Government Orders Inspection of Oil Palm Inventory

webfact

940657d9629c99323d3f4dd6eafb17f2_small.jpg

By Natthaphon  Sangpolsit

BANGKOK (NNT) - Authorities have ordered relevant government agencies to check up on the current inventory of oil palm in the country, as part of efforts to prevent stockpiling and mitigate rising prices.

Government Spokesperson Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana said Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha expressed concerns over rising palm oil prices driven by low production output.

The premier has urged relevant agencies, including the Ministry of Commerce and the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives, to inspect the inventory of oil palm at warehouses nationwide.

Commercial affairs offices are also working with the police to inspect storage facilities, extraction plants and refineries to prevent stockpiling.

Those found guilty could face up to 1 year in prison or a fine of up to 20,000 baht, or both, under the Price of Goods and Services Act BE 2542. They can also be fined up to 2,000 baht for each day of violation. Those who fake their inventory reports will meanwhile face up to 6 months in prison in accordance with Article 137 of the Criminal Code.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-01-31

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Authorities have ordered relevant government agencies to check up on the current inventory of oil palm in the country, as part of efforts to prevent stockpiling and mitigate rising prices

Seems everyone is jacking up prices... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, not much cooking oil on the shelves when I went to the distributor Saturday. 

Went to Big C Saturday, they have an entire aisle of shelves stacked with cooking oils..

must be thousands of bottles.

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Went to Big C Saturday, they have an entire aisle of shelves stacked with cooking oils..

I actually didn't look when I went to Big-CX on Sunday.... had already found some. The place I went to Saturday services the village areas, likely a lot of mom and pop stores. It is possible they had a rush on for the Chinese New Year too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Yes, but is it 'palm' oil or 'plam oil'?

Signs for one aisle in Makro list 'plam oil'. I also see it in the list of ingredients in other foods.

I became curious enough to do a web search and found nothing for plam oil. Unique to the Kingdom? Probably has magical healing properties is my guess, maybe even cannabis leaf infusion? 

Don't believe me? Start reading some labels.

TIT. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I actually didn't look when I went to Big-CX on Sunday.... had already found some. The place I went to Saturday services the village areas, likely a lot of mom and pop stores. It is possible they had a rush on for the Chinese New Year too. 

Personally I buy Coconut oil from my local CJ Store..

Saturday I was having a peek at Big C as I was going to Home Pro which is next door.