Thailand set to delay collection of 300 baht tourist fee

webfact

9 hours ago, Oxx said:

Why is it that in every article one sees this is referred to as a "tourist tax"? It's not a tourist tax:  it's a tax on foreigners.  No exemption for foreigners who actually live here.

(Incidentally, does anyone know whether it'll apply to migrant workers from neighbouring countries?)

Does it apply to Thais arriving on long haul flights? 

I bet it does. In which case its an Airport arrival tax.

I don't think many of the migrant workers from neighbouring countries fly in. Little point when they can just walk in for free.

15 minutes ago, mrfill said:

I don't think many of the migrant workers from neighbouring countries fly in. Little point when they can just walk in for free.

The tax is also going to be applied to people entering the country via land border crossings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Brown envelopes to be issued on board the flights as they land, 300 Baht to be placed inside by tourist, as the tourist reaches the Immigration desk, the envelope is to be placed on the underside of the TM6 form......problem solved......lol

False news 

10 minutes ago, Oxx said:

The tax is also going to be applied to people entering the country via land border crossings.

But ..

"The new THB 300 charge will be incorporated into airfares, government spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana said in a statement."

https://www.lifestyleasia.com/bk/travel/destinations/thailand-tourist-tax-new-visitor-fee/

20 minutes ago, mrfill said:

But ..

"The new THB 300 charge will be incorporated into airfares, government spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana said in a statement."

https://www.lifestyleasia.com/bk/travel/destinations/thailand-tourist-tax-new-visitor-fee/

That's only part of the story. 

From the article linked to in the original post, "In addition, there are still question marks about how the fee will be collected from tourists who arrive in Thailand via a land border, with the Tourism Ministry still to determine the collection method for people arriving overland."

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I imagine if some of this 300 baht covered some of your hospital bills, then they may well be delaying it whilst they sort out some scam with the insurance companies so you need both !

The placed B300 entry fee should be of little concern - quite nominal and trivial. This might apply to any situated policy - Covid or not.

What should be rescinded is the general TP program, which was a mismanaged disaster from the start - redone and redone again to no one's pleasure. 

And they're still not coming - holidaymakers and longer term travellers don't wish to put up with this BS. And the all-wise Thai authorities still don't get it whatsoever. Doesn't appear their mindset will differ either.

Might learn from Asian neighbors and observe the success that they're all having as such applies to reopening strategies.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 5:56 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Brown envelopes to be issued on board the flights as they land, 300 Baht to be placed inside by tourist, as the tourist reaches the Immigration desk, the envelope is to be placed on the underside of the TM6 form......problem solved......lol

This should later be interpreted as an offering, very similar to what Temples do......

On 2/12/2022 at 7:55 AM, Oxx said:

Why is it that in every article one sees this is referred to as a "tourist tax"? It's not a tourist tax:  it's a tax on foreigners.  No exemption for foreigners who actually live here.

Unless the government introduces some sort of rebate system, everyone will end up paying 1,000 baht - everyone pays 700 baht now (I think the domestic PSC is 100 baht). This includes thai citizens.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Thai officials suffer from diarrhea of the mouth, they need to shut up, consider different options and only announce it when it is agreed and have gotten to the stage of final passage and implementation. 

They need to hold their cards closer to the vest.  

Mot the proposal is out there, the fact that they will delay it will be known by some, but not all, and a negative perception has already formed. 

IMO a $9  charge would had deterred few from coming here, and those few , and anyone who would change their travel plans for $9 you dont want here anyway. And now that they delayed it no one will say "I dont have to pay $9 , great let's go to Thailand"

They should keep  their mouth shut and either do it or not do it. 

On 2/12/2022 at 5:47 AM, webfact said:

The delay is due to two main issues. For tourists arriving by air, the fee is expected to be added as a form of tax when purchasing an airline ticket.

this being one main issue,  what's the second main issue ???? ohhh I see, it's TAT usual UTurn's  555

54 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Unless the government introduces some sort of rebate system, everyone will end up paying 1,000 baht - everyone pays 700 baht now (I think the domestic PSC is 100 baht). This includes thai citizens.

Nonsense.  This isn't the airport Passenger Service Charge, it's a new tax solely upon foreigners.  Airlines are expected to add 300 baht to airline tickets of non-Thais - something that's pretty straightforward since airlines already gather passenger passport information.

• Confused 1

Meanwhile, airports all over the world charge us hundreds in "security fees" and such, but of course that's not a cause for complaint. Years ago I flew with Lufthansa out of Munich  using miles, I had the choice of paying about 150 Eur if economy or over 400 Eur if business, for "airport tax". A luxury lounge too, people fighting 4 around a 50cm table to eat a bretzel while standing. And the check-in counters, ah those lovely smiling ladies. Oh but that's Germany, it's all above board of course. I said Germany but I could make similar examples from almost any other european country, and let's not mention USA where you would dream of a bretzel in the lounge and the check-in ladies are on average close to 60 (years) and 120 (kilos).

