Ban Laem (pong Nam Ron) Visa Run

Just got back from today's visa run with Jacks and thought it prudent to advise that everyone in the minivan was asked to show ฿20,000 in cash when re-entering LOS. In my case, I thought the Immigration Officer was joking, as he gave me a good natured wink and a broad smile for some earlier banter. When I politely told him it was in fact only ฿10,000 (in my case) and inquired the whereabouts of an ATM?, he said that it was "okay for today" but reaffirmed in his good natured manner that if I planned to use Ban Laem again next month, I would need to show ฿20,000 in cash.

FWIW although I was processed quickly, an American gentleman was questioned for about 5-minutes in not so friendly tones.

Is Lopburi here?

Hi Lopburi!

This is what I was telling you about in another post.

The law may only state 10,000 Baht for individual (according to you, and to the government website you quoted), but the immigration officers are not consistent with their implementation.

It is therefore recommended that individuals bring 20,000 regardless of what the law says.

Cheers!

Mike

Edited by junkofdavid2

This is crazy and complete crap. Another example of rules existing but being interpreted and applied differently at different borders.

The law is 10,000 baht for one person, but 20,000 baht for a family.

I really don't want to carry 20,000 baht in my pocket when I cross into Cambodia. Would a bank statement be enough, or does it have to be cash?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs website http://www.mfa.go.th seems to have the most

complete description of requirements for visitors entering on visa exempt entry.

"Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must possess adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand (i.e., cash 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family)."

Well, they certainly just seem to be trying to discourage people from making a visa trip to the Cambodian border. I'm guessing this applies to everyone, tourist visa, non-immigrant visa (since immigration doesn't seem to understand the rules themselves). Forcing everyone to walk around with a big wad of bills in their pocket isn't exactly hospitable. Here we go again, inconveniencing everyone so they can discourage these elusive armies of farang mafia from staying in the kingdom. It is all just getting to be too much. :o

Edited by cali4995

Knowing that these funny vans traveling the highway with Logos like "Jack Golf's" or "Happy Visa Run" would make a tempting target for me if i was a hiway robber. Usually not much traffic on some of those roads by the border. A stop by an official looking car, a guy in a fake uniform, and 10K a pop from each passenger. Not bad for a day's work.

Not on subject, but would like to say that the Imm. office at Nam Ron is great with professional staff and very good command of the english language, always helpful.

Great job Nam Rom keep up the good work.

care to elaborate?

to the OP and others: I wouldnt advise telling the immi guy he's wrong regarding the amount. better to say something like "would 10K be ok?"

Just got back from today's visa run with Jacks and thought it prudent to advise that everyone in the minivan was asked to show ฿20,000 in cash when re-entering LOS.
I thought Jack Golf was always using the big bus.

Just got back from today's visa run with Jacks and thought it prudent to advise that everyone in the minivan was asked to show ฿20,000 in cash when re-entering LOS.
I thought Jack Golf was always using the big bus.

Not always, depends on how many people are going and if the big bus is actually working.

Knowing that these funny vans traveling the highway with Logos like "Jack Golf's" or "Happy Visa Run" would make a tempting target for me if i was a hiway robber. Usually not much traffic on some of those roads by the border. A stop by an official looking car, a guy in a fake uniform, and 10K a pop from each passenger. Not bad for a day's work.

You're right chingching we were saying exactly what you wrote here. I think anywhere along the quiet stretch of Highway 317; from the Sa Kaeo turn-off to the deathly quiet Rakam turn for Ban Laem, would give ample opportunity and cover for anyone so inclined.

Also thanks Fred for your great tip:

I wouldnt advise telling the immi guy he's wrong regarding the amount. better to say something like "would 10K be ok?"

I might also 'just' happen to have a copy of the official regulations on me (as you do) on my next and last Visa Exemption during my current 183-day cycle. Finally ever aware that:

Entry may be refused to people with long, untidy-looking hair who are dressed in a manner considered by the authorities to be 'hippyish' or offensive!

I'll make sure I'm neatly groomed (as always) and wearing a friendly LOS smile. :o

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs website http://www.mfa.go.th seems to have the most

complete description of requirements for visitors entering on visa exempt entry.

"Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must possess adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand (i.e., cash 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family)."

