Mild, asymptomatic COVID-19 cases not entitled to claim under new insurance rules

webfact

I haven't seen anything about stating asymptomatic in the policies but surely the 30 day no pay / which says it all.

I've been thinking about contacting the German embassy in BKK as the representative of me and my country. How can I be forced to sign up for a deal that leaves me uninsured...?

Yeah, maybe wishful thinking, However, I will let them know what I think about this and *just maybe* we all should do so. 

After all, what's the use of complaining here....and not speak up where it needs to be heard?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

This is an interesting development, because....

I've always been told by my insurance broker here in TH that any change an insurer might want to make in the terms of their coverage can only take effect at a person's next policy renewal -- not somewhere mid-term during a prior policy issued under different terms.

If that's true, how's that going to work in this instance?

Of course, this is TH, where the government and companies break or ignore rules all the time with impunity.

That’s what I was wondering as well.

My best guess - and it’s only a guess - is that any change in national law will effectively supersede any policy language which, on a past-change basis, now runs contrary to the newly set laws..

To me, it’s a bit like it was a while back when the rules governing how utilities like electricity and water where charged by selected rental entities (ie landlords)… people who may have had a current contract (lease rental) that stated it would be charged under the “old” formula, got changed mid-contract/lease, to be compliant with the newly enacted formula.  my gut is that it’s going to be like that as essentially national law will supersede any private contractual language.  

11 hours ago, daveAustin said:

If that is the case, then these Thai hospitals that obligatory take in covid positive people should NOT be treating asymptomatic cases or SHOULD make said treatment free, or Thai gov SHOULD pick up the bill. STOP behaving like a banana republic!!

Would you honestly expect them to behave like anything else, especially give the present government?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Good advice. 

The Thai company I insured with never sent my documents through and then went bust about 3 months after I took cover out with them. I won't mention the expat forum I found this insurance company on but it used to rhyme with Vie Teaser????

You mean Lie Geezer? I know that one.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Bigz said:

Can anyone explain what is a 'found, paid,done' insurance? According to the article people with that kind of insurance covered as normal.

These are the personal accident policies that paid a lump-sum cash benefit, usually 100,000 baht, upon testing positive for Covid-19. These policies are no longer being sold, but some of them will remain in force until expiry in the middle of this year. The OIC is not allowing insurers to cancel these policies mid-term and is requiring that all valid claims be honored. These are not medical insurance policies, although they may provide some limited medical expense benefits.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Good advice. 

The Thai company I insured with never sent my documents through and then went bust about 3 months after I took cover out with them. I won't mention the expat forum I found this insurance company on but it used to rhyme with Vie Teaser????

Vie Teaser change its name.  Now it rhymes with Peon Bow.   

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

Thailand’s Office of the Insurance Commission (OIC) issued rules limiting compensation claims by people infected with COVID-19. 

So, we're now at the "wannabe Covid" level; I assume that the same office then refunds the respective portion of the insurance premium. 

For how stupid does this government and its idiotic bureaucracy clowns take the taxpayer and voter? 

Insurers were forced to cover expenses for medically-unnecessary expenses by the OIC in spite of the fact that their policies never included cover for these expenses.

The premiums collected for these policies were not formulated based upon the expectation that they would be forced to pay for these expenses, so insurers are not pocketing insurance premium for a risk that they are now not required to cover.

Those with symptomatic Covid-19 that actually requires medical treatment will continue to have their claims paid subject to their policies' terms and conditions.

I used Southeast Insurance Company to insure our two cars, paid in full.  Now I see they have filed for insolvency based on the covid claims they [didn't?] pay.  So I haven't had a claim denied by them, but am apparently out the thousands I paid in premium.  I wonder how much the tycoons that own the company got off with?  Why is it that I have the feeling that they are trying to get out with their pockets filled with cash without paying the claims they already owe?  Could it be because this is Thailand where the rich make a job of skinning the poor?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

These are the personal accident policies that paid a lump-sum cash benefit, usually 100,000 baht, upon testing positive for Covid-19. These policies are no longer being sold, but some of them will remain in force until expiry in the middle of this year. The OIC is not allowing insurers to cancel these policies mid-term and is requiring that all valid claims be honored. These are not medical insurance policies, although they may provide some limited medical expense benefits.

Thanks for the explanation

• Like 1

2 hours ago, new2here said:

That’s what I was wondering as well.

