off grid solar earthing question

Hello all

I am trying to put a plan together for a solar off grid system with dc ac inverter set up.

There is no mains electric.

the nearest house with electric is 2 miles away.

My question is how do arrange earthing for the dc side and the ac side. 

Do I link -dc    and -ac to earth?

I cannot watch anymore utube.  so much conflicting  information. 

I just need a simple earthing plan.

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

Not an expert, but would think no different than if connected to PEA.  Your energy source / inverter will connect to your breaker box, assuming grounded / earthed, as it should be.  

Hope to be corrected, if mistaken.

1 hour ago, michaelgoulden said:

where would I find a 48volt pack? or can I just buy 4 batteries and put in series.

Many 48V packs on Lazada in various sizes, or DIY a pack yourself.

Using series 12V packs can have pitfalls, many don't guarantee correct operation over 24V total (the BMS fries) and there's a risk if they get out of balance they will cut off charge / discharge early so you lose capacity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Many 48V packs on Lazada in various sizes, or DIY a pack yourself.

Using series 12V packs can have pitfalls, many don't guarantee correct operation over 24V total (the BMS fries) and there's a risk if they get out of balance they will cut off charge / discharge early so you lose capacity. 

the problem is many on lazada are unbranded and the prices are so much different 1000s baht difference its hard to choose one you can beleive in.Has anyone one bought a 48v system with bms on lazada they could recommend? Also many suppliers say its an order from china 15 days with ups or whatever do we end up paying more in import taxes.I would rather buy in thailand knowing the price is fixed.

4 hours ago, michaelgoulden said:

thanks for your ideas

where would I find a 48volt pack? or can I just buy 4 batteries and put in series.

This one is big, branded and expensive 10KWhr .... 78Kbht.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/must-10kwh-ess-tesla-powerwall-48v-200ah-lifepo4-battery-hybrid-grid-home-solar-energy-storage-system-i2777108044-s10101632895.html

And there's guys building smaller ones at a more reasonable price 6KWhr .... 30Kbht.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i2646833087-s9512437008.html

Both these sellers get good reviews, and the products are in Thailand.

Lazada also guarantees all products sold through Lazada includes any taxes.

Best not to put them in or too near your house, shed in the garden job IMHO.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

If your system is isolated and the manufacturer of the inverter doesn't require earthing in this case, I wouldn't connect it to earth. Because touching any blank wire wouldn't result in an electric shock. An isolated, unearthed system is already what you achieve by using an "Isolation transformer" in an earthed system.

Earthing one wire and touching the other, the then "live wire", could give a shock.

Edited by willi2006
typo

@SomchaiDIY Great videos, thanks for posting.

I'm somewhat intrigued as to why he places his surge suppression next to the panels, my mind places them next to the expensive inverter.

I also use 2-pole DC MCBs on the panel strings to ensure nothing is going to bite when I think about replacing failed MOV cartridges.

Thoughts??

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

@SomchaiDIY Great videos, thanks for posting.

I'm somewhat intrigued as to why he places his surge suppression next to the panels, my mind places them next to the expensive inverter.

I also use 2-pole DC MCBs on the panel strings to ensure nothing is going to bite when I think about replacing failed MOV cartridges.

Thoughts??

I agree,

Most combiner boxes have a fuse on the + and the - coming from the PVs.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I see he has surge protection at each end of the dc line

One mov set at combine boxes and one mov set at the inverter board

Maybe this is good for the long line from solar panel to inverter

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SomchaiDIY said:

I see he has surge protection at each end of the dc line

One mov set at combine boxes and one mov set at the inverter board

Maybe this is good for the long line from solar panel to inverter

Thanks, I admit I didn't watch the videos in detail, most of these things are mind-bendingly boring, a simple diagram would do the job for the engineers here. 

It certainly cannot hurt and it's not like these beasts are particularly expensive.

But from personal experience these DC MOVs go leaky rather than actually tripping the "replace" window, leading to the inverter complaining about "leakage", just more things to check to get back online.

28 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Thanks, I admit I didn't watch the videos in detail, most of these things are mind-bendingly boring, a simple diagram would do the job for the engineers here. 

Sorry for the boring video maybe my english confusion about this post area

I was thinking the person asking about ground was not tech engineer and looking for some basic idea

My mistakes sorry I did not understand this is a post area for tech engineer

10 hours ago, SomchaiDIY said:

Sorry for the boring video maybe my english confusion about this post area

I was thinking the person asking about ground was not tech engineer and looking for some basic idea

My mistakes sorry I did not understand this is a post area for tech engineer

No, you get me wrong, the videos are fine and just right for this area of the forum. IMHO he would do well to include simple diagrams as well, but that's just me.

The "boring" bit is my personal feeling, I hate watching instructional videos which is why I skip-watched and missed the suppression at both ends (I'm still not really convinced but he does have fairly long runs).

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yes I agree. These You Tube things are difficult to watch for engineers but they are useful for the non-technical person even if only to show how complex or, conversely, how simple some things can be.

Also the You Tuber gets paid for the video.

Don't forget to watch the video on how to understand a "simple diagram".

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Crossy said:

But from personal experience these DC MOVs go leaky rather than actually tripping the "replace" window, leading to the inverter complaining about "leakage", just more things to check to get back online.

If I were putting my PVs in a flat open field, I'd want protection against lightning strikes.

On a car port next to a house ..... pointless ..... lightning don't strike there.

For the site in the video a simple DC switch is enough.