Norwegian expat killed in collision of two pick-ups in NE Thailand - wife injured

webfact

7 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Just because many foreigners are not used to driving on the left and often  cause accidents  by driving on the wrong side of the road I think its a bit premature to allocate blame. Its tasteless to take bets and turn death into a game.

'often cause accidents  by driving on the wrong side of the road"

Where did you pluck that pearl of wisdom from?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

'often cause accidents  by driving on the wrong side of the road"

Where did you pluck that pearl of wisdom from?

It's a very common  cause of accidents all over  the world but obviously more in The UK and Thailand

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQuestions/comments/7w2476/are_car_accidents_caused_by_tourists_driving_on/

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Bends are not dangerous if people drive properly. The rule is that each sticks to their own side of the road when using one. It isn't that hard.

Agree 100%.

Looks like the Mazda was going too fast and drifted into the Ranger.

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:
7 hours ago, Mywayboy said:

Odds On not the Norwegian. 

Why?

"Odds on" you have no idea, at all.

The odds are based on the fact that non-Thais usually drive responsibly and Thais often do not. That fact is indisputable to anyone except Thai apologists (not that I'm saying that is what you are). Of course, as he's been here for 10 years he might have picked up bad habits, but I doubt it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

According to the linked article reporting the accident, the Ranger was being driven by the Norwegian, The Thai was driving the Mazda.

That would seem to make more sense as the photo looks like it was the mazda that took the bend

• Like 1

RIP

And then you all cheap charlies tell me I'm crazy for buying a Mercedes-Benz and should instead buy a 300,000 THB second hand crappy Toyota or Mazda or whatever, cuz buying a Mercedes, specially here in Thailand is a waste of money????

Look at the Mazda in the picture for god's sake. If that farang had spent some more money on buying an S-Class (for example) maybe he'd be alive today....

Edited by alextrat1966
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Isaanlife
18 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Terribly tragic. Looking at the picture I wonder why the driver of the Ford Ranger died as the cabin and windscreen was still intact. Assuming it had an airbag? I would guess that the Thai driver of the Ranger was not wearing a safety belt. The Mazda definitely looks to be a weaker vehicle. Another needless loss of life and injury.

Why people guess is anyone's guess?

If you don't have any facts what's the sense?

18 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

a sign to indicate this  a dangerous bend and that the speed should be lowered might have helped, but in thailand drivers wouldn't pay attention to that sort of "details", it seems

It seems people will never learn, unless very firm measures are put in place ... and implemented! The way I see so many people driving every day on Thai roads, that would absolutely not be tolerated in Europe, there would be immediate loss of licences, heavy fines and even jail sentences!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Terribly tragic. Looking at the picture I wonder why the driver of the Ford Ranger died as the cabin and windscreen was still intact. Assuming it had an airbag? I would guess that the Thai driver of the Ranger was not wearing a safety belt. The Mazda definitely looks to be a weaker vehicle. Another needless loss of life and injury.

Likely internal injuries such as organ detachment & rupture, due to the massive deceleration forces.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alextrat1966 said:

RIP

And then you all cheap charlies tell me I'm crazy for buying a Mercedes-Benz and should instead buy a 300,000 THB second hand crappy Toyota or Mazda or whatever, cuz buying a Mercedes, specially here in Thailand is a waste of money????

Look at the Mazda in the picture for god's sake. If that farang had spent some more money on buying an S-Class (for example) maybe he'd be alive today....

Rather insensitive and very inappropriate comment on a post about human beings having just lost their lives.

I for one, don't need to know that you've got enough money to buy a Mercedes-Benz; and I don't need to read you mocking people that can only afford a Mazda or a Toyota as “cheap charlies”

As for criticising a dead man for not having bought an S-Class; had you even considered that he might have bought the best that he could afford. Didn't think so ¯\_()_/¯

• Like 1

16 hours ago, keystonecoppers2 said:

Catoni!          Could you please give us a definition on 

your word "requiescat"?

On this forum we do write in english!

Cheers!

“..Requiescat..” is a Latin word….prayer for the soul of a dead person…. Thinks of it as “rest” if you like.   The word “..pace..” is a Latin form of the Classical Latin “..pax..”.   …….”…peace”    in ..in Latin means same as ..in ..in English.   Latin can be a bit complicated, because there are different forms, and it changed over the centuries. A person raised with Classical Latin or street Latin would have a bit of trouble with Ecclesiastical Latin used in the Catholic Church.  They would understand much of it, but have difficulties also and not understand some of it. 
  Like an English speaker of today going back to 15th or 16th century England.  The English language changed. 
  My apologies to the moderators.  Just answering “keystonecoppers2”s question. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

As for criticising a dead man for not having bought an S-Class; had you even considered that he might have bought the best that he could afford. Didn't think so ¯\_()_/¯

No way! I don’t believe you…. You actually don’t think that the 300,000 THB second hand old Jap car isn’t the absolute best and the one and only option when buying a car in Thailand? 

