Police confirm action against taxi driver over threats after overcharging case in Phuket

webfact

The geese laying golden eggs are all dead. A Thai citizen "of Indian descent" - the "Thai Thais" call them "Khaek" (แขก) and can also stand for a "guest" - derogative though. 

Dr Sanil's son though, for sure, knew all this but did not accept the fact, that he, irrespective of nationality in his passport, is nothing but a dirty non-Thai. Welcome to the club of "dirty farang" (where I fit in), alien or, as example proves "Khaek". 

It will fizzle away and the taxi mafia, a well known powerful little organization in Phuket and Pattaya, will carry on the good work of destroying the little tourism business; if not foreign tourists then lets hit on the local boys and girls! 

TAT, any suggestion on how to turn this into a story of success, brilliance and happiness and "all big misunderstanding" between the loving Thais? 

Used the scumbags once or twice I think many years ago and quickly learnt, after being charged a terrible price to never go near the tip-rats ever again.

I asked around the decent Thais I met back then and quickly I had uncle, auntie, cousin, brother offer to help me.

I now offer to have friends and acquaintances picked up and taken to the airport by my house staff or by a few other folks I know who will gladly do an airport run or whatever for a far more reasonable price, do it kindly, and, far more safely that those nutter taxi drivers roll on the roads.

It's difficult for first time, of infrequent tourist visitors to know who to turn to in arranging transport here and there. 

18 hours ago, Regain said:

It needs exposing by a youtuber and smart camera work.

social media is the only leverage that works now.

Been saying this for a while.. Some hidden camera work.. Would not be hard.. 

Would go viral fast... and theres a endless supply of content here ! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I don't know why your post received so many likes.  This is not a cultural issue at all.  It is a morality issue.  All Thais know that corruption is wrong, but very few have the moral fortitude to do anything about it.  Thais will chose wrong over right every time...if there is money involved.

That is culture.. 

17 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Yet after many years of meetings seems to continue, how about stop the meetings and actually do something?

He does.. He counts his money monthly to ignore it.

The visitor / end user pays... The hotels are trapped and can do nothing but comply.. The locals get easy jobs doing very little each day and acting as the collectors.. and the local authorities all split the kickbacks that come up the chain and have private armies and purchasable local resident voting blocks for local elections. 

Theres no upside in stopping this, the only ones who pay dont count. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Unify said:

I just checked on Grab, from Phuket Town to Patong Beach (9.32 kilometers) is 367 baht. This is at about 4 PM. There's another setting on Grab that offers cheaper trips, but I've never gotten anyone to pick me up with it. Prices are lower when it's not a peak time -- under 300, a lot of the time for this same trip.

Things have improved a lot in the past few months, on Grab. I no longer find taxi prices a big problem in Phuket.

InDriver and Bolt here, too. You can beat Grab prices by quite a bit, if you like. Frankly, I don't mind paying a fair price.

But if you're wandering around on the street and ask a taxi driver, yeah. Chances are good they'll try to double the price.

Even that's a rip off. I took a Bolt taxi the other day in Pattaya, the trip must have been 15kms and it was 139 baht.

2 hours ago, Willy333 said:

Just use the apps (Bolt, JustGrab, InDriver),          way cheaper and no misunderstanding over the price.

Did you bother to even read the story... The whole point is he tried to use the apps, and the drivers have to cancel because the tuktuks mafia will beat them up and or trash thier cars if they dare come pick up a customer. 

15 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Did you bother to even read the story... The whole point is he tried to use the apps, and the drivers have to cancel because the tuktuks mafia will beat them up and or trash thier cars if they dare come pick up a customer. 

This story doesn’t mention that. Either way, you can always arrange a slightly different pick up point to avoid the tuktuk mafia. I’ve done it several times.

Ive lived in Phuket long enough to know they will get what they can out of you, long time ago having a night out in Patong ok time to go home so Im walking along the beach front they are all on your case "Taxi" how much to Nai Harn? 4000 baht was the reply, gimme a break will ya, 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Ive lived in Phuket long enough to know they will get what they can out of you, long time ago having a night out in Patong ok time to go home so Im walking along the beach front they are all on your case "Taxi" how much to Nai Harn? 4000 baht was the reply, gimme a break will ya, 

Fortunately that has stopped now in Pattaya with the new 'BOLT' company here. But it was never as bad as Phuket where the gangs of Thug Taxi drivers hanging around in gangs are very intimidating.

Edited by The Hammer2021

I used to eat at this little Deli in New York---and the owner (who obviously wasn't there) had a notice by the register. 

"if you dont get a receipt - your meal is free"   Put that sort of sign in all the Taxi's in Phuket.

Its wrong for the police to say -"The fee should be 400 baht and even that can be bargained"

People do not want to come on holiday and have to argue the price of a Taxi anywhere---They want to pay the correct amount, and the correct amount is whats on a meter. 

Make them put it on when they pick up a fare.  Have a notice in the Cabs telling the customer--the driver must put his meter on.

• Like 1