My best guess - and it’s only a guess - is that any change in national law will effectively supersede any policy language which, on a past-change basis, now runs contrary to the newly set laws..

To me, it’s a bit like it was a while back when the rules governing how utilities like electricity and water where charged by selected rental entities (ie landlords)… people who may have had a current contract (lease rental) that stated it would be charged under the “old” formula, got changed mid-contract/lease, to be compliant with the newly enacted formula.  my gut is that it’s going to be like that as essentially national law will supersede any private contractual language.  

The OIC has the authority to compel insurers to disregard exclusions in their policies. This is what happened in this instance. The OIC required insurers to pay claims for medically-unnecessary hospitalization even though the policies clearly did not cover these costs. The OIC is now simply reversing this edict and insurers are now able to exclude these expenses as was originally the case.

13 hours ago, daveAustin said:

If that is the case, then these Thai hospitals that obligatory take in covid positive people should NOT be treating asymptomatic cases or SHOULD make said treatment free, or Thai gov SHOULD pick up the bill. STOP behaving like a banana republic!!

With the list of "possible symptoms" appearing to grow nearly every day, I'm sure they can find one that will allow them to call you symptomatic, thereby lessening the chance of them not getting paid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

One of the hardest lessons I had to learn after moving to Thailand is to lower my expectations, about everything.

Agreed. You effectively need to "dumb-down" to control levels of frustration !

• Like 2

I never buy a Thai health insurance policy - only AETNA International. The insurance companies here are not as sophisticated or offer the same benefits as the more mature overseas service providers. In many cases amongst Thai friends I see claims not covered because of links to some old pre-existing condition - no defined period of a moratorium - just calls to renew the policy and pay the premium. Another contentious area is hospital fees charged if you have insurance vs not have. Cash payments seem to offer a discount vs an insured procedure. Bit of a vegetable market really.  

Kindly clarify/reconcile the title to the article,

"Mild, asymptomatic COVID-19 cases not entitled to claim under new insurance rules"

with the line in the first paragraph,

"Patients who are symptomatic or who have mild symptoms being treated in hospital or in home isolation .....will not be covered by the medical care or compensation scheme."

I presume that the article should read, in both cases, as the title, asymptomatic, that is no symptoms evident whatsoever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@dj230 I've copied this over from the previous thread which is now locked. You wrote:

'I was completely covered, if you buy dodgy travel insurance just to qualify to enter Thailand, you get dodgy coverage as well. 

With insurance, most of the time you get what you pay for'. 

Ok I understand that. I bought my Covid specific policy right here in Thailand from a well known broker whose name appears regularly in expat forums, which sounds like much the same as you.

But you say you were covered then. (past tense) But this article seems to throwing into doubt whether they still provide cover.

That is what's confusing me. It's a very muddled scenario.

35 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

@dj230 I've copied this over from the previous thread which is now locked. You wrote:

'I was completely covered, if you buy dodgy travel insurance just to qualify to enter Thailand, you get dodgy coverage as well. 

With insurance, most of the time you get what you pay for'. 

Ok I understand that. I bought my Covid specific policy right here in Thailand from a well known broker whose name appears regularly in expat forums, which sounds like much the same as you.

But you say you were covered then. (past tense) But this article seems to throwing into doubt whether they still provide cover.

That is what's confusing me. It's a very muddled scenario.

I bought mine from a Canadian insurance company from where I travelled from. When you buy travel insurance they send you a policy with all the details on what is covered and what isn’t covered. 
In Canada the insurance company can’t just change your policy randomly during coverage. 
That’s one reason I didn’t buy insurance from Thailand as I’m not familiar with the laws and risks associated with insurance from Thai companies. 

Edited by dj230
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Does anyone know an insurance company that a "tourist " can use to stay for 60 days or less that is cheaper or much better than let's say AXA which is about 3,100 baht per month for short term 50k covid insurance?  If Thai companies don't cover this do others?  Can ANYONE from most countries be accepted as well?  If not I guess most will just buy the Thai covid insurance that never really paid for asymptotic positive test result on day 1 or day 5 after arrival.  I have to buy insurance by tomorrow or next day to apply for Thailand Pass. I'm sure others have to soon as well. As a side note. I need to come to Thailand. Florida, Greece , Spain and Philippines as well as Mexico and others are NOT options????

I took Luma Lite. It is also around 3000 per month.

Edited by JackGats