Motorists in Thailand can now use digital driving licenses

webfact

27 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

If you've renewed your license recently, you'll already have the QR code. But according to that article, you still need a physical license in order to drive legally in Thailand. The digital version can be used as a form of ID. But when was the last time you used your driving license as a form of ID? I've always had to show my passport.

If I'm stopped by the Thai police, I'm certainly not handing over my smartphone to show my driving license. I might not get it back.

Paul Laew

Agree, I reckon it's a good idea to keep your license on you at all times when out and about. 

I'm always getting asked for ID 

BTW, my 5 year license is due next year so I've had the QR for a few years now 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

In order to use the digital driving license, motorists must swap their existing license to a new ‘smart’ license, which includes a QR code on the reverse and will then be linked to the mobile app. The change can be made at any DLT branch.

Presuming they have one...

I seem to remember a couple of years ago that statistics found up to 20%+ of motorcyclists didn't have one.

And a large majority of those m no insurance or road tax.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

new rule last year, they can't take your licence

They have not  been able to take your licence for three years now. They were still trying to take your licence in phuket and until I went to bus and go angry then he apologied gave it back to me and I recieved my ticket in the post this was already in 2019.

• Like 2

Didn't they roll this out a couple of years ago , and the head policeman says until the laws were changed in the Royal Gazette , the Police will not acknowledge the digital licenses . 

"I think they still prefer the paper ones with the Kings head on"......????

Edited by NE1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, arick said:

I have been using mine for almost two years.  I have had no problems in the last year with it not working. They have had the QR code for at least 18 months old news a again.  

No it is not 'old news'. It's new news letting us know that the digital version can now be legally used as an alternative to the plastic version.