Zebra crossings would you or won't you cross

yeahbutif

I remember Pattaya's   first ever Pedestrian crossing which was painted outside the Beach rd Police station, crossing from the Police station  to the Beach side   took  you into   a large tree,  A few yards either side would have been much better

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Zebra crossings have flashing amber Belisha Beacons and are not the same set up as the original crossing started in UK.

The nearest thing that associates them to a UK crossing is what Thais call them " Zebra Path ".

The ones in Pattaya have traffic lights........but they still just get ignored!!

24 minutes ago, LittleBear57 said:

I have have felt bad when stopping to let pedestrians cross only for them to be almost hit by impatient motorbikes riding around me.

Yes it's a real concern. You're encouraging them to cross. I don't know what the answer is. Using hazard lights while stopping may help a little, but the general selfishness and careless attitude towards the lives of others  probably outweighs it. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

The crossing light on very busy Soi 3 by the turning leading to Bumrungrad Hospital stays green for pedestrians for about 11 seconds.

I was there last night and noted again the countdown starts at 15 seconds, but of course the first few seconds are taken by things still going through. And I posted elsewhere today about trying to cross the road at the traffic bridge of soi 3 over the Saen Saep canal in order to follow the canal path, where there is nothing to help--but it is probably best to keep in mind that there is nothing anywhere.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Give it a couple of weeks and it will be forgotten, personally I'd avoid zebra crossings

As a general rule it's better to consider ANY street or highway crossing to be dangerous, only slightly less than driving these roads.

It's been said countless times but bears repeating:

Anybody on/near/within sight of a road in Thailand is at risk of injury or death. Drive and walk defensively at all times if you value your health.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Only foreignes call em Zebra crossings they are not called that in Thai. 

I've lived in a few different countries and never heard them referred to as "zebra crossings" until I moved to Thailand. It's quite odd though... personally, I've never seen a zebra crossing the road in Thailand.... Your experience may be different than mine though ????

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

As a general rule it's better to consider ANY street or highway crossing to be dangerous, only slightly less than driving these roads.

It's been said countless times but bears repeating:

Anybody on/near/within sight of a road in Thailand is at risk of injury or death. Drive and walk defensively at all times if you value your health.

In hearty agreement with you on that one. I pay attention to what traffic is doing even when I'm on a sidewalk around here. Why on earth anyone would depend on the supposed safety of being within the confines of a designated crossing area is beyond my ability to fathom.
That said, I'm not going to join those looking down their noses at this latest push for enforcement in this area. It may well go by the wayside, just like seemingly every other political or traffic related campaign. But can't we at least be pleased that they are actually bringing the issue to light and hold out a modicum of hope that it may make somebody think a second or two more than they ever have in their life about the issue? I didn't mean to say you were saying that, but a lot of other posts were going off on that whole "Thailand is full of nonsense" kind of rant/put-down, rather than appreciating the point of what's being done, even if it may not be the end-all panacea.

5 minutes ago, connda said:

I was almost hit the first week in Thailand.  From that point onward when crossing I keep my eyes turned in the direction of traffic the entire trip across.

Yes, same here.
AND be sure to look for ghost riders coming from the wrong direction as well! That whole thing I was raised with as a child has never been more helpful than when living in Thailand - "Look BOTH ways before you cross". And as you noted, that phrase could be appended with, "and keep looking until you're safely on the other side."

5 hours ago, malt25 said:

A substantial speed bump just prior to the crossing would help.

Back home, they frequently have a number of different systems to draw the attention to drivers at pedestrian crossings.
There is sometimes a sign right in the middle of the road, signs on the side of the road, signs and flashing lights overhead, and what has seemed most effective to me as a driver are the flashing lights right in the roadway at the crossing area. But in the end, there is always going to be the numbskull who thinks they are more important and will violate the warnings. That doesn't mean I don't think they should be there. I think the flashing lights are a great assistance to draw the attention of drivers otherwise perhaps not noticing a pedestrian.
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.96CWH-dOQssjcAlwoQrzbwHaE8%26pid%3DApi&f=1

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.xyaRb1a20_urJzYjQiTSKwAAAA%26pid%3DApi&f=1

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.CDqlsNytw9_UXFfv5694jwAAAA%26pid%3DApi&f=1

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.EHzJk071AiMlgmR4HozbTgHaJ4%26pid%3DApi&f=1

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, connda said:

I was almost hit the first week in Thailand.  From that point onward when crossing I keep my eyes turned in the direction of traffic the entire trip across.

