Zebra crossings would you or won't you cross

yeahbutif

5 hours ago, Speedhump said:

You couldn't see that I was clearly was talking about tourists' expectations? You live down to my expectations of forum pondlife...

Maybe you didn't read my comments earlier.

Most Asian tourists do know that they can only cross the Zebra crossing when there are NO incoming cars because in their countries, the rules are the same as in Thailand.

Not all tourists to Thailand come from western countries. In fact, the largest number of tourists to Thailand is from China.

If I were to visit Africa someday, I would read up on what's different in that country that is different from my country before I visit that place.

Edited by EricTh

11 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Maybe you didn't read my comments earlier.

Most Asian tourists do know that they can only cross the Zebra crossing when there are NO incoming cars because in their countries, the rules are the same as in Thailand.

Not all tourists to Thailand come from western countries. In fact, the largest number of tourists to Thailand is from China.

If I were to visit Africa someday, I would read up on what's different in that country that is different from my country before I visit that place.

You started talking about me personally. In any case Asian tourist will be used to far lower standards of road behaviour than westerners. Excepting Singaporeans who I'm sure are horrified at the antics here, but perhaps aware of them if they have visited other ASEAN countries. So, no comparison is possible and your insults towards western tourists (or towards me) are totally misplaced. 

I treat zebra xings in LOS like I treat any other stretch of road I have to cross there - with extreme care. And I will continue to do so. 

Cars just sail through even when they are augmented by traffic lights. They might as well not exist - waste of paint.

Taught how to cross the street over 60 yrs ago.  Nothing has changed since, as some drivers are inconsiderate idiots .... everywhere.  Thailand no different.

Look both ways, then again, then proceed with extreme caution.  If not ... well, we'll start a new thread tomorrow for you...dumb a$$.

About 2 pedestrians a day get killed, so I guess we're in for a bunch more news-blips, until they find something else to bore us with.  

And nobody blamed Trump yet ... now that's surprising.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

After reading these posts I almost have to start wondering how the Eye Doctor didn't see the Ducati motorcycle coming; it must of been at great speed. She had years of experience crossing streets in Thailand. Tourist have little chance compared to a Thai when it comes to crossing a street here.

I am sure there was a lot of noise from other traffic at the time.  There is constant honking and engines idling or accelerating. 

With the high rate of speed (still not determined) she probably never heard it.

I am also sure she never saw it if he was driving to the left of traffic or splitting lanes.

This is why I taught my kids to cross the street one lane at a time. Keep your head on a swivel until you are on the other side completely.

• Like 1

from all the coments people are saying zabra crossing are bad...surley would be  best not to have at all ?, all  comes to back to the same old story .. the big question is (why have any laws and rules if not enforced ) 

On 1/26/2022 at 10:24 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The term used by Brits is 'zebra crossing'.... not 'zebra is crossing' !!! 

Now.. who cares what its called by different nationalities ???

we all know exactly what is meant whether its pedestrian crossing, pelican crossing, zebra crossing, crosswalk, street crossing or just crossing...  

On to the bigger subject....

Can we trust cars to stop in Thailand at a crossing ? clearly not.

Even in the UK I don’t trust that - but crossing the road there is a far less risky endeavour.

Here... we just have to be patient and wait as long as possible, and even then we have to watch out for the motorcycle we initially didn’t see approaching at 120kmh... 

NSS
Who put that wild hair up your bum? Are you seriously that clueless as to what a joke is? Or are you just too sour and if you don't find it funny, you feel a burning need to make an unneeded disparaging comment? That somehow make you feel better?

• Like 1