confused about student visa/passport

hiii. so i'm staying in thailand on a student visa, studying at a uni here, and recently i had made a new passport which i picked up from my embassy. i was given a letter from the embassy to give to immigration so that they could transfer my student visa over to the new passport... until a bunch of stuff happened and i was unable to go. so now i'm stuck with an expired passport/student visa (and an overdue 90-day report), an empty new passport and the embassy's letter. i tried calling immigration many times to ask what i should do but no one picked up (typical). i also asked my university if i needed any letter from them for the student visa renewal (since it's expired. i renewed it last september but it expired this month when my passport did), but they said they're not sure and i should ask immigration. i'd rather not make the trip to immigration without knowing that i have everything ready, because i live very far. i'm not sure what i should do now. this probably sounds like a stupid question but i'm on my own here. does anyone have any advice?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Are you currently on overstay ?

What is the date written on your permission to stay stamp ?

yes, i am. the date on my stamp was the 11th this month... i know i'll have to pay the fine, i'm just not sure about anything else that i'll need besides that. since i have to do two things...

Just now, xsiti said:

yes, i am. the date on my stamp was the 11th this month... i know i'll have to pay the fine, i'm just not sure about anything else that i'll need besides that. since i have to do two things...

you know it's 500 baht per day, right?

You’re in a sticky spot...  

What you will get on here are replies from a load of critical and bitter old farts who’ve forgotten that they were once young and mistakes happen or that people sometimes get overtaken by events outside of their control.

Someone will be along with better advice [ a poster who goes by the name - Ubon Joe who is up to date with a lot of the immigration laws and Immigration idiosyncrasies ].

The issue is somewhat complex because you entered on one Passport which has expired, have another passport you want to use, have expired Non-Immigrant ED visa and expired permission of stay (you are on overstay), missing 90 day report and want to add a new visa into your new passport when you are not ‘in country’ on that passport (as you’d entered on your other Passport).

Thus; I suspect the simplest (and possibly only) option is to fly to your home country (or a nearby country which doesn’t have a difficult entry requirements), pay your overstay fine at the airport (currently about 10,000 baht). 

You would then need to use your University Enrolment letter to apply for a new Non-Immigrant ED visa and then you are free to re-enter legally. 

Unfortunately, re-entry visa exempt wouldn’t work as you can’t turn a ‘visa exempt entry’ into Non-Immigrant Visa. 

Another avenue ‘could’ be to use an agent - they may be able to help, but as you are already on overstay this becomes risky and you could compromise your immediate future in Thailand with potential bans.

The safest bet is to fly out, you could actually already apply for a new Non-Immigrant ED visa online immediately and speed up your turn around time. 

https://www.thaievisa.go.th

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, 

you wrote>

i also asked my university if i needed any letter from them for the student visa renewal (since it's expired. i renewed it last september but it expired this month when my passport did)

If you renewed your student visa last september how can your your student visa issued by your university expired after 3month? normally a student visa is good for 1year. ? are you sure about it, I mean it sounds to me you only missed your 90day report and your student visa is still ok? 

38 minutes ago, bestie said:

Hi, 

you wrote>

If you renewed your student visa last september how can your your student visa issued by your university expired after 3month? normally a student visa is good for 1year. ? are you sure about it, I mean it sounds to me you only missed your 90day report and your student visa is still ok? 

I think because his passport expired and immigration only gave him permission to stay until that date.  I could be reading it wrong.

8 hours ago, xsiti said:

You should of already taken care of your extension of stay (it is not a visa) expiring  the day after you got a new passport.

You will supporting documents from the university to apply for a new extension of stay since your current one expired on the day your passport expired.

Go to immigration with the supporting documents for your extension of stay application and have enough money to pay the 500 baht a day fine for overstaying since the day your extension ended.

10 hours ago, xsiti said:

"until a bunch of stuff happened and i was unable to go." unless you where sick there is no excuse not to go.

Go to immigration now and sort out your stay here.