Anyone renew an O/A visa this month

My O/A visa is up shortly, I know I can leave and come back and get a O visa.

HoweverI don’t want to leave the country yet, so if I do go and renew the O/A will the insurance amount be 400k or 3million.

Has anyone renewed this month and how much was the insurance requirement?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will be applying for a extension of stay based upon retirement of the stay a OA visa allowed not a renewal of a OA visa.

Until September 1st of this year you will need the same 40k baht outpatient insurance and 400k baht of inpatient coverage.

You are correct, apologies. 
My insurance company has quoted a 3million baht policy, I was under the impression that it was 400k until 1st September.

In Thailand things change daily I just wondered if someone had renewed this month and what was accepted.

Maybe the insurance company is having a lend of me, a trip to immigration looks to be on the cards and even then you get different opinions.

The O/A I will let it expire when I do exit the country.

• Like 1

Did my 1st OA extension Nov. 25, 2021 at CW. I have a 3m policy coverage, nothing was said regarding the coverage sum but she did take note and circle the health coverage expiry date ( June 23, 2022 ) and thats my permission to stay stamp not the full year. Like you I will be exiting without re-entry permit and return visa exempt or a 90 day Non O... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Many people have only needed the 40/400k baht insurance to apply for their extension of a OA visa since the new requirements came out. Immigration have not changed the requirements yet since it doe not concern them now.

Perhaps show this info on the TGIA website. https://longstay.tgia.org/guidelineoa

image.png.9450ae58770c63a71158c2a0fefbe3b8.png

Thanks for that I will print and take it with me just in case.

2 hours ago, Brer said:

My insurance company has quoted a 3million baht policy, I was under the impression that it was 400k until 1st September.

Someone on this forum said LMG is now only offering 3million baht policies, new or renewal. Do you have LMG?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mejomini said:

My immigration office required 3 million insurance, proof of 100,000 USD Covid coverage,

As you say you're renewing a retirement extension off of your O-A visa, did you try to renew your TGIA 40/400k insurance policy? If so, presumably this was denied and you had to renew at the 3 million coverage.....? Which insurance company and how big a jump in the premium? Thanx. 

3 hours ago, stag4 said:

Extended my OA at jomtien last month.

40K/400K plus 100K CV19 insurance policy LMG.

Had to show the 800K funds in bank book and letter from bank.

Does the 40k/400k include 100 k Covid insurance from LMG or have to buy separate 100 K Covid policy ? 

consider swapping out your O-A retirement extension for O-A marriage. No insurance required last Nov. Just show monthly foreign transfers of at least 40k baht or 400k deposited within last 2-3 mos. Best if you DO have family health cover but they have never asked for policy. Subject to change of course

On 1/25/2022 at 1:43 PM, JimGant said:

Someone on this forum said LMG is now only offering 3million baht policies, new or renewal. Do you have LMG?

I used LMG last year and was able to successfully renew my LMG OA insurance at the 40/400K coverage this past Friday. And I renewed at the same premium schedule as last year. In my correspondence with LMG they noted the new, increased coverage requirement and offered that policy coverage as well the renewal. In their email there was no mention about the new requirement not going into effect until 1 Sep 2022, though. So before renewing my LMG policy I contacted my visa agent. He confirmed with Chiang Mai immigration that I only needed the 40/400K insurance when I apply for my extension of stay next week. And no special, additional Covid coverage necessary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2022 at 7:17 PM, thaivisareader said:

consider swapping out your O-A retirement extension for O-A marriage. No insurance required last Nov. Just show monthly foreign transfers of at least 40k baht or 400k deposited within last 2-3 mos. Best if you DO have family health cover but they have never asked for policy. Subject to change of course

Ok I'm confused. What's an O/A marraige?

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Ok I'm confused. What's an O/A marraige?

You can obtain extensions from a Non O-A. 

Those extensions can be based on retirement or marriage. 

There is no such thing as a O/A marriage.

What they mean is annual extension based on marriage.

And including the info that the original visa was a non O-A.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You can obtain extensions from a Non O-A. 

Those extensions can be based on retirement or marriage. 

There is no such thing as a O/A marriage.

What the mean is annual extension based on marriage.

And including the info that the original visa was a non O-A.

Would that mean having 400,000 in the bank even if you have the required insurance for the original O-A?

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Would that mean having 400,000 in the bank even if you have the required insurance for the original O-A?

You can obtain extension to a non O-A based on marriage buy providing exactly what is required for extension from a non O based on marriage.

There would be no reason or requirement to have the 400/40 health insurance.

Many married guys with a non O-A have changed from extension based on retirement to based on marriage as a way to avoid the insurance requirement. 

