Eighty percent agreed it is not worth traveling outside Thailand now

webfact

On 1/28/2022 at 8:21 AM, kcpattaya said:

The MAJOR problem here is the indecisiveness of this Junta admin.
Todays' rules and policies are changing on a daily basis, for no reason, so you don't know what's waiting upon your return from traveling.

Not worth the hassle.
It is KILLING the economy - that is for SURE.

Totally agree that rules changes are a major problem. I have just returned from one month in Australia the problems at both ends are just not worth the effort. Too many problems to list. My recommendation dont travel internationally at the moment, wait.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2022 at 5:21 AM, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

I agree it is not worth leaving if you do not have too.

However, if you have obligations elsewhere and you do not have a choice it is not that difficult to leave or return.

I was in Thailand from May 2021 to September 2021 and had an vital, must attend meeting, forcing me to leave Thailand.

Left without any issues.

When I landed in the USA I had a text message the vital must attend meeting was canceled.  <deleted>

I rebooked my return trip for 3 weeks later (covid rules) and returned without any issues.

This month, I had to return again and there really was not any issues, besides a covid test 24 hours before I was to depart.

Most of the so called issues are not that difficult, if you are able to count to 10 and follow instructions.  LOL

You're right. Of course the occasional trip that goes awry gets in the news but the overwhelming majority get round the, admitted, inconveniences and silliness. 

Compared to Bali, where I mostly spent winters for many years, this country is a walk in the park, although the idiocy of wearing a mask, metres from anyone, in a breezy park, persists. Though masks off when all squeezed into food halls and eateries. Go figure.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2022 at 9:46 AM, James105 said:

I think many people will be wondering what exactly the (scientific) purpose is of making potential visitors go through the pain and stress of testing on departure, testing on arrival and testing on day 5 for covid in a country that already has thousands of confirmed covid cases every single day, especially when the consequences of a failed test (regardless of whether the test is accurate) means a 2 week imprisonment.    A 10 year old would be able to work out the cost/benefit ratio of this and ascertain the stupidity of it.   

You are right. It is arbitrary to test foreign travellers for something that is endemic in the country. Why not test people who cross provincial or district borders? What began as a plausibly rational precaution has now taken on an irrational bureaucratic life of its own. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, James105 said:

I wouldn't hold your breath.   The only logical reason for having such a convoluted and expensive system (for the traveller) in place when covid is already spreading as it is in the country is that somebody in power is making a lot more money out of testing and quarantine than they would do if the borders were open as normal.   If my cynical view is correct we are waiting for that person/group to either do the right thing, or they get to a point where they feel they have made enough money, or we get to zero covid, whatever comes first.   

If anybody had that much power they wouldn't need to profit from the covid tail wagging the dog. They would have many more lucrative channels. Chaos and bureaucratic inertia are more likely than the evil tyrant hypothesis.

• Thanks 1

Yes, very sorry, and I have just come back / Got back in !!! As well YES, this ALL is very true. And for us older people the Insurance Problem is the Real one. ... and well the worst of the whole lot !!! ….  Al the rest IS manageable (If you have a social science, and computer studies degree right ? ) …. and it is not that expensive really if you get it all right, and have Luck, and do not get Canceled ... Well just choose the right options !!! right !!! ...

But well yes, as I was <Deleted> ing myself, about as my Time came up … of a Positive result !!!  …. and at that time in Auz, even getting tested and getting the result back in time ... Could and I say Could as I got 2 !!! Really easily !!! ... but even being classified as a Primary contact Could have cost me a LOT of time ...

Though well SIA still has a full transferable ticket, if your flight is canceled and only $130 if you cancel it (e.g. Test Positive I guess ? ... ) And the Idle ASQ Hotel was offering totally flexible bookings, ..if your trip was canceled or you had another good reason I think ??? ….

So well more expensive than going down the shop !!! But well, ... Possible also ... like I found the Australian Thai emboss in Canberra,  Very VERY helpful you know VERY helpful !!! ... (And a certain man who’s name began with P up the chain a bit I think ? In Pacific Prime Insurance Brokers also ….. )

…. But yes, back to the start again ….  in November ... (F'ng) Insurance again !!!  ???? .... Right ???

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 1/28/2022 at 7:38 AM, realfunster said:

Where are these 'many eateries' located ?

I have been to 10+ restaurants in the past month in Bangkok and a test has never been requested. 

I have been to a few in Pattaya area with similar results. Testing never mentioned once!

On 1/29/2022 at 9:27 AM, meechai said:

Antarctica??

Well, while I may bite the bullet to buy health insurance (still mentioned with '100,000 US$' on that website, to enter Thailand, I am not willing to juggle several policies, or fork out for a whole year; so, Laos and Cambodia, it's been nice knowing you...

Mind you, I'm not against health insurance cover as such, but I hate worrying all the time, whether I will get the hospital costs I paid already, back, or whether the insurance company will quote some clause to avoid paying my claim.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

I hadn't seen the survey but I put a similar question on another thread last week. I got two answers about Health Insurance for returning retirees. Both said I should get a 30 policy as Thai Immigration are letting long stayers in with that. 

