Opening a bank account with SCB or Kasikorn

I've been turned down by 8 different branches trying to open a bank account. Three in Phuket and five in Bangkok (two Kasikorn, two Krung Thai, one Bangkok Bank, two Krungsri, and one SCB). I prefer an SCB account. According to the SCB website, they can open a savings account with just an ID https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/deposits/savings-account/savings-account.html

However, they have asked me for a work permit. Does anyone know an SCB branch in Bangkok that will open an account with just my passport, as per their own website? If not SCB then Kasikorn?

Thanks

At the main office of Bangkok Bank, you can open an account even if you are on a Tourist Visa, if you provide a notarized memo from your Embassy saying your passport is genuine and it is you. I did that at the beginning of Covid, during the Amnesty period.

Bangkok Bank also has the least amount of paperwork, and their online banking system works well.

I subsequently bought a company, changed my visa status to Non-B Investor/Business, got a work permit, and opened accounts at both SCB and Kasikorn. I believe I had to sign at least fifty pages of docs for K-Bank, maybe half that for SCB. Both have workable online platforms.

If you wire money from outside Thailand, Bangkok Bank seems to give the best exchange rate, as good as a major FX Broker, especially if the amount is low by Broker standards (e.g., under $25K). For large amounts (e.g., over $100K), the rates converge.

51 minutes ago, BudRight said:

However, they have asked me for a work permit. Does anyone know an SCB branch in Bangkok that will open an account with just my passport, as per their own website? If not SCB then Kasikorn?

It is normal that Thai banks want more than just a passport for a new customer.  I was usually also asked for my work permit.  Bangkok bank would open a new account for me with just my original NonImm "O" visa and a residence certificate.  Kasikorn would only open account for me after I had my 1 year extension stamp based on retirement.  SCB initially also wanted a work permit.  After calling their head office support line, they gave me an account based on my retirement extension as well.

I also always had a residence certificate from Immigration with me when trying to open a new account.

I suggest you keep trying at Bangkok bank branches, especially if you don't have long term permission to stay in Thailand.

NOTE:  all these attempts were in CM branches.

IMO SCB are one of the worst banks. They never really tried to be a retail bank. I stopped using my SCB account because they kept putting spending restrictions on my account (difflen lule farang kaa) and as large amounts of money were flowing through it the account became unmanageable. No such problems with my KrungSri account (an MUFG bank, not hard to figure). . . but if you must use SCB, no branch is likely to open an account for you without Tabien Baan or WP.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

I have accounts at both SCB and Kasikorn. In my opinion there's nothing to choose between them as corporate entities, but what you may find is more sympathetic treatment at the branch level. 

As others have stated, if you are repeatedly refused you just have to persevere until one will accept you. If they don't want you they will quote rules which may or may not exist just to get you to go away.

I opened an SCB account a few months ago with Passport and CoR. This was in Phuket. I was an existing SCB customer though, but im not sure if that made any difference. The paperwork i had to sign was immense.

When you try to do anything official in Thailand, you will often be hit with the "work permit stone-wall". This can be frustrating if you don't have one, but i found that a certificate of residence from immigration often does the same job.

If you are stuck, try one of the visa-agents. They can normally sort this out for a fee.

• Like 1

Email Bangkok Bank head office, tell them you want to open an account for retirement visa, ask them the best branch to use where you live, and ask if insurance HAS to be brought, as you have already as part of Covid regulations, they will of course reply and say no insurance needed and tell you the branch to use.

Print off the email, get a Residence Certificate to prove address, if possible go with someone that already has an account. Be firm but calm.

This would work with all banks I think, I used for Bangkok BanK as needed for a visa and it cost me B300 for the cheapest card, more if you want cashless, but i already have that with another bank

Let us know if this works for you please

• Like 1

You will have a hard time to open an account with just a passport.

At least a proof of residence is required.

Some years ago they even asked for my "home country" address which I don't have. Wrote down my last stay from 2011 and fortunately they didn't ask for any proof (Bangkok Bank).

Are you a US citizen? I am quite sure banks dislike the extra reporting/paperwork put upon by US regulations.

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 2/8/2022 at 1:47 PM, Seppius said:

Email Bangkok Bank head office, tell them you want to open an account for retirement visa, ask them the best branch to use where you live, and ask if insurance HAS to be brought, as you have already as part of Covid regulations, they will of course reply and say no insurance needed and tell you the branch to use.

Print off the email, get a Residence Certificate to prove address, if possible go with someone that already has an account. Be firm but calm.

This would work with all banks I think, I used for Bangkok BanK as needed for a visa and it cost me B300 for the cheapest card, more if you want cashless, but i already have that with another bank

Let us know if this works for you please

I do not have a retirement visa and I cannot get one since I am not old enough.

On 2/10/2022 at 7:08 AM, BudRight said:

I do not have a retirement visa and I cannot get one since I am not old enough.

Open an account with only 500 baht. There is no limit on the number or amount of deposits, withdrawals and bill payments you can make.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

2. Foreigner without work permit

Passport

A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document

Embassy located  in Thailand 

An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 

Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank

Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.

Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).

So you could go the overseas route, or if you know someone that already has an account, that's what I did.

The thing is the branches want you to buy insurance for their kick back, that's why i mentioned be firm, banks need customers thats there business, insist head office told you that you could open there and show them the email, have you emailed them yet?

If you have an overseas account, almost certainly would have swift, so could go that route

I opened my SCB account with a 'sponsor letter' of another customer years ago. In my experience, it is quite hard. Bangkok Bank, Kasikornbank, and Krungsri Bank are easier, that is major branches in 'tourist areas'.

If you know the UK banking system, opening a bank account as a 'regular Joe', is as 'easy' as...

Bangkok Bank = opening with NatWest

K-Bank = Barclays

SCB = Lloyds (Good luck opening an account with either, if you're not 'loaded' or 'connected'!)

Edited by StayinThailand2much

On 2/7/2022 at 10:10 PM, BudRight said:

According to the SCB website, they can open a savings account with just an ID https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/deposits/savings-account/savings-account.html

However, they have asked me for a work permit. Does anyone know an SCB branch in Bangkok that will open an account with just my passport, as per their own website?

On the website that you provided it says that a foreigner needs passport and work permit. "ID card (A foreigner using a passport and work permit),"

On 2/7/2022 at 10:10 PM, BudRight said:

I've been turned down by 8 different branches trying to open a bank account. Three in Phuket and five in Bangkok (two Kasikorn, two Krung Thai, one Bangkok Bank, two Krungsri, and one SCB). I prefer an SCB account. According to the SCB website, they can open a savings account with just an ID https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/deposits/savings-account/savings-account.html

This page clearly says:

ID card (A foreigner using a passport and work permit), or a government official card, or a State Enterprise Employee Card