Woman goes blind after getting parasite from Thai food - raw prawns blamed

webfact

A post with a link to the Bangkok Post has been removed as per forum rules:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEANNOW.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

9 hours ago, law ling said:

It's very scary visiting up-country and noting what they eat e.g. all sorts of gathered wild food e.g. water snails. I have to ask for some chicken or pork, but even that can be undercooked and bloody.

So true!

A lot of Issan food is a product of living in abject poverty I believe.  

Luckily my wife is of the newer educated batch of Issan cooks.  

I won't touch her mothers cooking.  She's been using the same unwashed cutting board for years for everything.

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I was recently told that GERD is the leading cause of death, of Thai women under 40 years of age. And this can often times be caused by fermented food, raw fish or meat, too much alcohol, or other funky food. This can be very serious, and should not be taken lightly. When I am visiting my family in Issan, I cannot believe some of the bizarre food they eat. Some of it is just strange to me. But, some of it cannot possibly be healthy to consume. 

One should never eat raw fish in the first place. Those parasites wreak havoc on your liver. Isaan is leading Thailand in liver cancer cases because of it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed and this is one which my Thai family in Lanna relished - Raw Pig's Blood soup, sometimes served with sliced raw pigs kidney as a side dish. Never for me as they usually ended up with a severe bout of Bangkok Belly!!

RAW PIG BLOOD SOUP AND BUFFALO...POOP! - EXOTIC CHIANG MAI MINISERIES -  EPISODE #3 - YouTube

It can be a lot worse than that. If the pork is infected with staphylococcus sus, it can be fatal.

Edited by placeholder
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, MarcelV said:

One should never eat raw fish in the first place. Those parasites wreak havoc on your liver. Isaan is leading Thailand in liver cancer cases because of it.

image.png.a14cca67a3a5a55341166f18efa6a2b3.png

Fresh water fish, molluscs,  and crustaceans are far more dangerous to eat raw than those from salt water.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

Will freezing kill the parasite just like fish are supposed to be frozen before used for sushi and sashimi.

If so it's an easy fix, but of course the prawns lose some quality by being frozen in the first place.

14 hours ago, Charlie Halliday said:

Never understood why people eat raw meat or seafood. Cook it. 

When it comes to  meat there is a difference between red and white meat, and as you say the latter should be cooked.

Red meat however is considered to be safer as can be seen with dishes such as Blue steaks and steak tartare.

Steak tartare comes from the old Tatars who would put the tough beef or horsemeat under the saddle and after riding all day it would be tender enough to eat.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

When it comes to  meat there is a difference between red and white meat, and as you say the latter should be cooked.

Red meat however is considered to be safer as can be seen with dishes such as Blue steaks and steak tartare.

Steak tartare comes from the old Tatars who would put the tough beef or horsemeat under the saddle and after riding all day it would be tender enough to eat.

and infused by saddle and horse sweat, yummy

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Haha 1