I replied to both that it seems a bit risky, and you are relying on the person on the desk being in a good mood that minute when you turn up, or they don't look too hard at the policy.

On 1/28/2022 at 3:39 PM, Nickelbeer said:

The most misguided post I have read in the last ten years.  The sex industry in Thailand has not been destroyed, it has merely morphed into a different form.  The only lives that have been "ruined" are those who contracted AIDS or were killed by abusive punters. Most women return to their villages and live well if they have saved their money.  Your take on the sex industry sounds like an evangelical preacher.  If you don't like sex, then stop having it.

This is not the correct topic to discus the impact the sex industry has had on girls in Thailand.  So I suggest you raise another topic in another more relevant forum if you want to evangelise it's benefit's to Thailand.

On 1/30/2022 at 3:00 PM, jacko45k said:

I have been to a few in Pattaya area with similar results. Testing never mentioned once!

One eatery here in Jomtien had a huge sign that indicated that only vaccinated customers were welcome. The place is almost always deserted, as well it should be. I am not going to carry around my Vaccination certificate in order to eat at a substandard restaurant. Thai people are absolute masters at shooting themselves in the foot. The government works overtime on killing the economy and business owners seem to follow suit.  The two largest breweries could bring down the government if they worked together. MONEY is the engine that runs the economy.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2022 at 10:19 AM, Oblomov said:

You're right. Of course the occasional trip that goes awry gets in the news but the overwhelming majority get round the, admitted, inconveniences and silliness. 

Compared to Bali, where I mostly spent winters for many years, this country is a walk in the park, although the idiocy of wearing a mask, metres from anyone, in a breezy park, persists. Though masks off when all squeezed into food halls and eateries. Go figure.

It's not possible  to eat with a mask on!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nickelbeer said:

One eatery here in Jomtien had a huge sign that indicated that only vaccinated customers were welcome. The place is almost always deserted, as well it should be. I am not going to carry around my Vaccination certificate in order to eat at a substandard restaurant. Thai people are absolute masters at shooting themselves in the foot. The government works overtime on killing the economy and business owners seem to follow suit.  The two largest breweries could bring down the government if they worked together. MONEY is the engine that runs the economy.

Your vaccination  certificate is in your phone via the mor prom app

On 1/28/2022 at 9:41 AM, dutchweller said:

Australia only require a RAT test administered at a Clinic with a certificate issued by a doc for entry now (500 Bhat ) each for pre departure testing

I agree Im returning home soon, tickets are cheap.  Australia still requires the pcr test within 72hrs of departure and no quaranteen on arrival.  Just a RAT test within 24hrs of arrival

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/preparing-to-travel-to-australia-from-overseas

26 minutes ago, Nickelbeer said:

I think a lot of places have signs up asking for testing/vaccinations, i guess just to comply with the rules. Most don't actually ask you to show proof. If they did no one would go in, i certainly wouldn't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigT73 said:

I agree Im returning home soon, tickets are cheap.  Australia still requires the pcr test within 72hrs of departure and no quaranteen on arrival.  Just a RAT test within 24hrs of arrival

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/preparing-to-travel-to-australia-from-overseas

It's either a RAT or a PCR

All inbound passengers must provide a negative accepted COVID-19 test result. These tests can be either:

• A nucleic acid amplification (NAA) test, such as:
    • polymerase chain reaction (PCR, or RT-PCR) test
    • Transcription mediated amplification
    • Loop-mediated isothermal amplification; or a
  • A rapid antigen test (RAT) (also described in some countries as a lateral flow antigen detection test or similar). This must not be confused with a lateral flow antibody detection test. For the purposes of pre-departure testing it must be an antigen test.

https://www.health.gov.au/health-alerts/covid-19/international-travel/inbound#predeparture-testing

Edited by dutchweller
  • Like 1

Thanks for clearing that up!

The only thing that sucks about the RAT it must be done 24hrs before boarding, it should be on the same 72hr window.  You still could get Covid after the RT-PCR 72hrs prior, its not like u go into isolation after your test.

4 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

I am not going to carry around my Vaccination certificate in order to eat at a substandard restaurant

No need to make a fuss.....I simply have a picture of it on my phone. They can scan the QR code on it too I guess. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2022 at 3:00 PM, jacko45k said:

I have seen only ONE in Jomtien. Big sign saying No vaccination certificate, no service. No customers, nearly bankrupt. 

1 hour ago, Nickelbeer said:

I have seen only ONE in Jomtien. Big sign saying No vaccination certificate, no service. No customers, nearly bankrupt. 

I have seen a few with signs who don't bother too....... you know how it goes here.

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2022 at 10:24 PM, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I hadn't seen the survey but I put a similar question on another thread last week. I got two answers about Health Insurance for returning retirees. Both said I should get a 30 policy as Thai Immigration are letting long stayers in with that. 

I replied to both that it seems a bit risky, and you are relying on the person on the desk being in a good mood that minute when you turn up, or they don't look too hard at the policy.

What is a "30 policy"?   Never heard of it.