Wow! Am I dreaming? This is a unique moment!! ????????

Now, in all seriousness. 

Get a grasp, my post isn’t about what I can or can’t afford, and neither is it to mock those who can only afford a Toyota. 

My post is to mock those who bash everyone who doesn’t buy what they think is the only appropriate thing to drive in Thailand (5 year old, cheap jap car). And so they will accuse you of many weird things for the mere fact of buying something they don’t recommend. Check the “Motoring Forum” for many such examples of this occurrence. 

Edited by alextrat1966

15 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's a very common  cause of accidents all over  the world but obviously more in The UK and Thailand

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQuestions/comments/7w2476/are_car_accidents_caused_by_tourists_driving_on/

This poor chap had been here for 10 years, not a tourist with the steering wheel "on the wrong side " .

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:
23 hours ago, Mywayboy said:

Odds On not the Norwegian. 

Why?

"Odds on" you have no idea, at all.

Edited 22 hours ago by Liverpool Lou

An educated guess based on Thailand’s appalling RTA death stats vs those of European countries,along with huge amounts of anecdotal evidence on the standard of Thai drivers. 
Who will win the English premiership (Liverpool?) no idea?  - no ,stats will  tell you it’s most likely to be Manchester city. 

• Sad 1

Impatient overtakers, two lane country roads. More so now during harvest time, with big, slow moving trucks. They cross lanes and head straight into oncoming traffic, thinking they'll have time to get around. The local police station parking lot has numerous smashed in pickups to serve as a lesson. But they don't learn.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alextrat1966 said:

No way! I don’t believe you…. You actually don’t think that the 300,000 THB second hand old Jap car isn’t the absolute best and the one and only option when buying a car in Thailand? 

Wow! Am I dreaming? This is a unique moment!! ????????

Now, in all seriousness. 

Get a grasp, my post isn’t about what I can or can’t afford, and neither is it to mock those who can only afford a Toyota. 

My post is to mock those who bash everyone who doesn’t buy what they think is the only appropriate thing to drive in Thailand (5 year old, cheap jap car). And so they will accuse you of many weird things for the mere fact of buying something they don’t recommend. Check the “Motoring Forum” for many such examples of this occurrence. 

Unique moment huh? I'm not sure so, since you posted similarly earlier.

If you weren't in quite such a haste, you might have taken note that in fact the Norwegian was driving the Ford Ranger.

Should we take your behaviour as typical of a driver of an S class Mercedes?

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 8:08 AM, Pique Dard said:

a sign to indicate this  a dangerous bend and that the speed should be lowered might have helped, but in thailand drivers wouldn't pay attention to that sort of "details", it seems

I never do because such signs , in all countries, are overly cautious. We've all seem them. Says 50 kph when one can easily and safely negotiate the corner at 80.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 7:40 AM, webfact said:

Police said that the collision happened at high speed on a bend notorious for accidents.

Thai drivers - farangs included - gotta go fast fast and arrive at their funerals quick quick!!!

Slow down, enjoy the ride.

Eloquent Pilgrim:   Thanks for clarification.

Regarding driving in Thailand: Drive ALL THE TIME defensively!!

Always have your eyes scanning your back mirrors, always 

scanning ahead of your direction and be prepared for that ANYTHING

can show up, ANY SECOND!  Been driving here 20 odd years, and my 

driving (NOT thai style!) have saved me from any hazards.

Be safe!         Cheers!

Catoni : Thanks for your answer.

That also explain the word "Requiem".

I just did not see the connection. 

I don`t think you need to apologise to the moderators,

In fact, I don`t think I was the only one wondering.

Cheers.

On 2/4/2022 at 8:01 AM, EVENKEEL said:

Any bet takers on who cut the corner?

Lets not jump to conclusions, could have easily been the Nord who forgot and drove on the wrong (right) side of the road. Or got distracted by the wife doing something.

From the aftermath photo of where the cars ended up, the Madza seems to be on the correct side of the road, while the Ford's rear looks to have swung out to the left after collision, leading me to thing the Ford was on the right-side lane where it shouldn't have been, but then again I'm no crash forensics expert. It could have been that both were driving too much in the middle by the looks of it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Abmong said:

Lets not jump to conclusions, could have easily been the Nord who forgot and drove on the wrong (right) side of the road. Or got distracted by the wife doing something.

Of course you're correct. It's just that in my 10 yrs of driving in Thailand I see the Thais doing this all the time whether it be overtaking or just cutting corners.