Holiday clashing with non-O annual renewal date

Hi,

Just booked a trip to the UK - it's to attend a family event, so really can't change the dates.

My current 1-year non-O marriage extension is due to expire a few days after I'm due to leave Thailand.

If I go to immigration a few days before leaving (within 30 days of expiration), I believe they'll give me an "under consideration" stamp, with a return date of four weeks later, which should be after I'm due to return.

Can I leave and re-enter on this stamp?

Or is it better to apply for a 60-day marriage extension before leaving instead?

Would either option require a new re-entry permit? Does my wife still need to attend the initial application in either case?

Are there any other options I haven't thought of, besides just letting it expire and starting afresh with a new visa application in the UK?

In both cases, you must get a re-entry permit after the new stamp in your passport. If eligible for the 60-day extension, maybe that would be better, just in case of your return being delayed for any reason. However, I would discuss the options with the immigration office. Maybe, they can make arrangements to get you the one-year extension before you leave if you apply for the one-year extension as early as possible and explain the situation.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

In both cases, you must get a re-entry permit after the new stamp in your passport. If eligible for the 60-day extension, maybe that would be better, just in case of your return being delayed for any reason. However, I would discuss the options with the immigration office. Maybe, they can make arrangements to get you the one-year extension before you leave if you apply for the one-year extension as early as possible and explain the situation.

I was under the impression that I can only apply within 30 days of expiration - do you think it's worth going in earlier?

I know my wife needs to attend for a one-year extension application. If I can get the 60 day extension without her needing to take a day off work, that would tip the scales in favour of that option...

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, how long is your trip.

Obtain a 60 day extension to visit wife. 

Also buy a reentry permit after you obtain the reentry permit.

Obtain your annual extension after you return. 

Just over two weeks, but I fly three days before my current extension is due to expire. Back two weeks after it expires.

Once,  several years ago, I was in you position, needing to travel for work in UK.  I/O told me to write a request to I/O asking fro an early extension to fro my visa, and gave me a sheet of paper tow rite request, then did the extension there and then.

Maybe a helpful I/O (it as at BKK Soi Suan P;u), but could be worth trying.

• Thanks 1

Not sure whether all the immigration offices are doing the same across the board, but my "under consideration stamp" is now pushed to 8 weeks rather than the usual 4 (Phuket). If yours is due to expire just after you leave, then just go and do the renewal a week before as normal, then you get a single re-entry permit valid up til the "under consideration" report date. You only get one 60day extension, so advisable to keep that in your pocket for a real emergency, also consider that pushing your renewal dates further out by 60days brings you into the horrible holiday periods for annual renewals where everything slows down...

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, thatmanagain said:

Just over two weeks, but I fly three days before my current extension is due to expire. Back two weeks after it expires.

No problem. 

As I mentioned earlier. 

Obtain 60 day extension to visit wife. When that is granted obtain a reentry permit.

That permit will expire same date as your 60 day extension.

You will return in time to obtain your 12 month extension

Edited by DrJack54

• 3 months later...

Thanks for all the responses.

Went to immigration at CW this morning, as I leave for the UK next week - and decided on just doing the regular 1-year application rather than doing a 60-day first.

Everything went fine until they gave me the "under consideration" stamp with a return date of June 2nd, which is 3 weeks today - a couple of days before I'm due to arrive back in Thailand.

I explained that I'll be outside the country then, and they told me they need a printout of my air ticket. Fortunately I had that on my phone, and was able to print off a copy downstairs. I then had to write down the purpose of my visit and the dates on the printout.

My "under consideration" stamp was then amended with a new return date of June 20th.

Only downside was that took so long, I had no time left to apply for a re-entry permit (well, I was at the queue counter just before 3.30pm, but they'd already closed).

I *had* a multiple re-entry permit on my annual extension, but I believe I need a fresh one for my new "under consideration" extension. I'll now need to do that at the airport before I fly, unless anyone thinks it's a better idea to return to CW.

Edited by thatmanagain
clarity