Will Western tourists ever go off visiting Thailand?

webfact

3 minutes ago, Jimjim1 said:

Is one allowed to do that after a positive test?

Do you have proof of that statement?

I have not read any posts in here stating that positive testers were allowed to stay in the hotel.

Maybe that is because hotels are NOT equipped to care for them, nor would ordinary staff want too.

Thai people are scared stiff of contracting Covid due to the fear factor generated politically so do you really think that your submission is the norm?

Methinks that perhaps you are dreaming or cajoling people into a false sense of security in a situation of intense insecurity due to a ridiculous set of rules and regulations for entry

But one will stand corrected IF you can prove it.

I have one friend who where allowed to stay in his appartment. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

When there's zero restrictions things will return to normal.

Until that day comes then it's not happening. I think it will happen sooner than most people think - as in this year.

... so many people are waiting for this moment with less restriction. There is the rumour about a meeting this day and an announcement next week. I asume as they don't show any numbers of the arrivals with Test&Go, they realize slowly that this strategy was not a success

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

That's because you couldn't afford to buy or rent a property.

Not the UK's fault you haven't got a pot to p*ss in.

He’s right though. As a Brit I’d rather live in Spain than the UK right now. It’s also not his fault if he can’t afford a place in the UK. I’m on an average salary and needed my parents help - not everyone is so fortunate. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thisisrascal said:

He’s right though. As a Brit I’d rather live in Spain than the UK right now. It’s also not his fault if he can’t afford a place in the UK. I’m on an average salary and needed my parents help - not everyone is so fortunate. 

And things look set to get much worse - the scandalous increases in Gas and Electricity bills is IMHO only the start - all the money paid out to those on "furlough" has to be found from somewhere!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thisisrascal said:

And not everybody burned their bridges and sold property in the UK on a whim to go live in Thailand.

Don't blame the UK for your own decisions.

One poster was complaining is UK state pension had been frozen for 15 years when moving to Thailand.

Well guess what? Your UK state pension is frozen if you become an expat in Thailand.

The financial illiteracy on this forum is staggering at times.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, sambum said:

In "his" apartment" or his "hotel" apartment?

Appartment provided by his company for his work here in Thailand.

Also one at the resort we lived at, who had a nurse coming every day checking on him. Not official covid approvement om this resort

Edited by Hummin

4 hours ago, tigerfeet said:

What about the expats that have been hear years that cannot get insurance because of medical and age reasons should they pack up go home leave the thousands of families that depend on their pension .? Just a thought as I am in that category

I meant for tourists sorry, not long stayers.

I am in the same situation as you - time will tell how they manage it. My gut feeling is that there will be a fudge, Thai style.

4 hours ago, Prometheus33 said:

There were criticisms in the past and shall continue from a few "unhappy" travelers  /tourists/expats . But , let us face it, none of the other destinations , Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Singapore (?!), Philippines, Dubai (?!) etc. etc. Well, none match what Thailand has to offer. What more, there is NO mass exodus of Westerners from Thailand ( a wishful think-aloud of the disgruntled few !!)

Yes, Thailand needs to streamline, make-easy a few stringent rules it has put in place because of the pandemic. And this is likely to happen sooner than expected (hopefully) .

So, enjoy , live , be happy   .. life is  beautiful , let us make the journey a merry tale  for ourselves, for those with us and for posterity to smile  ... 

It was heck of a ride !!

So true.  Too many complain, too few leave.

4 hours ago, sambum said:

And Insurance Companies make it less fair!

Your point about "years up front" is a fair point, but if you insure a car if you do not amke a claim, your premium is reduced by way of a "no claims bonus". Not so with health insurance. Your premium goes up every year whether you make a claim or not, until it becomes impossibly high to pay for some. And what is the point of paying upwards of 100,000 baht A YEAR for Insurance that doesn't cover you for pre existing conditions?

How many people do you know past the age of 65 that DOESN'T have hypertension to some degree, or high cholesterol. The fact that these conditions affect so many people shows that their medication is very successful (Usually one tablet a day - almost like taking a daily vitamin tablet, or a contraceptive pill - becomes a habit!) but the Insurance companies just find it an excuse to up their profits even further by charging extra to have these conditions covered.

Plus of course, there are quite a few people who are just classed as uninsurable because they are TOO old - I fall into that category, but am fortunate enough to have enough money to "self insure".  

As you say, life is not fair for some, but that doesn't mean that insurance companies should be able to inflate their profits by taking advantage of their customers!

I understand every point you say! I can't change how things is, but I'm 53, and signing up for health insurance now, and always had travel insurance privious. Never made one claim in my life. 

As said life is not fair, but still we have to go by the rules.

Guest Isaanlife
13 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Unemployment is low in a lot of places and covid meant many saved up money and can't wait for a holiday. Myself included. 

Thailand is an attractive place to have a holiday by the beach and relax. The hotel prices  would be triple in Australia and still not as fun or as good. 

The beaches are far from perfect but some are nice and the food, massages, weather and nightlife  and general different culture make it fun for many. People can think it's all about sex, by hanging around this site, but it's not. 

Don't forget to add in an additional 50,000 baht for your Covid hotel because you will test positive on entry. Tourist tax!

2 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Could I read some envy that I live in Spain? And envy that I don't need a visa once and then?????

When you own a couple of properties outright in the UK, you can live pretty much anywhere you want.

The rent alone would support that, let alone the capital value increases.

The secret is not selling the asset and giving yourself a world of choices.

Spain, Thailand, wherever.

I like options.

• Like 1

10,000 THB a day or a Thai Hospital ? tat is cheap ??? .... It is more then that and for CV 19 More still ? Isn't it ???

... I just did 2.5 days in Rajtaniee in Ayutthaya for an unrelated medical problem (An Infected Toe right .... Only it went up my Leg right !!!) ..... and I think it was about 15,000 a day for a quite standard room ??? ... Good care though. ... Well 36,000 B for 2.5 days ??? including extras ? suck as IV drips, ...  ... Maybe they were quoting 15,000 with them in mind also ? ... So now an experiment, with the forced Insurance coverage ????? ... ????

• Like 1

Guest Isaanlife
7 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Westerners are certainly flocking back to Phuket...my guesthouse in Chalong, where I was literally the only tenant for the past 7-8 months (25 rooms) is now about half full; and the restos and muay Thai training gyms are filling up again.

Flocking back?

How ridiculous. You probably didn't read only 23,000 tourists arrived last month for the whole country.

Guest Isaanlife
6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

"(maybe keep the insurance requirement as that is not that unreasonable) and the millions will return.".

Why keep it? Don't you know that there is 300Bt getting included in everyone's plane fare into Thailand shortly? That is supposed to help cover insurance, so they say. I repeat, so they say.

It will cover someone's pocket only.

There has never ever been a financial scheme that benefitted tourists and this won't either.

Guest Isaanlife
6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

"(maybe keep the insurance requirement as that is not that unreasonable) and the millions will return.".

Why keep it? Don't you know that there is 300Bt getting included in everyone's plane fare into Thailand shortly? That is supposed to help cover insurance, so they say. I repeat, so they say.

It will cover someone's pocket only.

There has never ever been a financial scheme that benefitted tourists and this won't either.

Guest Isaanlife
6 hours ago, overherebc said:

'They' not me, will tell you that's why you should have  800,000 in the bank or 65,000 income a month.

PS i'm not saying good or bad, I'm just saying that is very likely the answer you will get from 'them'.

When you are 80 years old, one major medical procedure could wipe out your 800,000 baht overnight.