Will the Tourism Authority of Thailand ever invest in Formula One?

webfact

3 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Invest in F1.. It’s just what they need, Speed and Races, while reading another treat.. About 3.5 million Thais who suffer from rare diseases have no access to treatment and the usual farmer’s pension is 500/month.

Go figure ! ????

Not forgetting the fighter jets and submarines that are required.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, superal said:

Buriram would be great but sadly no international airport or enough hotels to welcome the many fans .Logistically Bangkok would be the place and maybe a brand new circuit on the outskirts could be purpose built . Thailand and F1 would be a major attraction and BIG money maker  

A BIG money maker - but for whom?

It would require massive investment, whether to construct a street circuit or a purpose built circuit, for a sport which is not particularly well followed in the country, and there already is an established event and circuit regionally speaking, just down the road in Singapore.

I am sure that the motor racing enthusiasts amongst the expatriate community would love it, understandably so; and those who would benefit from the building contracts would make big money, but otherwise?

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

How about Pattaya, they seem really keen on events that close the roads down and create traffic chaos. 

To be  honest although Pattaya and beach road would be great does anyone really think that F1 is gong to set up in a city that has as it's main tourism attraction Walking street and working girls.

Get rid of walking street as it is make Pattaya a truly family attraction and yes it would work.

Next would be around the royal palace.

My main concern is whether Thais and the people that do the work can actually make a paved road that would be safe for these cars.

The people that are going to attend the F1 circus want to party in high style and are not looking for boom boom

50 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

A BIG money maker - but for whom?

It would require massive investment, whether to construct a street circuit or a purpose built circuit, for a sport which is not particularly well followed in the country, and there already is an established event and circuit regionally speaking, just down the road in Singapore.

I am sure that the motor racing enthusiasts amongst the expatriate community would love it, understandably so; and those who would benefit from the building contracts would make big money, but otherwise?

Not particularly well followed in the country??  Where do you get that from??  It is extremely well followed.  

In 2011 Red Bull did an exhibition drive with Mark Webber, just three times up and down Ratchadamnoen.  Well over 100,000 people turned up for it, for around 7 minutes of "action".    I was there and it was crazy.  They had to delay the start so many times because of the huge crowds in the area.  So definitely there would be a massive appetite for an F1 race in Bangkok, on that you are very wrong.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

I took a taxi to Swampy airport yesterday via the Rama IX motorway.

I SWEAR I was right in the middle of a F1 race!

Thais would be well up there on the podium in F1 .....so long as there were only straights. You can forget it once the track has a few bends and chicanes.

2 hours ago, superal said:

Buriram would be great but sadly no international airport or enough hotels to welcome the many fans .Logistically Bangkok would be the place and maybe a brand new circuit on the outskirts could be purpose built . Thailand and F1 would be a major attraction and BIG money maker  

Chonburi Motorpark,

would have been ideal location if designed to accommodate F1.

I think the project is now mothballed.

https://www.apexcircuitdesign.com/experience/chonburi-motor-park

I hope not! It's already bad on the Thai roads and it will get even worse if you exposed Thais 'personally' to F1 driving. Even the farangs here will forget themselves (course after a drive up Highway 1 & 2 I've seen that's already happened.)

2 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I hope not! It's already bad on the Thai roads and it will get even worse if you exposed Thais 'personally' to F1 driving.

Yeah cause there is no motor racing in Thailand already.

My god some of you lot like to go neck deep with your Thai bashing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Maybe they could stage a hill climb in the north.. 

Yes indeed!

An every day experience to go shopping when I lived in Lanna. Photo taken in Chiang Mai Province:-

Road-To-Pai-Above.jpg

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Outside of this forum I doubt many at all care about K.Boss being caught.

Who cares what anyone outside this forum thinks?

...but I want to see that little ferret caught and put in jail.

As far as F1, I could care less.

• Thanks 1

Just now, DLock said:

Who cares what anyone outside this forum thinks?

...but I want to see that little ferret caught and put in jail.

As far as F1, I could care less.

I dont really care what people on the forum think.

most just seem to bitch and moan for the heck of it.

With the turgid motor car scene in LOS I'd imagine it would bring a nice little earner for some and satiated some of the petrolhead mob in LOS.  But sadly adding another GP to the list along with Singapore might not enthuse the owners of the GP. What say you motorsport enlightened AN fellows?

16 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I was watching the V8s at Bathurst one year when a massive kangaroo jumped out onto the track and a car smashed right into it. Driver was lucky to escape alive. 

So what! ...  happens every day inn downtown Sydney mate ! hahahahaha????