Sinet is currently experiencing a city-wide internet outage

bubba

Our Sinet internet went down abruptly a couple of hours ago. Just tried calling their support line and all I get is a recording, saying:

"Now the internet system in Chiang Mai is down. The internet service will be temporarily disrupted. Apologise for the inconvenience"

It's impossible to reach a live officer for any advice. 

Does anyone have any information regarding what's going on? Are they still in business and operational or has someone pulled the plug on them?

59 minutes ago, Mahseer said:

Back up. Paying 850/month for 500/500 but typically see 120/100 so hardly impressive but living in a condo don't get to choose. Unfortunately.

When I lived in a condo we all had our own different suppliers. I chose 3BB. By what mechanism are you prevented from choosing your own supplier?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mahseer said:

Back up. Paying 850/month for 500/500 but typically see 120/100 so hardly impressive but living in a condo don't get to choose. Unfortunately.

I just extended on Sinet, 500/500 costs 6,900B/year incl internet TV of very good quality. So you must be on an old contract.

I checked a few times and I usually get the nominal speed. The low speed could be due to various factors:

-are you connected by optical fiber?

-can your modem handle 500? I got mine replaced for free with the new contract.

-are you using LAN or Wifi? Some Wifi cards cannot handle this kind of speed.

-if Wifi, are you using 5G?

Edited by arithai12

OP, it's true Sinet was down also for me today (few hours) and yesterday (briefly). Surprised that you found a recording, maybe to do with Sunday? I never had a problem reaching them on the phone, usually very responsive. I called them yesterday, they reset something and immediately after it was back. I didn't try today.

7 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

When I lived in a condo we all had our own different suppliers. I chose 3BB. By what mechanism are you prevented from choosing your own supplier?

There's are 2 options here at present but the other is antiquated TOT ADSL. Have enquired with AIS and 3BB for a line but neither interested in providing.

4 hours ago, arithai12 said:

I just extended on Sinet, 500/500 costs 6,900B/year incl internet TV of very good quality. So you must be on an old contract.

I checked a few times and I usually get the nominal speed. The low speed could be due to various factors:

-are you connected by optical fiber?

-can your modem handle 500? I got mine replaced for free with the new contract.

-are you using LAN or Wifi? Some Wifi cards cannot handle this kind of speed.

-if Wifi, are you using 5G?

Optical fibre and LAN. Modem upgraded in the last 9 months as part of the new contract and have had Sinet in and they claim system is working fine. My opinion differs.