SRT Prepares for Second Phase of Airport Link Extension

snoop1130

db880488b07ca06738af79b5dc7989fb_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - A budget proposal is currently being prepared by the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) to conduct a study for the second phase of extending the high-speed rail project, which will connect three major airports in Thailand.

Construction is already underway to connect Bangkok’s Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi airports with U-Tapao Airport in Rayong province. The SRT is also looking into the possibility of expanding the rail project into Trat province for its second extension phase, creating a Rayong-Chanthaburi-Trat link that will boost logistics and tourism in these provinces.

A proposal worth 100 million baht will be submitted to hire consultants and perform a study for a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) venture, as well as the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA). The process is expected to take about one year, with the results of the study to be submitted for consideration in 2024 and bidding scheduled for 2026.

The high-speed rail project, which is scheduled to be completed in four years, is one of the key infrastructure projects of Thailand’s flagship Eastern Economic Corridor project.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-02-02

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

"Rayong-Chanthaburi-Trat link ... will boost logistics and tourism in these provinces"!

I just leave it at that for everyone to digest slowly and nicely.

I rather prefer the idea of the submarine port on Koh Chang, the planned airport in Nong Khai or Mae Sariang and the rocket launch pad in Umphang. Any other ideas are more than welcome to add salt against the bland soup called "reality"! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pravda said:

Is express train ever going to come back?

Maybe once they get their act together, buy parts and upgrade their maintenance routines they can get the trains set aside for part salvage back into running condition.  They might then have the resource for the express service.

1 hour ago, Tracyb said:

Maybe once they get their act together, buy parts and upgrade their maintenance routines they can get the trains set aside for part salvage back into running condition.  They might then have the resource for the express service.

All express trains are already running on city line. It was a poor copy of HK Airport Express, where the part where the "city" line ended one station before airport wasn't copied here. Hence here you had 2 trains, a frequent one (city line) and infrequent one (express line) running side by side, and all the time savings of taking express were taken away by waiting for the train which was several times more expensive. More comfortable, yes, I liked the express train. But most of the time I took it, I was alone on that entire train. Unless city line stops at Lat Krabang, making it useless for going to airport, express line is very unlikely to make a comeback.

• Thanks 1

Good ???? Amazing isn't it. Thailand (for all the decrying, mocking, and derision the junta and the People are served up) can seem to be able to get a HS rail system in solid planning stages and short runs of track construction underway ... where in my home country which is one of the largest singular landmasses on the planet hasn't got one metre of such track and zero plans to build one either.