International Driver's License

ThaiPauly

Hi Guys

Where in Chiang Mai do I get one?

They used to do them in a little shop next to immigration at Promenada

but immigration is long since gone from there now, so does anybody have any recent experience of obtaining one?

I have been to told on this forum in the past that I don't need one if I wish to rent a car in the UK  and have a valid Thai DL.

But whenever I go back they always ask to see the IDL.

Anyway, help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

If you have a 5-Year Thai licence then you should be okay to use it in the UK. It used to be the case that you are okay for one year, not sure now how long though. 

You get your IDP from the Land Transport Office. The place where you tax your car and renew your Thai Driving licence etc.

At 500thb just get one … just in case a car hire company doesn’t know the rules …You will probably have to show the same paperwork  as when you applied for your 5-year licence… by the way it’s called IDP… International Driving Permit.

Found this … https://internationaldrivingpermit.org/country/thailand-international-driving-permit/

• Thanks 1

There's a huge difference between an IDL and IDP.  The former being worthless if confronted by the police.  The latter being recognized.  And required in many foreign countries.  You can normally still rent a car without one, but if involved with the police, problems can arise.

You can only get an IDP at the land transport office.  And not required in the UK as our licenses here have English on them.

• Thanks 2