Thai notary public required to witness documents for Australia

I need to get some copy documents witnessed and certified as being true copies of originals for my Superannuation company. The requirement is as below...

"A person authorized as a notary public in a foreign country"

Does this mean a particular person who specializes in witnessing / verifying documents like a JP back in Australia? And is there such a thing in Thailand?

Or is a Notary public a person of position such as Police, Lawyer, Doctor, teacher etc? 

3 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

A notary can be obtained at your Embassy. I recently sold some land in the USA and went to Embassy to have papers (my signature)  notarized. 

I am up country, a long way from an Embassy or Australia govt office. It's just providing some updated details (Passport, Bank details) to my Superannuation company so don't really want to go all the way (400km) to Bkk 

I know an excellent Thai lawyer who is a Notary Public, but he is in Bangkok.

The thing is whatever Notary you use will need to see the originals and the copies in the same location at the same time, so you will either have to take or send all of your documents to whoever you choose.

If you don't feel comfortable putting your passport in the post it is going to mean a trip in person.

Just to clarify, the Thai version of a notary public is a "Notarial Services Attorney." It's a function regulated by the Lawyers Council of Thailand. You will find them in just about any city or town.

Paul Laew

• Like 1