Motorists in Thailand can now use digital driving licenses

webfact

6 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

Go to Playstore and change your country. Done.

Thanks for that, never had that problem with any other Thai app I've tried to download.

It said it can take up to 48 hours to update your country change, so I'll try again tomorrow and see how I go

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Simple answer to that. Don't break the law.

Thai police make the law up on the spot, decide you're guilty and 'fine' you OR you get a ticket & have to pay at the nearest Den of Iniquity AKA Police Stations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, it is what it is said:

assume it's designed to be downloadable and saved on a smartphone, thus readily accessible

How would you verify if license is current and not suspended. To keep it secure, it has to get this dynamic not static download in phone. It's not a credit card which you can download in iPhone wallet and which gets authenticated during run time. 

16 minutes ago, mikebell said:
1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Simple answer to that. Don't break the law.

16 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Thai police make the law up on the spot, decide you're guilty and 'fine' you OR you get a ticket & have to pay at the nearest Den of Iniquity AKA Police Stations.

Same old, same old. Gawd, this forum don't 'af get repetitive.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Motorists in Thailand can now leave their physical driving license at home after transport officials announced the introduction of digital driving licenses.

From the article:

"The DLT said that motorists still need a physical license in order to be able to legally drive in Thailand but can use the digital version as a means of ID."

So in other words, motorists can only leave the physical card at home if they don't plan to do any motoring...

Thanks for the clickbait ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paulaew said:

If you've renewed your license recently, you'll already have the QR code. But according to that article, you still need a physical license in order to drive legally in Thailand. The digital version can be used as a form of ID. But when was the last time you used your driving license as a form of ID? I've always had to show my passport.

If I'm stopped by the Thai police, I'm certainly not handing over my smartphone to show my driving license. I might not get it back.

Paul Laew

Whenever I'm asked to show ID I show them my Hong Kong ID Card.   Never had any problem.

Friends who have Thai driving licences use those.  

I don't know anyone who carries their passport around (or a copy).

So I no longer need the inconvenience of having my Thai driving licences in my wallet, all I have to do is go to a transport office renew my licenses for a digital version, attempt to log into a Thai government web site and register so as I can have EXACTLY the same information on my mobile phone. Ahhhhhh technology makes life so easy, NOT ????????

With the vast queues at the Chonburi Land Transport office in Pattaya every day now, an idea that encourages every registered motorist in the province to visit the office during a major outbreak of Covid (even if it is being effectively concealed by a lack of testing) is about as dumb as it gets.

4 hours ago, Paulaew said:

But when was the last time you used your driving license as a form of ID? I've always had to show my passport.

I use it all the time even on domestic flights Very rarely use passport. Sometimes people ask for passport and I hand over my DL and they just accept it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NumbNut said:

Just tried to install the android app and I get a 'This item is not available in your country' error message.

Fair enough... I'm in Cha-am.

try Aptoide. Many"unavailable in your country" apps are available, including banking apps.. Works both ways, Uk or Thai appsstores

• Like 1

I installed the app, got an OTP in email, scanned the QR code. It works fine, but I have to enter that same "OTP" every time.  I did not get to choose that 6-digit number so how will I remember it?

Oh, I know, I'll write it on the back of my driver's license.   ????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, it is what it is said:

assume it's designed to be downloadable and saved on a smartphone, thus readily accessible

Screenshot of your licence may be OK too. 

In Australia, can't use their screen shot. And your digital licence when displayed on your mobile you can turn mobile fro. PORTRAIT TO LANDSCAPE, then your time will be displayed to prove that the displayed Licence isn't a fake or just a screenshot! Very clever ????

1 hour ago, mahjongguy said:

I installed the app, got an OTP in email, scanned the QR code. It works fine, but I have to enter that same "OTP" every time.  I did not get to choose that 6-digit number so how will I remember it?

I installed the app and chose my 6 digit code to finish off loading the app this screen came up

IMG_0499.jpg.84c539d1d9f0436e39fb0515cf885db6.jpg

and I entered my own 6 digit code, then the screen came up again to confirm.

Now I log on with my own 6 digit code

Edited by ozfarang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mahjongguy said:

send a message to yourself......????

6 hours ago, paul545 said:

There is already an app but it’s in Thai ???? 

Maybe it's because we are in... uhm... THAILAND???

Actually, my German driving license app for some odd reason is in German. So is my physical license. I have always wondered why that is. And my French license for some incomprehensible reason is in... well....  French. To spin this further, it takes not much guessing in which languages driving licenses in China, Paraguay, Korea, Russia, Iran, Brazil etc. etc. are issued, respectively. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1