If not married and wish to avoid the insurance then you need to exit Thailand to kill off the non O-A and then obtain new non O either from outside Thailand or inside..

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You can obtain extension to a non O-A based on marriage buy providing exactly what is required for extension from a non O based on marriage.

There would be no reason or requirement to have the 400/40 health insurance.

Many married guys with a non O-A have changed from extension based on retirement to based on marriage as a way to avoid the insurance requirement. 

It's just that there was a post earlier

( wednesday ) saying he had to show 40/400 insurance and 800,000 in the bank.

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He must have been applying for an extension from a non O-A and based on retirement. 

Checked back through and two posts saying 40/400 plus 800,000 asked for at Jomtien and Lampang, both on wednesday's posts. Re-newing OA.

Edited by overherebc

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Checked back through and two posts saying 40/400 plus 800,000 asked for at Jomtien and Lampang, both on wednesday's posts. Re-newing OA.

You don't re-new a non O-A.

As I've already mentioned that it appears whoever posted requirements of insurance and 800k is obtaining a 12 month extension from a non O-A based on RETIREMENT. 

45 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You don't re-new a non O-A.

As I've already mentioned that it appears whoever posted requirements of insurance and 800k is obtaining a 12 month extension from a non O-A based on RETIREMENT. 

Thought the OA was the one that didn't require money in the bank?

Just now, overherebc said:

Thought the OA was the one that didn't require money in the bank?

The non O-A visa does not require money in Thai bank.

For extensions from that non O-A the application would need to show money in bank along with health insurance..

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The non O-A visa does not require money in Thai bank.

For extensions from that non O-A the application would need to show money in bank along with health insurance..

So the only way to stay longer than one year with an OA without putting 800,000 in the bank or transferring 65,000 a month would be to go home and get a new OA visa.

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

So the only way to stay longer than one year with an OA without putting 800,000 in the bank or transferring 65,000 a month would be to go home and get a new OA visa.

Yes if you are referring to a Thai bank.

It is possible to stay for almost 2 years on a OA visa if you leave and re-enter the country just before it expires to get a new one year stay.

• Thanks 1

I was given an O-A long stay visa (based on retirement) in the U.S. in 2004 and no problems extending it until 2019. That year I was told I needed some huge amount of medical insurance- much more than my existing Aetna family plan. They told me to change it over to "based on marriage" which I did the next day. No specific insurance requirement. Been extending the visa that way since then. It still says O-A on the extension.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thaivisareader said:

No specific insurance requirement. Been extending the visa that way since then. It still says O-A on the extension.

Yep you no longer require insurance since your able to obtain extensions based on marriage.

For non married guys the only option is to exit Thailand to kill off the non O-A and and obtain a Non O retirement. 

That also avoids the insurance requirement.

An option that many have done in recent times. 

• Like 2

I applied last week for a 1-year extension on my permission to stay in Thailand, where my underlying Visa is a Type-OA. 

However I applied for reasons of 'marriage to a Thai' and not for reasons of 'retirement'.  

I was on a retirement extension at the time (due to expire in about 2 weeks) and upon my application for an extension (based on marriage) the old retirment extension was then immediately replaced by the IO at the local immigration office with a 1-month permission to stay based on marriage to a Thai ... and my paperwork is now being sent to Bangkok (I assume) where if it is approved, I should get another 11-months, to make up a full 1-year extension on my permission to stay (again, underlying visa is a Type-OA).

I suspect this is not what would help the OP, as I believe they are considering an extension based on retirement.  But the subject to this thread did not specify, and possibly others might be interested.

Originally I had intended to leave Thailand in Feb this year, and thus invalidate my Type-OA, and then re-enter Thailand in March on a Visa exempt, and immediately then apply for a 3 month Type-O visa, ... and toward the end of the 3-month Type-O visa's permission to stay in Thailand, apply for a 1-year extension based on retirement.

However the COVID situation globally (in Thailand and where I intended to travel) resulted in my cancelling my travel plans, and I decided it best/safest to simply stay in Thailand. 

Unfortunately, for a 68-year old, a one-year permission to stay extension on a Type-OA visa would mean a Health Insurance payments required for 1-year from a limited Thai list of acceptable (to Thai immigration) of Health Insurance companies. My excellent Health Insurance (that come with my pension, and that covers both myself and my Thai wife and that exceeds the 3-million Thai baht requirement coverage) is NOT on the Thai list.

I did not want to have to pay double health insurance (by buying extra insurance from the Thai approved list of health insurance companies), nor did I want to cancel excellent superior health insurance that comes with my pension (so to only have the Thai approved health insurance) - so I elected instead to go the extension by marriage route.

I should know in a few weeks if Bangkok approves the remaining 11-months on the extension application.

• Like 2