Thailand set to delay collection of 300 baht tourist fee

webfact

You'd think someone, anyone would know how to implement this? But no, of course they don't.

Announced in January, money raised from the fee will be put into a central fund which will help to develop tourist attractions, as well as help to establish an accident and death insurance fund for all tourists.

The maximum payout in the event of a death would be limited to 1 million baht and 500,000 baht for medical expenses.

Tourist bounty?

Curious to see how this insurance thing really works out.

I suspect someone wants to route the 300 baht to a different trough than the 700 baht (AOT?).

• Like 1

I've already purchased a ticket on Qatar leaving Thailand in June and returning in July. It will be interesting to see if they try to make this retroactive for tickets already purchased and the mess that would occur if they try to collect 300 baht. 

Logically, the tax should be effective for tickets purchased on and after a particular future date. But logic is irrelevant in this case. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Oxx said:

Why is it that in every article one sees this is referred to as a "tourist tax"? It's not a tourist tax:  it's a tax on foreigners.  No exemption for foreigners who actually live here.

(Incidentally, does anyone know whether it'll apply to migrant workers from neighbouring countries?)

Out of the 40 or so countries that implement a tourist tax, tell us which one does not tax foreigners.

In most countries the tax is collected on a nightly basis per person by hotels, if you check in with a foreign passport you pay the tax, irrespective of where you live. Should the delay result in a similar system, maybe you would find that more preferable.

The original articles indicated that the tax would not be applied to migrant labour.

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It deos not matter. Tourism has already been slaughtered by the goons. They shot the Golden Goose 135 times, with high caliber ammunition. It might be revived to a very minor degree. Maybe as many as 5 million tourists a year by 2028. Maybe.

Cowardice. Timidity. Fear. Ignorance. Xenophobia. All recipes for tourism disaster. Woe is the land of the forgotten. 

And don’t forget currency.  Ten years ago, I came here as a tourist, considering places to retire as a single guy. You better believe I looked at currency (Baht much lower then).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

...WHAT! I thought this 300 baht charge applied only to tourists... not us Expats!

That's it, off to Philippines or Vietnam, spend my millions there!

We shan't know until, if ever, this new tax or fee is approved and published in the Government Gazette.

In the first news article I read about this, it was called a fee to be collected from foreign arrivals, whereby "foreign" was understood to be a reference to the point of origin of travellers arriving in Thailand, not a reference to their nationalities.

Edited by Puccini
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Puccini said:

We shan't know until, if ever, this new tax or fee is approved and published in the Government Gazette.

In the first news article I read about this, it was called a fee to be collected from foreign arrivals, whereby "foreign" was understood to be a reference to the point of origin of travellers arriving in Thailand, not a reference to their nationalities.

If it is applied into the airfare I would expect everyone to get hit, even Thais.

• Like 2