Where can I buy a cable modem in Thailand?

OneMoreFarang

I have TRUE internet with a cable modem. It works.

I want to buy another cable modem to try to reconfigure my network without messing around with the original device. I asked TRUE, they don't sell them. I also looked in an accessory shop and online but I didn't find anything.

It must be possible to buy them somewhere.

Any ideas?

Currently TRUE provided me with the Humax HG100RE-02. I need something similar. The important part is the F-Connector (see picture)

I know I can only connect one device at the same time. That is what I want. Replace A with B and be able to use A again.

CableModem.jpg.cfef00ec6d8447251f853ef6af6703ff.jpg

I do not understand what you want to do, but it does not matter ????
The modem is available for purchase almost everywhere...
Here 2 addresses:

Shopee : https://shopee.co.th/เร้าเตอร์-HUMAX-hg100re-02-i.101393774.8115830272

LAZADA: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/humax-hg100re-02v-router-wifi-true-1-i2671440500.html

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Richard 2020 said:

I do not understand what you want to do, but it does not matter ????
The modem is available for purchase almost everywhere...
Here 2 addresses:

Shopee : https://shopee.co.th/เร้าเตอร์-HUMAX-hg100re-02-i.101393774.8115830272

LAZADA: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/humax-hg100re-02v-router-wifi-true-1-i2671440500.html

Thanks!

I hate it when I search i.e. on Lazada for HG100RE-02 or cable modem and nothing comes up...

Maybe you also know: Are there better alternatives i.e. from Cisco or another brand name?

You can buy another device and connect it to one of four network cables.

Internet will be provided by your original router, wifi can be provided by another.

I believe modern router will detect the configuration by itself if you just join devices with a network cable.

21 minutes ago, plus7 said:

You can buy another device and connect it to one of four network cables.

Yes, of course you can add a secondary router. But it's not clear that will address the OP's requirements, which remain unknown at this point.

We can suggest many ideas and options but why, if they don't address the OP's real requirement?

24 minutes ago, plus7 said:

I believe modern router will detect the configuration by itself if you just join devices with a network cable.

It really depends on how you (want to) set up the secondary router. You may need to access the primary (cable modem/router) router.

Using the secondary router as an Access Point (or Switch) is easiest.

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

"B" router won't work with the service.

What is it you're trying to do?

Ok, here is what I want to do:

Background: I am an IT guy and in a couple of offices I setup professional firewalls. The modem (fiber, cable, whatever) is provided by the ISP, that is configured in bridge mode and then the setup to connect to the ISP (i.e. TRUE) is configured in the firewall (i.e. Fortinet).

In my previous apartment I had a setup with a TRUE cable modem in bridge mode and then a good ASUS router which lots of functions.

Currently in my rented apartment TRUE installed a cable model with WiFi. It works but I have limited control. It also seems that I can't backup the configuration of that modem/router. So if I would play around with the settings of that thing and if I do something wrong then maybe my internet wouldn't work at all and I would have to call TRUE to get it running again. And maybe wait for days.

I want to use at home a Fortinet firewall. To be able to connect this to my TRUE connection I need a cable modem. I just ordered the one which @Richard 2020 mentioned above. When I receive this then I will look at my existing TRUE cable modem and write down some settings. And then I will use the same settings in my new cable modem and in my Firewall to connect to the internet.

When everything works fine then I will only use my new setup.

But if something does not work as expected then I can just unscrew my new cable modem and connect the cable modem which TRUE configured. That should make it possible to restore Internet access within minutes.

With the firewall I will be able to control which traffic I allow and what I will block. It will also give me VPN access to my home network. I plan to use home automation with Home Assistant which normally works locally without internet connection. But sometimes it will be necessary to connect some devices to the internet i.e. for updates. With a good firewall I can control exactly which device is allowed to connect to where and when with which kind of traffic. I know it is relative complicated to setup firewalls with lots of details but I am used to that and I am willing to spend the time to set it up the way I want it.

Yeah, I don't think the B router will connect to the ISP.

Why can't you just replicate what you did before, have the ISP put the modem in bridge mode then connect your firewall hardware?

Personally I'd spend more time trying to replace coax internet with fibre, although maybe with the limited throughput of the FortiWifi 30E it doesn't matter?

Good luck.

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Yeah, I don't think the B router will connect to the ISP.

Why can't you just replicate what you did before, have the ISP put the modem in bridge mode then connect your firewall hardware?

Personally I'd spend more time trying to replace coax internet with fibre, although maybe with the limited throughput of the FortiWifi 30E it doesn't matter?

Good luck.

Why do you write: "I don't think the B router will connect to the ISP."

Does TRUE something special which I can't replicate with other devices?

What I did before happened in empty offices before they moved in. So I had time for testing.

I am happy enough with the speed which I have now and I will probably move within a year. What I want to do now is to play around with Home Assistant in combination with the firewall, etc.

When I move to my own apartment then I will have gathered already some first hand knowledge.

Whatever I will learn on the 30E will be most likely transferable to other more powerful firewalls from Fortinet - if I need them.

Anyhow, I will receive that cable modem in the next days and then I will try to set it up. I can report here if it works the way I want.