About 14 years ago I crossed on a zebra crossing that took me across two dual carriageways with a small halfway pavement that was wide enough for 4 people . I had looked before crossing and traffic was a good 200 yards away but it seems like they accelerated to try and scare me . Herein lies the problem , because a westerner on holiday may take it for granted that Thai drivers react to zebra crossings the same way as is done in developed countries . There is little if any respect for the driving laws in Thailand , hence their high fatality rate on road accidents . Tourists coming to Thailand ( there will not be many ) should be forewarned / inducted on the dangers of Thai roads and driver behaviour  . 

There are all those little and big statues of zebras at various Buddhist shrines by the roads and sidewalks. But no native zebras, unlike elephants and roosters. Is it an urban legend that each of those statues represents a person killed or injured in a crosswalk?

If I ever find out my number is up with no insurance knowing private hospitals look at me like a ATM will try to fix something that can't be fixed just to soak the baht out of me I will one morning give the wife a big hug along with the family tell them I'm going to take a walk on the beach that is when I plan to use the cross walk????

17 hours ago, EricTh said:

This topic keeps popping up almost every year but foreigners still don't want to change their attitude.

Thai apologist much ??... why are you aiming this at foreigners....

There is national outage due to the Dr. who was recently killed crossing the road - Thai’s want this as much as foreigners...  just take a look at the Thai forums. 

The issue are: everyone drives like everyone else... so even when we (foreigners) want to stop at a pedestrian crossing we may decide not to because there is a car close behind us and we want to avoid an accident. 

When on a motorcycle, I certainly do not want to stop because I’m frightened the car behind will run into me. 

We, the motorists in Thailand (all of us) are at fault for these attitudes which require a whole cultural shift if the driving society is going to evolve into something a little more civilised. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sig said:

I've lived in a few different countries and never heard them referred to as "zebra crossings" until I moved to Thailand. It's quite odd though... personally, I've never seen a zebra crossing the road in Thailand.... Your experience may be different than mine though ????

The term used by Brits is 'zebra crossing'.... not 'zebra is crossing' !!! 

Now.. who cares what its called by different nationalities ???

we all know exactly what is meant whether its pedestrian crossing, pelican crossing, zebra crossing, crosswalk, street crossing or just crossing...  

On to the bigger subject....

Can we trust cars to stop in Thailand at a crossing ? clearly not.

Even in the UK I don’t trust that - but crossing the road there is a far less risky endeavour.

Here... we just have to be patient and wait as long as possible, and even then we have to watch out for the motorcycle we initially didn’t see approaching at 120kmh... 

6 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Foreigners? You mean tourists, who come expecting some decency and respect from road users, not knowing the savagery that takes place here. ????

Instead of expecting every country to behave the same way as your home country or speak the same language as your home country, why not just learn their local behavior and local language?

29 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Instead of expecting every country to behave the same way as your home country... 

You couldn't see that I was clearly was talking about tourists' expectations? You live down to my expectations of forum pondlife...

29 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Edited by Speedhump

Talk is increasing fine to 4,000 baht if the police stop everyone the breaks the Zebra Crosswalk law eventually the pain on the wallet will start to correct people’s thinking. Of course you’ve always got to be cautious. Turn the pressure up make people pay if they can’t pay confiscate and impound the car. Not let any off for any reason or what their statue is.

• Sad 1

About 25 years ago was crossing at zebra crossing in Chiang , with lights .Girl on motor bike came through RED light and cleaned me up .4 weeks in hospital contact the police to get her to pay. Answer she have no money, she whant me to pay here hospital bill. True story

• Like 1

Wise words from many years ago in Thailand:

" pay not the slightest attention to zebra crossings, they are merely there to give a little international cosmopolitan flair and have nothing at all to do with crossing roads"

Always remember that no rider/driver wants to stop at one either, as the likelihood of them being rear-ended increases exponentially if they do.