Cabinet To Review Bill That Allows More Freedom For Small Liquor Producers

snoop1130

9e7b845c54e7faec2f7245e456bf469b_small.PNG

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Cabinet will consider a bill that will give small-scale liquor manufacturers more freedom to compete in the market.

Members of the Parliament voted 207 to 196, with two abstentions and three no votes, on Wednesday to refer the bill amending the Excise Tax Act to the cabinet for consideration. The amendment was proposed by Move Forward Party MP Thaopipob Limjirakorn to open the market for small-scale distillers and local manufacturers.

After receiving the bill, the cabinet will have 60 days to consider the details before returning it to the House for a vote on whether to accept it on its first reading.

Mr. Thaopipob stated that if the amendment is approved, small-scale liquor producers will be able to commercialize their products. It would also allow them to develop distillery recipes using local resources, improve local liquor-making standards and create income for local businesses and communities.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-02-10

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 2

The craft beer industry is exploding worldwide, especially in the US. Here, as usual it lags behind, due to draconian restrictions and requirements, excessive corruption, influence of the big producers, all at the detriment to society. 

Just say no to Singha! Start arresting the politicians who support them, as we all know it is about major cash contributions. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The craft beer industry is exploding worldwide, especially in the US. Here, as usual it lags behind, due to draconian restrictions and requirements, excessive corruption, influence of the big producers, all at the detriment to society. 

Just say no to Singha! Start arresting the politicians who support them, as we all know it is about major cash contributions. 

There are a significant number of young, industrious, ambitious, creative Thais, who want to produce good craft beer here, but are being held back by corporate interests and an extreme lack of vision and smarts, on the part of the goon squad. Those creeps could not possibly be less sincere about wanting to change the status quo. It is all about the total rejection of progress, and maintaining a retrograde, backwards mentality. 

Edited by spidermike007

18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There are a significant number of young, industrious, ambitious, creative Thais, who want to produce good craft beer here, but are being held back by corporate interests and an extreme lack of vision and smarts, on the part of the goon squad. Those creeps could not possibly be less sincere about wanting to change the status quo. It is all about the total rejection of progress, and maintaining a retrograde, backwards mentality. 

I was i Vietnam a few years ago. That really opened my eyes to how backwards Thailand is with with the "tax on quality/diversity" policy. HCMC has local craft beer on about every corner at reasonable prices. Same with the international food scene. Its good and cheap. Hence there is more of it and the selection and quality was really impressive.

1 minute ago, MajorTom said:

I was i Vietnam a few years ago. That really opened my eyes to how backwards Thailand is with with the "tax on quality/diversity" policy. HCMC has local craft beer on about every corner at reasonable prices. Same with the international food scene. Its good and cheap. Hence there is more of it and the selection and quality was really impressive.

That is what we describe as progress and forward movement. Where every second of every day is NOT spent protecting the rich and the powerful and the monopoly cartels, as if your life depended upon it, at the absolute detriment to society. Toxic, super corrupt dinosaurs, represent the opposite of progress, and the only direction they know is backwards. Woe is Thailand, where you cannot even get a decent micro brew. 

• Like 1

While some might be sad at the cabinet delay - the fact that it is even being considered is a positive.  Perhaps the stranglehold that the Singha and Chang families have had for decades is slowly loosening.  The writing for them was on the wall when the ASEAN free trade agreemented allowed importation without duties.  I believe much of the Thai craft beer sold now is produced in Cambodia and brought over duty free? But Bangkok is ripe for a microbrew and restuarant explosion if the law passes.  

• Like 1