Mild, asymptomatic COVID-19 cases not entitled to claim under new insurance rules

webfact

4 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

The OIC has the authority to compel insurers to disregard exclusions in their policies. This is what happened in this instance. The OIC required insurers to pay claims for medically-unnecessary hospitalization even though the policies clearly did not cover these costs. The OIC is now simply reversing this edict and insurers are now able to exclude these expenses as was originally the case.

So, do you know, are there any currently available Thai insurance policies that actually DO/WOULD cover tourists' expenses should they end up testing positive for COVID on arrival, and then end up quarantined without symptoms in a "hospitel" or even without symptoms in a regular hospital, which has apparently still been occurring in some cases?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So, do you know, are there any currently available Thai insurance policies that actually DO/WOULD cover tourists' expenses should they end up testing positive for COVID on arrival, and then end up quarantined without symptoms in a "hospitel" or even without symptoms in a regular hospital, which has apparently still been occurring in some cases?

I think in an earlier thread someone said AXA did.

On 2/8/2022 at 1:49 PM, bobbin said:

A bone thrown to the struggling Thai Insurance companies?

If I'm in a hospital through no choice of my own, I expect the insurance I paid for to "cough" up the agreed compensation...

Any compensation would be dependent on the wording of the policy you decided to buy.

On mine there was an allowance for quarantine in the event of contracting the covid virus.

On 2/8/2022 at 2:45 PM, feasantplukka said:

If you are positive that's should be cause enough, it's like saying car insurance doesn't cover you for a minor bump only a write off????

Take you don't believe people buy reduced cover, such as 3rd party, fire & theft.

2 hours ago, connda said:

Does anyone have a link to the number of arrivals in Phuket between Nov 1 2021 and Feb 1 2022.  I'd love to divide the 4,369 forced into hospitalization by the total number of arrival to find the statistical chance of being forcible incarcerated into a Thai hospital or expensive quarantine facility.
I bet the chances are pretty darn high.  Based on that number of positives between Nov 1 and Feb 1 and a back-of-a-napkin calculation, almost 48 arrivals a day are forced into hospitalization!!!  (4369 positives in 92 days).
With Omnicron, how many do you think will be actually sick enough to file a claim with their insurance which will now be denied? 
That's just scary! 

1-7.02 there were 1% on the first test and 3.82% on the second. 
that is falling. 
In january there was some 10% on both tests

6 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

The OIC has the authority to compel insurers to disregard exclusions in their policies. This is what happened in this instance. The OIC required insurers to pay claims for medically-unnecessary hospitalization even though the policies clearly did not cover these costs. The OIC is now simply reversing this edict and insurers are now able to exclude these expenses as was originally the case.

thanks.. that’s kind of what i was thinking — the law, the regulators actions essentially supersede that of existing policy wording… and that makes sense 

Edited by new2here
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Just another reason why I cannot in good faith suggest anyone to visit Thailand until these potential "money grabs" are removed.  Until Thailand returns to pre-Covid entry and exit requirements one should avoid Thailand.  

I think travel insurance requirement is permanent. How many years was it mooted? When the pandemic abates significantly testing may be scrapped for most but I think there will be some form of Thai Pass/pre-registration, forever.

There is no return to pre-Covid entry requirements for Asian nations. 

• Sad 2

18 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Insurers aren't hanging around. I already have an email from Pacific Cross with the new rules attached. AXA will certainly follow suit.

As for foreign-issued travel policies, they are unlikely ever to have covered this anyway.

Can I put a positive spin on this? Could this be a sign that the Government are looking to change the riduculous hospitiltalisation/hospitelisation rules?

I like your thought about the government changing the rules regarding the hospitalisation/hospitelisation and I sincerely hope it happens. But as it is such a money spinner for them it will be hard for them to see common sense ahead of the almighty greed that they always exhibit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I can't vouch for this website or confirm the level of cover for asymptomatic expenses or if they have been curtailed by the OIC's recent announcement, but it does seem to provide options that include such cover. 

https://asq.in.th/thailand-covid-insurance

You might want to consider asking a broker that is active in this market segment.

17 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

So, is this a case of the insurance mafia weaseling out of a commitment? Or an administration totally lacking any morality and ethics, defending huge corporations, at the expense of the general public and tourists? 