Well, they certainly just seem to be trying to discourage people from making a visa trip to the Cambodian border. I'm guessing this applies to everyone, tourist visa, non-immigrant visa (since immigration doesn't seem to understand the rules themselves). Forcing everyone to walk around with a big wad of bills in their pocket isn't exactly hospitable. Here we go again, inconveniencing everyone so they can discourage these elusive armies of farang mafia from staying in the kingdom. It is all just getting to be too much. :o

JR Texas: Way, way too much crap for this guy from Texas........and I know crap when I see it! Can you say, Vietnam (Nha Trang, Dalat, Halong Bay), Cambodia (Sihanoukville), among others. I predict a bright future for these places........new frontiers opening up.......we should all just leave (rich and not so rich).

It seems that at the eastern border,yep cambodia,that there is something to reduce the visarunners in some way.

In the eight years that I have walked through the borders here and there,(and I have been at every corner in the past,)never been asked to show money at the border.Maybe the tour agency do ask for this requirement just in case,so there will be no delay in returning to bangkok,something like that for sure.

But also comes to mind that they have many tensions with Cambodians entering the Kigdom illegaly,so I am not sure where the problem is....

I agree. This is becoming beyond a joke. Who walks around anywhere with their holiday budget stuffed in their back pockets.

If I went their with my GF, I'd need to take out 40,000 baht from my ATM account before I left. It's ridiculous.

Maybe someone is planning an armed hold-up of some visa run buses.

Personally, until all the bs gets sorted, I'll stick to flying out to Malaysia for tourist visas.

JR Texas: Way, way too much crap for this guy from Texas........and I know crap when I see it! Can you say, Vietnam (Nha Trang, Dalat, Halong Bay), Cambodia (Sihanoukville), among others. I predict a bright future for these places........new frontiers opening up.......we should all just leave (rich and not so rich).

There's already a large migration of punters from Pattaya to Sihanoukville.

I am applying for an "O" multiple entry visa today in Seoul based on my Thai wife and son, the visa section of the Thai Embassy's (Seoul) website states the following:

"Evidence of adequate finance ( 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family )"

www.thaiembassy.or.kr/eng

The fee is 200,000 won = 6,971.12 THB

You can see where this is all going. Soon, they will be demanding to see 10k or 20k baht cash at all checkpoints, along with onward, confirmed travel documentation. Soon they will be demanding to see cash proof of financial security on your person for tourist visas along with onward, confirmed travel documentation. I'm afraid the era for enjoyable holidaying in Thailand is coming to a end and it's time to research other alternative destinations that don't treat you like a criminal for wanting to holiday in their country and spend your savings in the local economy. In Thailand, if you've stayed longer than 30 days and you're not on a retirement or marriage visa you're already a person of suspicion. It's true the average Thai seems very welcoming but the bureaucracy seems to only penalize foreigners who wish to holiday for any length of time in this country. Who wants to pay through the nose for that? A truly short-sighted set of policies they are. What are the other options?. :o

Edited by cali4995

It's true the average Thai seems very welcoming but the bureaucracy seems to only penalize foreigners who wish to holiday for any time in this country.

For genuine Tourists a double entry Tourist Visa will avoid all this hassle and allow

you to stay in Thailand for almost 6 months.

-- 60 days + 30 day extension.

-- Border Run without hassles

-- 60 days + 30 day extension

Much better than leaving every 30 days.

It's true the average Thai seems very welcoming but the bureaucracy seems to only penalize foreigners who wish to holiday for any time in this country.

For genuine Tourists a double entry Tourist Visa will avoid all this hassle and allow

Indeed,just get a visa,nothing more or less!

You can see where this is all going. Soon, they will be demanding to see 10k or 20k baht cash at all checkpoints, along with onward, confirmed travel documentation. Soon they will be demanding to see cash proof of financial security on your person for tourist visas along with onward, confirmed travel documentation. I'm afraid the era for enjoyable holidaying in Thailand is coming to a end and it's time to research other alternative destinations that don't treat you like a criminal for wanting to holiday in their country and spend your savings in the local economy. In Thailand, if you've stayed longer than 30 days and you're not on a retirement or marriage visa you're already a person of suspicion. It's true the average Thai seems very welcoming but the bureaucracy seems to only penalize foreigners who wish to holiday for any length of time in this country. Who wants to pay through the nose for that? A truly short-sighted set of policies they are. What are the other options?. :o

JR Texas: Just got my last post deleted......will try again............I agree, they people making the rules are taking stupid pills. Other options: Panama, Ecuador, Cambodia, Vietnam all come to mind.

