a professional company to do the electrical installation up to and including the fuse box. And from there on I want to do my own installation with home automation, low voltage (5V to 24V) LED strips, etc.

With your answers please keep in mind that I write about my plans here because I want advice. And if the advice convinces me that I shouldn't do this myself then that is fine with me. The idea is to learn before I actually do it. Thanks.

@Crossy is probably in the MEA area so can be definitive.

However the condominium will almost certainly be the ruling party, I doubt that the MEA will do much if any checks apart from the main breaker and earth, and since you are in a condominium they may not be concerned at all.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

@Crossy is probably in the MEA area so can be definitive.

Nah, we scrape into a PEA area.

But if our OP is renovating an existing condo then there's no requirement for any PEA/MEA inspections so wire to your favourite country wiring code, pretty well all of them meet or exceed the Thai requirements.

IMHO AS/NZ 3000 (Aussie regs) is pretty close to what's required here but BS 7671 would work if you avoid installing ring-finals.

As @sometimewoodworker notes the condo themselves would be the ruling party as to whether you need to use a "proper" sparks. So your first port of call would be them, you'll need to get authority to do the reno anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cmarshall said:

I hope none of my neighbors in my building are DIY electricians.  

Do you think the average Thai sparky works so much better?

I saw a couple of installations in so called high quality buildings and shopping centers. I am sure if a farang-country licensed inspector would see that he would shut them down immediately. 

• Like 1

The problem with the Thai regs (apart from their being in Thai) is that there's no equivalent of a "domestic" installation document, everything is in one document. There's certainly nothing like the UK On-Site Guide.

I admit that I don't know where it goes on containment but in reality if cable is insulated and sheathed it can run naked in tray, if it's insulated only then it needs to go in conduit.

This PEA document is worth a look and to show to your sparks Groundwire Mk2 book-Manual.pdf

The important diagram with translations.

2067666515_GroundwireMk2book-Manual-1diagram.jpg.1fe497f85ee02abd050ed94353462911.jpg

• Thanks 1