+809 telephone code

poppysdad

Around mid morning received a phone call from a number starting with the above code which not recognising i didn’t answer suspecting a spam or scam call. However curiosity got the better of me and a Google search revealed it as being an East Asia international code but unassigned. I suspect it was one of these robotic marketing calls and have blocked the number anyway but any ideas on who or what. 

• Thanks 1

From scambusters.org

The problem comes from the fact that some phone numbers in the "809" area code are "pay-per-call" numbers (such as 900 numbers in the US) - but there are no legal requirements that callers be informed that they are being charged extra in the Caribbean. When you return one of these "pay-per-call" 809 calls, the scamsters try to keep you on the phone as long as possible, and you may be charged very high rates for the call, reportedly up to $25 per minute.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

Why doesn't my Smartphone know abut +809 numbers and stop me from dialing them?

Or at least gie me a chance to block all those numbers.

Maybe your smartphone is not that smart after all? If you want to preload all "delicate" numbers, your phone would weigh a ton.

A call from an unidentified country code or from a country you certainly dont expect a call is usually a non-expected call; take North Korea, Bhutan or Liechtenstein as an example!

7 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Why doesn't my Smartphone know abut +809 numbers and stop me from dialing them?

Or at least gie me a chance to block all those numbers.

Just download one of the many call blocker apps, and as you receive the calls, don't answer them, BUT blacklist them in the app. Simple really.