Best travel funds for NZ

Planning for a longer holiday in NZ. - What is the best way to pay bills while there?

A. Just take Thailand-issued debit card, as it can be used easily.

B. Take a big stack of cash, cause 'you never know', and it's safe to carry cash around.

C. 50% cash, and Thailand debit card for 'the rest'.

D. Travellers cheques.

Cards can be used just about everywhere here in NZ and for many businesses, they prefer card to cash. There are a small number of businesses (often smaller businesses in the hospitality industry) which don't accept cash. Hardly any don't accept cards these days (a few vendors at farmers markets spring to mind but that is about all I can think of).

Cash is useful when negotiating a price at smaller hotels which are often owner-operated. If you deal directly with the owner, look for a 20 - 25% discount off the rate for cash. If they won't give you that, offer to pay with your card....some will then accept the offer and take the cash.

We spent 3 weeks there and what's mentioned above is spot on.  Cards are accepted everywhere.  And ATMs abound. 

Is a Thai ATM the only card you have?  Not sure about the rates for them.  I use Schwab.  No ATM fees and great exchange rates.

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Is a Thai ATM the only card you have?  Not sure about the rates for them.  I use Schwab.  No ATM fees and great exchange rates.

Yes, that's why I'm asking. Have lived the past two decades in Asia. A bit worried that I will be down there in NZ and that card 'doesn't work'. I thought of taking cash, but the exchange rates in NZ seem to be pretty bad. As for buying NZ dollars here, I'm not thrilled walking around NZ with half a dozen bundles of cash. 

Can tourists open a bank account there? If this were possible, I'd like to do that, just depositing the money in Auckland, withdrawing if I needed it in Dunedin...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

TBH, I always travel with 2 cards.  Just in case one doesn't work.  Which has happened to me several times.  Make sure you notify the bank you'll be traveling.  We've used our Bangkok Bank card several times while traveling, but mainly use Schwab.  Never a problem in several different countries.

• Like 2

If your card has a fee for overseas purchases and use of overseas ATM'S then cash might be better. In Australia there are cards that have no points but offer a good no fee service. If Thailand has the same that would be good.

If wanting NZ dollar to be bought with Thai Baht the best exchange rate might be at a money exchange in Thailand. In Australia the main money change companies have bad rates. NZ may be the same.

• Like 1

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

TBH, I always travel with 2 cards.  Just in case one doesn't work.  Which has happened to me several times.  Make sure you notify the bank you'll be traveling.  We've used our Bangkok Bank card several times while traveling, but mainly use Schwab.  Never a problem in several different countries.

Well, I'm planning to use my card mostly just for hotel bookings (Agoda, etc.), anyway, perhaps to book trips, too. Still pondering whether I should take half or only a third in cash. Strange thing is, that some hotels, even if you book with card, still want cash on arrival. - Pre-Covid, I used to do all my bookings well before travelling, but that's not an option anymore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Well, I'm planning to use my card mostly just for hotel bookings (Agoda, etc.), anyway, perhaps to book trips, too. Still pondering whether I should take half or only a third in cash. Strange thing is, that some hotels, even if you book with card, still want cash on arrival. - Pre-Covid, I used to do all my bookings well before travelling, but that's not an option anymore.

Agoda and other big sites you can of course just pay in Thai Baht as though you were in Thailand. Exchange rate should be OK. No fees. 

Just now, Fat is a type of crazy said:

If wanting NZ dollar to be bought with Thai Baht the best exchange rate might be at a money exchange in Thailand. In Australia the main money change companies have bad rates.

Yes, but I could only buy 50s in Thailand now, so I'd need a briefcase of cash... As for Australia, seconded, the rates one gets are pretty bad.

20 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Can tourists open a bank account there? If this were possible, I'd like to do that, just depositing the money in Auckland, withdrawing if I needed it in Dunedin...

Strictly speaking, no, tourists cannot open a bank account on a tourist visa. You’re supposed to have a residence class visa or citizenship. 

• Like 1

Just now, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Agoda and other big sites you can of course just pay in Thai Baht as though you were in Thailand. Exchange rate should be OK. No fees. 

Yes, I'm not worried about the exchange rate, but more about trying to book on Agoda while in NZ, and my Thailand-issued card 'says no can do'. - I'd be screwed; no cash, and my embassy won't help me.

1 minute ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yes, I'm not worried about the exchange rate, but more about trying to book on Agoda while in NZ, and my Thailand-issued card 'says no can do'. - I'd be screwed; no cash, and my embassy won't help me.

When I go to Thailand I prebook most of my accommodation. Actually you did remind me that when I have booked in Thailand sometimes  the Australian bank wants to check I am me, by sending me a text, and I didn't have my Australian phone. Agoda wont mind but you might have to check with your Thai bank about whether they'll ask for extra security even if you let them know you are travelling. Sometimes though what they tell you and what happens may be two different things. 

7 minutes ago, mstevens said:

One hint. Buy any New Zealand dollars you’ a to bring in Thailand. Don’t exchange baht in New Zealand as the rates offered in Thai baht in New Zealand range from bad to horrendous. 

Yes, I checked a few rates. Looking at Westpac NZ's exchange rates (all currencies), I just thought: "What the ...!" ????

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mstevens said:

One hint. Buy any New Zealand dollars you’ a to bring in Thailand. Don’t exchange baht in New Zealand as the rates offered in Thai baht in New Zealand range from bad to horrendous. 

I just checked rates online with a few banks and money changers in NZ (e.g. in Wellington), but even the rates for USD, AUD, EUR, and GBP are pretty bad.

I've learned from past experience of foreign travel (lots and lots of it) never to rely on just one source of cash. I very nearly got caught big style in China when my UK debit card was swallowed by an ATM!

Traveler's cheques are so 20th century, I'm not even sure if they are available now. The modern way is to take pre loaded debit cards. You don't have to have a bank account to hold one of these. (or even two) You sign up at a bank branch near you, load it up with money and off you go. I used them when I was travelling between Egypt and Thailand before I came to settle here.

Here's one example in the link below.

SCB Prepaid tourist card

Edited by Moonlover
edit link
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

(...)

Here's one example in the link below.

SCB Prepaid tourist card

Thanks. That's great advice. - I contacted SCB on FB Messenger, but, so far, as replies to my pointed questions, only received short messages from their bot, in Thai with a purple cartoon character; cute but not helpful.

Do you know, whether I can also use it 'everywhere' in NZ, Oz, and online?

43 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Thanks. That's great advice. - I contacted SCB on FB Messenger, but, so far, as replies to my pointed questions, only received short messages from their bot, in Thai with a purple cartoon character; cute but not helpful.

They are Visa cards, so yes they can be used internationally. SCB seem to be aiming theirs at the inbound tourists. but I see no reason why they cannot be issued to out bound tourists as well. That what I used to do when flying out of Egypt.

I don't know about online though.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I have had bank accounts in Thailand with SCB and Bangkok Bank. I just had a standard debit card and both allowed me to make withdrawals at ATM machines in NZ, in New Zealand dollars, at decent exchange rates (but the rate is never as good as Super Rich in Bangkok). Bring some NZ dollar cash but also know that at any time you can use your Thai bank ATM card to get money locally, no problem!

• Like 1