help me read a property chanot

In the Us I can look at a plat drawing in the deed and tell what the property's dimensions are. Here on Thailand I am looking at a Chanot but cant make heads or tails of it.

Does anyone know how to read this? Is there a scale where 1 cm =?

image.png.26a8d568578869bf126eafde0ebce2c3.png

14 minutes ago, sirineou said:

are the numbers on the top right corner a scale and if so what is the scale. Sorry by the wife is no help. 

image.png.d78a6d30f0acba39454e02f9bb81b9f3.png

The scale is shown on the upper left portion of this photo. It appears to be either 1:4000 or 1:5000 (your wife should be able to make out that digit after the ":").

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Unless you show the whole document this is useless.

The numbers are the boundary posts. Not dimensions.

I don't know which of the squiggles  are private information so I am a bit apprehensive to post the whole document. My wife says that the numbers on the top of the second picture are a scale but cant help me with what the scale is . in the US it would read something like this , perhaps  1":10" but I don't see anything like that

8 minutes ago, DrDave said:

The scale is shown on the upper left portion of this photo. It appears to be either 1:4000 or 1:5000 (your wife should be able to make out that digit after the ":").

Ok , now we are getting somewhere. 

Thank you ????

Wife says the number is 4000. 

so 1 what to 4000 what. Sorry I am American and thus metrically challenged.  Is it CM ?

Edited by sirineou

5 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Ok , now we are getting somewhere. 

Thank you ????

Wife says the number is 4000. 

so 1 what to 4000 what. Sorry I am American and thus metrically challenged.  Is it CM ?

Yup.  1cm : 4000cm (40m)

• Thanks 1

"มาตราส่วน" is indeed 'map scale', but that which relates to the plan of your property in particular on the map is on the right: 1:500. The left hand "มาตราส่วนในระวาง", at a scale of 1:4000 relates to the land and properties surrounding yours, and is clearly to a different scale.

This may help you understand - you'll need Chrome to translate: https://www.madamhome.in.th/วิธีอ่านโฉนดที่ดิน/ - "How to read a chanote land title".

Edited by SheikYabodyline
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, SheikYabodyline said:

"มาตราส่วน" is indeed 'map scale', but that which relates to the plan of your property in particular on the map is on the right: 1:500. The left hand "มาตราส่วนในระวาง", at a scale of 1:4000 relates to the land and properties surrounding yours, and is clearly to a different scale.

This may help you understand - you'll need Chrome to translate: https://www.madamhome.in.th/วิธีอ่านโฉนดที่ดิน/ - "How to read a chanote land title".

Yes that makes better sense, because I know what the approximate measurements of the plot are and 1:1400 did not make sense, but 1:500 is close to what I thought it was. 

Thank you all, step by step we got there. 

I learned something new today.????

With the 77 different Land-Titles, even Thais have a hard time to navigate. Question Nr 1 must always be: What land-title is it? Depending on title, it can range from "prime land" to basically "worthless land" from a legal point of view. The size of the land is usually accurate if surveyed officially by the land office.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, swissie said:

With the 77 different Land-Titles, even Thais have a hard time to navigate. Question Nr 1 must always be: What land-title is it? Depending on title, it can range from "prime land" to basically "worthless land" from a legal point of view. The size of the land is usually accurate if surveyed officially by the land office.

Having been involved with Thailand for over 14 years I am well aware of the pitfalls of land ownership. ???? but I appreciate the heads up. 

This chanot has the red bird (garuda )  stamp on it which means full ownership I am told

image.png.33387d06719d773d4abdbe9d5e0c5c0d.png

Edited by sirineou

22 hours ago, sirineou said:

Having been involved with Thailand for over 14 years I am well aware of the pitfalls of land ownership. ???? but I appreciate the heads up. 

This chanot has the red bird (garuda )  stamp on it which means full ownership I am told

image.png.33387d06719d773d4abdbe9d5e0c5c0d.png

You will be fine.  As I said, just make sure all four of the chanote pegs are in place and that the 4 digit number on the top of each peg coincides with the numbers on the chanote document.

If you measure between all for pegs you can also do a total area calculation in meters (or feet) and then convert that to talang wha which is what will be recorded on the front of the chanote.

Take care to get a copy of the vendor's id and make sure that the chanote is actually in his or her name.  Often the case here that you are dealing with someone and then find out they are not even the actually owner of the land.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Adumbration said:

You will be fine.  As I said, just make sure all four of the chanote pegs are in place and that the 4 digit number on the top of each peg coincides with the numbers on the chanote document.

If you measure between all for pegs you can also do a total area calculation in meters (or feet) and then convert that to talang wha which is what will be recorded on the front of the chanote.

Take care to get a copy of the vendor's id and make sure that the chanote is actually in his or her name.  Often the case here that you are dealing with someone and then find out they are not even the actually owner of the land.

Usually if you find the first peg, in the accessible front of the property,  to find the rest it is easier if you have already worked out the exact length between them.

You can then locate them by stretching  a long tape measure   for that length and moving it in a small arc in the approximate area. The other peg is somewhere under that arc. 

For me it is a bit easier, because the property is already contained with in a 2m high wall (front is lower) . The fence has being built on top of the marking pegs. 

The reason why I need the dimensions is because the property was divided in half and one half was given to my wife's sister, we kept the other half. Because it is her sister we never build a proper fence between the two or care  as to exactly where the dividing line was, but now we are considering selling our half and if we  decide to do so we need to know where that line is.

With the help of you and the other kind flocks in this Forum I now know exactly where it is . 

Thank you all!! ????

Edited by sirineou

8 hours ago, sirineou said:

Usually if you find the first peg, in the accessible front of the property,  to find the rest it is easier if you have already worked out the exact length between them.

You can then locate them by stretching  a long tape measure   for that length and moving it in a small arc in the approximate area. The other peg is somewhere under that arc. 

For me it is a bit easier, because the property is already contained with in a 2m high wall (front is lower) . The fence has being built on top of the marking pegs. 

The reason why I need the dimensions is because the property was divided in half and one half was given to my wife's sister, we kept the other half. Because it is her sister we never build a proper fence between the two or care  as to exactly where the dividing line was, but now we are considering selling our half and if we  decide to do so we need to know where that line is.

With the help of you and the other kind flocks in this Forum I now know exactly where it is . 

Thank you all!! ????

If the fence is built directly on top of the chanote markers (assuming it is rendered block) then you are already encroaching on the neighbors land.