But let's bash instead about an extra 8Eur charged by the expat-hating Thais.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, charmonman said:

It’s not the 300 baht, it’s the principle involved. After making us pay for possibly useless insurance, alleged hospital scams, taxi ripoffs, dual pricing at national parks and attractions as well as other assorted indignities, they add this to the pile. Eventually people get fed up with being taken for a ride, however small the amount.

Given the difficulties and added expenses of travelling to Thailand these days, it seems like an odd time for them to add this fee.

If people chose their destination based on principles, there would be very few places left to visit. Taxi rip-offs... try a cab ride in Europe. Assorted indignities? Frankly I don't see many saying "oh, I was about to go to Thailand, I was undecided, but now this extra 8Eur, definitely not". Also we don't know how it will be implemented. If included in the ticket price, no one will know.

Dual pricing is a shame I agree, especially when the difference is sometimes really large. I believe they were pondering about that, though I wouldn't hold my breath. Anyway, just don't go to the park as I do.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

So is there some threshold where the fee becomes a constraint? Why not charge a $100 (3,000 baht)? $200?

No clue what the goal is? The reasons often stated for this increase seem to vary: restore natural resources, improve tourist attractions, provide for unpaid health services, but are reasonably vague. There is never any mention about who will amass this slush-fund/trough, who will administer it, how will funds be divided/distributed, will an accounting be made as part of budgetary oversight....

I'd rather see some good reasons, and firm plans offered. Heck, without that you might as well just tip every tourist upside down at arriving immigration, shake them and keep whatever falls out.

We all know exactly where the money will be going and it will be straight to the government slush fund and will be distributed to the people at the top of the totem pole. No transparency ever with these fools.

56 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Nonsense.  This isn't the airport Passenger Service Charge, it's a new tax solely upon foreigners.  Airlines are expected to add 300 baht to airline tickets of non-Thais - something that's pretty straightforward since airlines already gather passenger passport information.

"pretty straightforward". <cough>

So you're saying that thai people do not pay the 700 baht international PSC (line item on ticket is "TS") today? That they do not pay the 100 baht domestic PSC today? And that they will not pay the 300 baht (or 1,000 baht) fee when it is implemented.

And you're saying that every GDS, and every airlines' ticketing engine, and every travel aggregator, will be modified with a new tax field, that they will quote a price before taking the passport details, then modify the price based on the passport details?

Hmm. I too can say "Nonsense".

That was the beauty of the old, pay cash (500 baht) before leaving scheme. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

using miles, I had the choice of paying about 150 Eur if economy or over 400 Eur if business, for "airport tax".

That was likely a fuel surcharge. Some loyalty programs charge this - Code is "YR" - on award tickets. Some programs do not, some charge it on partner awards.

Edited by mtls2005

18 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Hmm. I too can say "Nonsense".

Try engaging your brain.  This, virtually everywhere, is described as a tourist tax, meaning a tax on foreigners.  It is not going to be applied to Thai nationals, and is not a change to the PSC.

5 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Try engaging your brain. 

Brilliant. 

6 minutes ago, Oxx said:

This, virtually everywhere, is described as a tourist tax, meaning a tax on foreigners.  It is not going to be applied to Thai nationals, and is not a change to the PSC.

"virtually everywhere"?

Do you mean described in relation to this thai implementation? Or more globally? I see it described here as all sorts of things, but mostly that it will be collected by airlines. And they've yet to sort out how it might collected for those crossing by land. And they've yet to sort out how it will be spent.

Having an airline (GDS, aggregator) collect a new fee and then transfer that to thailand (the current PSC is remitted monthly, to AoT I think) will be a complex endeavor. Charging some people but not Thais will make it more complicated.

In all honesty I do not believe any thai officials have really thought out the very basics of this proposed tax, and how it might be implemented. The fact that it is "delayed" only points to the lack of planning.

Let's wait and see who ends up paying, and how they pay.

Dual pricing, and hotel and rental car surcharges are more easily focused on tourists, and are much more easily collected and remitted to the government.

I am pretty certain that Japan's 1,000 Yen Tourist Tax is paid be departing passengers - as part of the ticket - by ALL passengers including Japanese.

• Like 1

Isn't it nice some posters here are having a laugh at concerns 300 baht is a lot of money to some people.

For migrant workers and others in neighbouring countries, crossing the land border will now cost them at least half a days wages.

I guess that's still funny to some though