It's really not that simple as a perfunctory get a multiple entry tourist visa. On the Thai consulate in Los Angeles' website it states 'multiple entry not available". This is not an isolated case for embassies / consulates in passport holders home countries. I'm not sure if there are hassle-free border runs anymore, if you read the original post it was stated everyone on the mini-bus was asked to show 20k baht. If you review the brief history of changes over the last several months in the visa system it's hard to predict anything with certainty. A single entry tourist visa at the moment is definitely less aggravation. :o

I'm not sure if there are hassle-free border runs anymore, if you read the original post it was stated everyone on the mini-bus was asked to show 20k baht. If you review the brief history of changes over the last several months in the visa system it's hard to predict anything with certainty. A single entry tourist visa at the moment is definitely less aggravation. :o

Slight correction , everyone on JACK'S MiniVan was asked to show money , other companies handle this issue in a discreet way.

If you monitor JACK's webside they are now reducing trips to Ban Laem to 4 times per week , but plan to go every day to PoiPet.

http://www.jackgolf.com/en/news/98.php

You can still enjoy a hassle free Trip to Ban Laem.

I went to Ban Laem and there were two people without visa's wanting 30 day VOA stamps. They both bought 200 baht onward bus tickets from the tour guide and neither of them were asked to show any money at all when we came back into Thailand. In fact the only problem was for me. They originally stamped my passport for 30 days instead of 90 (non imm O) and just laughed and corrected it when I pointed out their mistake. By the way on another thread I had been talking about a friend who had ended up on 6 months overstay because he had been going to Sri Racha immigration instead of doing visa runs. He came with us yesterday to Ban Laem, just paid his 20,000 baht fine and got a further 90 day stamp without any problems.

Edited by sumrit

You can see where this is all going. Soon, they will be demanding to see 10k or 20k baht cash at all checkpoints, along with onward, confirmed travel documentation. Soon they will be demanding to see cash proof of financial security on your person for tourist visas along with onward, confirmed travel documentation. I'm afraid the era for enjoyable holidaying in Thailand is coming to a end and it's time to research other alternative destinations that don't treat you like a criminal for wanting to holiday in their country and spend your savings in the local economy. In Thailand, if you've stayed longer than 30 days and you're not on a retirement or marriage visa you're already a person of suspicion. ......

.... What are the other options?. :o

Yes the end is nigh! One option might be to stop reading half the wind up merchants on web boards like this. Just go about your own business, don't turn up at an immigration post looking like you are on your last pay check or drunk (I seen more than enough of 'em!) and you will likely be treated civilly as anywhere else :-)

"If" you go to the Cambodian border with a visa-run company that has an "arrangement" with immigration it may be a hassle-free experience. "But" if you go as an independent or with an un-approved company you may have difficulty. Everytime I go, there are farangs having problems. They don't understand the 6 month rule or they don't have onward tickets or now possibly they are not aware they may be asked to show 10k cash. Not everyone is an avid reader of ThaiVisa and able to keep up with all the constantly changing scenarios. It's all unfortunate but true. :o

Edited by cali4995

Went on a trip recently. As the only one with non-o and clean cut and neatly dressed I was through without a hike - all other farangs was more or less yelled at about ther arrival card, multiple visa-runs or whatever they could think of and with some tgey spent many minutes looking through each and every page carefully.

Wai, dress nice and don't look like you just went off a thai-stick buzz and you might increase your chance of not getting yelled at. Have proper a VISA to increase the chance further.

Everytime you go before immigration, you do definitely get the feeling they're doing a quick assessment of your appearance, impressions here are everything.

I don't like to see farangs caught-out by requirements and or their enforcement changing since the last time someone read the rulebook. I've been on visa runs with some of these guys who didn't have a clue what the latest developments were and showed up in flip-flops and their beach gear and you just wonder how they manage to survive.

The I.D.C. at Suan Phlu I'm sure has too many farangs that didn't take the regulations seriously enough and thought they would be given leniency as tourists. Negative. :o

cali ----- it begs the question ..... when does it change from holidaying 'for any time' to living here?

I have never heard of anyone coming from my country being denied a double entry tourist visa ... that is good for 6 months! After 3 months in one place you are pretty much living there!

hmmmmm I am under 50 ... don't work here .... am gay (so not married!) and since October I have gotten TWO non-imm-multiple entry visas! It just isn't that tough to be legal!

edit --- well see TAWP's reply :o

Edited by jdinasia

is good for 60 months!

Give me this VISA! :o

.... am gay and since October I have gotten TWO non-imm-multiple entry visas!

Wasn't aware that they did tests regarding sexuality. An attached bell and photos of young girls? =)