Motorists in Thailand can now use digital driving licenses

webfact

I have had the app for quite some time now.

It was easy to add my car driving license, but I can't seem to be able to add my motorcycle driving license.

I think this might have something with my car driving license being linked to my foreign passport number while my motorcycle driving license is linked to my Thai ID card. Can probably sort this out at DLT office, but can't be bothered right now.

Edited by wolf81

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You have to go to transport office and change to smart driving licences first, who would bother to do that?

Thats not necessary.... 

You can use the App (which is in Thai) - register with the ID number you use for your DL (Passport or Pink ID number)... Scan the QR on your Driving Licence and your details will automatically come up.

If you have two licences (Driving and Motorcycle) both will come up. 

You only need to go to your DLT if your existing licence does not have a QR code, in which case the DLT will exchange your old Driving Licence for a new one which has a QR code on it. 

As always the reporting leaves some confusion - but you do not hand in your existing licence in lieu of using a an app on your phone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolf81 said:

I have had the app for quite some time now.

It was easy to add my car driving license, but I can't seem to be able to add my motorcycle driving license.

I think this might have something with my car driving license being linked to my foreign passport number while my motorcycle driving license is linked to my Thai ID card. Can probably sort this out at DLT office, but can't be bothered right now.

This is exactly the reason both don’t come up (two different ‘ID numbers’)

Thus: IF you were go to the DLT and reissue your Car Driving Licence to your Thai ID (Pink ID?) number - then both will come up on the system.

OR, vise-versa and register your motorcycle licence to your Passport ID number, but then you may need to provide the ‘address documentation (affirmation of address / Letter of Address) which just adds more hassle. 

As it is the App recognises one or the other with a single registration, whichever you register first and not both at the same time. 

3 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Swap? So you can't keep both then. OK, no thanks. Smartphones are already becoming too indispensable. Battery goes on the fritz and you can't access your data to show the BIB, restaurant, airline check-in, etc. 

There is no need to ’Swap’..... that is just the typical shoddy reporting - You can keep both. 

The only swap necessary is IF your existing driving licence is slightly older and does not have a QR code on the rear.

IF your existing DL has not been recently renewed and does not have the QR code on the rear, you can get your physical card / driving licence swapped at your local DLT. 

The APP does NOT require you to swap out your physical driving licence in lieu of using the App. 

868330269_Screenshot2022-01-25at14_31_48.png.e550d854a047953699a85da40dbcb9b8.png

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is no need to ’Swap’..... that is just the typical shoddy reporting - You can keep both. 

The only swap necessary is IF your existing driving licence is slightly older and does not have a QR code on the rear.

IF your existing DL has not been recently renewed and does not have the QR code on the rear, you can get your physical card / driving licence swapped at your local DLT. 

The APP does NOT require you to swap out your physical driving licence in lieu of using the App. 

868330269_Screenshot2022-01-25at14_31_48.png.e550d854a047953699a85da40dbcb9b8.png

Thanks kindly for that clarification ????????

6 hours ago, NumbNut said:

Thanks for that, never had that problem with any other Thai app I've tried to download.

It said it can take up to 48 hours to update your country change, so I'll try again tomorrow and see how I go

Better to just set up a new email for Thailand. I switch between UK playstore and Thailand playstore just by changing email\account

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
7 hours ago, NumbNut said:

Thanks for that, never had that problem with any other Thai app I've tried to download.

It said it can take up to 48 hours to update your country change, so I'll try again tomorrow and see how I go

Better to just set up a new email for Thailand. I switch between UK playstore and Thailand playstore just by changing email\account

I have the same issues with other ‘Thai-centric Apps’ such as Section38 (TM30 reporting App) which is not on International App Stores...  (*somewhat ironic and typical that an Immigration App which foreigners are going to be using is not available on an international app store !!!!)

I am unable to switch location from the UK Appstore as I am locked into the UK Appstore with an open Apple TV subscription, thus I cannot change Appstore location while I have that credit - a very strange situation.

That said: The 'DLT QR Licence' App is available on the UK Apple store, so I imagine its available on others.

It could be just the Google Play store where the apple is not offered widely. 

18 hours ago, wolf81 said:

I believe your answer is correct. I added one of my licences, and the other was already there....

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 5:16 AM, paul545 said:

There is already an app but it’s in Thai ???? 

It used to work but have not been able to scan QR code on my license since it was updated last year. Have just given up with now along with so many Thai apps. Absolutely useless