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Ok, here is what I want to do:

Background: I am an IT guy and in a couple of offices I setup professional firewalls. The modem (fiber, cable, whatever) is provided by the ISP, that is configured in bridge mode and then the setup to connect to the ISP (i.e. TRUE) is configured in the firewall (i.e. Fortinet).

In my previous apartment I had a setup with a TRUE cable modem in bridge mode and then a good ASUS router which lots of functions.

Currently in my rented apartment TRUE installed a cable model with WiFi. It works but I have limited control. It also seems that I can't backup the configuration of that modem/router. So if I would play around with the settings of that thing and if I do something wrong then maybe my internet wouldn't work at all and I would have to call TRUE to get it running again. And maybe wait for days.

I want to use at home a Fortinet firewall. To be able to connect this to my TRUE connection I need a cable modem. I just ordered the one which @Richard 2020 mentioned above. When I receive this then I will look at my existing TRUE cable modem and write down some settings. And then I will use the same settings in my new cable modem and in my Firewall to connect to the internet.

When everything works fine then I will only use my new setup.

But if something does not work as expected then I can just unscrew my new cable modem and connect the cable modem which TRUE configured. That should make it possible to restore Internet access within minutes.

With the firewall I will be able to control which traffic I allow and what I will block. It will also give me VPN access to my home network. I plan to use home automation with Home Assistant which normally works locally without internet connection. But sometimes it will be necessary to connect some devices to the internet i.e. for updates. With a good firewall I can control exactly which device is allowed to connect to where and when with which kind of traffic. I know it is relative complicated to setup firewalls with lots of details but I am used to that and I am willing to spend the time to set it up the way I want it.

Rather than creating individual firewall rules for all your kit, you might want to put all your IoT devices on a separate VLAN and restricted access that way to stop them calling home, but whatever suits you is best.

• Like 1

Unfortunately you can't simply switch a cable modem with another one without the MAC address of the new modem being provisioned by the TRUE network centre. Without them doing that it won't work.

It is quite a few years since I had cable internet from TRUE so my recollection is a little rusty. However what I do recall is that after sourcing a cable modem from overseas (because it wasn't possible to buy one in Thailand) I then learned that TRUE would not under any circumstances provision a modem not supplied by them.

The only solution was to have the modem put into bridge mode. The standard modem that they provided wasn't capable of bridge mode but they were prepared to swap it for a Cisco modem that was. They sent an engineer to do the changeover and he then called the network centre to have the Cisco provisioned. After that it was up to me to connect whatever router I wanted.

I'm pretty sure that after a cable modem is put into bridge mode there are virtually no configurable options since there are no firewall/Nat/ports/TCP-IP etc. to configure. All that is then handled by your own router.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thedemon said:

Unfortunately you can't simply switch a cable modem with another one without the MAC address of the new modem being provisioned by the TRUE network centre. Without them doing that it won't work.

It is quite a few years since I had cable internet from TRUE so my recollection is a little rusty. However what I do recall is that after sourcing a cable modem from overseas (because it wasn't possible to buy one in Thailand) I then learned that TRUE would not under any circumstances provision a modem not supplied by them.

The only solution was to have the modem put into bridge mode. The standard modem that they provided wasn't capable of bridge mode but they were prepared to swap it for a Cisco modem that was. They sent an engineer to do the changeover and he then called the network centre to have the Cisco provisioned. After that it was up to me to connect whatever router I wanted.

I'm pretty sure that after a cable modem is put into bridge mode there are virtually no configurable options since there are no firewall/Nat/ports/TCP-IP etc. to configure. All that is then handled by your own router.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

Now I ordered the cable modem already, < 500 THB including delivery. So if it doesn't work then I don't lose much. I guess I will try if that thing has bridge mode and if I can get it to work. I understand what a MAC address is and I understand that TRUE will maybe use exactly that address. But my limited technical knowledge tells me they don't have to use the MAC address. So let's see.

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

Rather than creating individual firewall rules for all your kit, you might want to put all your IoT devices on a separate VLAN and restricted access that way to stop them calling home, but whatever suits you is best.

I have something like that in mind. But I didn't want to make my description even more complicate. 

The/my problem with firewall configurations is that I work on them very seldom. Like maybe initially I spend a few hours on it and then later a few hours more to optimize it. But once it's working then it's working. So when I have to install another firewall maybe a few years later then there is this: how did I do that again moment...

I guess I have to spend again some time with the manual and/or watch some how to videos.

• Like 1

If you run into a brick wall getting any 3rd party cable modem to play with your Thai ISP... get True to bridge their modem/router.

I'm using AIS - I had them set the cable modem to bridged mode as I do NOT use their mediocre built in wifi router. Use my Asus AC88U for that with Asuswrtmerlin firmware installed and Diversion adblocker running on it.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your input, I appreciate it.

Now I had a second look at my existing cable modem/router.

I found the backup and restore buttons so I will be able to save the current configuration and restore it if necessary. That means I can play around without risk of messing it up. I also found the option to switch it to bridge mode.

What I didn't find (until now) is a username and password. Is there a username and password to access the TRUE network saved in that device? Or is there no username/password because the access is regulated by MAC address?

To be clear: I am not talking about the username/password for the device itself or for the WiFi configuration.

I think on previous devices there was a username like user1234@truehispeed or something like that.

Thanks!