Either way it stinks. Do they not think word will get around? Anyone seen any arrival numbers lately? There is a stunning silence in regard to that. 1,500 a day? Maybe? 

Where are the Journalists?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, if you arrive  and test positive and they cart you off to a hospital when you are asymptomatic, on arrival at the hospital demand a letter from a doctor stating you are in hospital for necessary medical treatment. If they refuse, walk out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

So, is this a case of the insurance mafia weaseling out of a commitment? Or an administration totally lacking any morality and ethics, defending huge corporations, at the expense of the general public and tourists? 

Either way it stinks. Do they not think word will get around? Anyone seen any arrival numbers lately? There is a stunning silence in regard to that. 1,500 a day? Maybe? 

I DO think “word” will get out…. but… I also think that the word - whatever it is, won’t really go very far, nor have a measurable, long-term negative impact.  Wish it wasn’t this way - but given how news is now a ultra-short cycle process and there’s so many channels… all stories, unless MAJOR, just don’t tend to last long nor go very far in terms of distribution scope nor remaining on the first page so to speak. 

While my opinion is that this is a bad move on the RTGs part, I have to also acknowledge that, if you go and look back, Thailand has hit many “bad moves” and if you then look at the arrival numbers that followed, the country does seem to have some kind of a “teflon” surface as they’ve never really had a material, long-term hit to their numbers after making a miss-step move politically. 

I myself think that at SOME point if TH becomes the sole outlier that still requires a mandatory insurance for entry- THEN i could see them falling into line with other countries in the region… but right now, we’re still in the very first phase of any true reopening… so think for the near term, there’s no external force that really has the power to effectively “force” THs hand to drop the insurance mandate…. but again, I do think in time, so long as other countries also drop any insurance mandate- TH will have to do so as well. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ginner said:

Agree. tourist with a positive test, but no symptoms, on arrival are taken to the hospital, no choice. and they are expected to pay for the stay weather treated or not and their insurance wont cover it.

Another very good reason to run a line through Thailand as a holiday destination at present,as you don't know what unexpected bills your going to have to foot once you get there,also,with contract schemes' in place between hotels and hospitals,and people are  being tested positive,after arriving in Thailand,that tested negative prior to departure from their country of origin,it will make travellers very wary if their going to get dodgy test results on arrival.

I think it will be at least another 9 months and elimination of all these requirements/restrictions before Thailand has any meaningful surge in Tourist Arrivals.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kennw said:

Not a helpful statement. 

If you disagree with me, then by all means, go and buy a health policy with a Thai company, up to you.

Personally I think my statement is not only helpful, but 99.9% on this forum would agree with me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

If you disagree with me, then by all means, go and buy a health policy with a Thai company, up to you.

Personally I think my statement is not only helpful, but 99.9% on this forum would agree with me.

I did buy Thai insurance because I had no choice, living here. I agree with the thrust of your statement but did'nt see any of your suggestions as alternatives. That is why I said not helpful

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bbOh said:

That's what most (all?) Thai insurance companies state that are 'recommendedly forced on you'. (STV, O-A, etc.)

I have clicked my way through all the insurances on that longstay page. 

https://longstay.tgia.org/companiesstv

And here is the result:

aetna: to get a quote> can't put in my phone number because it allows only Thai numbers and all the regions are in Thailand
Muang Thai Insurance> 30 day waiting period --> not covered
Falcon insurance> will not pay for the first 30 days --> not covered
Dhipaya> page error
Axa>not covered for the first 30 days
Thai Setakij> not covered for the first 30 days
Bangkok Insurance> not covered for the first 30 days
Sompo> page is missing
Navakij> O-A visa
Viriyah> accident & health insurance, no Covid-plan
Pacific Cross> O-X and O-A, for people over 50
LMG> O-A visa
Thai Health Insurance> O-A visa
Southeast Company> page not found

I had the same experience, and try adding in an over 65 age factor, 

6 hours ago, madmitch said:

Insurers aren't hanging around. I already have an email from Pacific Cross with the new rules attached. AXA will certainly follow suit.

As for foreign-issued travel policies, they are unlikely ever to have covered this anyway.

Can I put a positive spin on this? Could this be a sign that the Government are looking to change the riduculous hospitiltalisation/hospitelisation rules?

Or double down?  They now have a captured audience (pun intended).

Edited by connda
  • Like 1