Thai Elite visa after a volunteer visa. (denied ?)

12 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

Can we get him to pay us extra money?  I'm looking and looking.  Can't see something yet.

Let me get my supervisor, he's better at finding a reason to detain unless you pay an expidited fee...

In the almost 20 years I have been going and coming as well as living here, I was only flagged on exiting once and that was because I had lost the TM-6 card.  The I/O wanted me to do a police report, but when I showed him I was leaving in 30 minutes he relented and off I went after being told to ensure the TM-6 stayed in my passport when I returned.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 3:18 PM, thanaka said:

To extend my education visa I would have had to leave the country. I couldn't because all borders were shut due to covid. The government didn't propose any solution for the hundreds of thousands of foreigners in the country in similar situations, therefore many started using agents. It's unrelated to the denial for the Elite visa, at least as far as I know.

You weren't given a reason for the denial then?

• 3 months later...

I was denied an Elite visa based on that I had a volunteer visa. Just like most of you I got it because I didn't want to worry every 2 months that that my covid extension would run out and I would have to leave. I moved here in February 202 thinking I would get a non-o visa (register my business here) but when covid happened everything changed.  So I was denied and I just asked if I get a new passport and apply again that they said no and that more than likely if you do get approved and then sign that you never had a volunteer visa (which is not true) you won't get a refund so its not worth doing, imo, see below:

So I think you just need to. check if they change their policy, its crazy they are denying people who are willing to pay.  

So from the emails below means, if you get a new passport and then just say you never had volunteer visa and they approve you.... and then you pay and sign the contract that  has all the rules including saying "you never had volunteer or Ed visa" and they they find out you have, they will keep your money since you signed the contract under false pretenses.  

So it is a bit of a scam as they should not give you an approval letter unless you are approved, sort of silly but I don't think I could send them money knowing that I might not get it back. I will just register for a company while in America and be done with it. 

See emails below, hope this helps.  I was denied late October 2022. 

Hello,

I was denied an Elite visa as I had a volunteer visa that was issued on November 2020 for one year. I will be getting a new passport while in America and was will have it on May 25, 2023.
My question is can I apply for the Elite Visa while in America and then pick up at the airport if approved?  Will the new passport help?  The volunteer visa will be quite old at this time over 3 years.

Thanks!

Greetings from Thailand Privilege Card

Referring to your email, in this state, there has not been further updated policy regarding the Non-O Volunteer visa holder. There is a very high chance that you may not be able to obtain the Elite visa despite the changes to the new passport, please also note that the membership fee is non-refundable in any case.

Thank you for your kindness and understanding

• Like 1

After 10 years here and on my second Thail Eltie VISA I cna say

1) The so called lawyer is probably ont a lawyer and even if she as a degree has no clue.  This is a person trying go complicate matters with BS and charge more $. A scam for sure - Fire her

2) Thai Elite - work direct with them as they are very professional and you get straight answers.   Do NOT go thru any 3rd party as most are scammers and intneitalloy mised to get moe baht from you.

3) I have the perosnal email of theThai Elite CEO - If you eed it email me at [email protected].

SOMCHAI SOONGSWANG  CEO.  I have it because he emailed me once when I had a small issue - personalized servce !

Good luck and again dont use a 3rd party - big mistake.  If you need one my attorney handles Thai Elite and he is awesome - no BS just results with no hassle.

It is absolutely cast iron fact that you cannot get the Elite if you previously had a volunteer visa.

That stance is current as of this week.

It's suggested that it might/will be relaxed at some undated point in the future.

Source: I am in the same boat and have gone to great lengths to try and resolve the issue. It comes from high up in government and will not be easily circumvented.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, mrmagyar said:

Source: I am in the same boat and have gone to great lengths to try and resolve the issue.

That's not a source; that's a statement.

The way I look at it is this: The immigration department have to issue the visas but I doubt they get any kind of compensation for doing so. It makes sense, therefore, for the them to reject Elite Visa applications from people who clearly know about, and have demonstrated a willingness to use, one of the visas that they do get a kick back from.

Souce: pure conjecture ????

Edited by JayClay

7 minutes ago, JayClay said:

That's not a source; that's a statement.

The way I look at it is this: The immigration department have to issue the visas but I doubt they get any kind of compensation for doing so. It makes sense, therefore, for the them to reject Elite Visa applications from people who clearly know about, and have demonstrated a willingness to use, one of the visas that they do get a kick back from.

Souce: pure conjecture ????

I was trying explain where the information cited comes from.

If you do some research into the subject, you'll find the very same.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, mrmagyar said:

It is absolutely cast iron fact that you cannot get the Elite if you previously had a volunteer visa.

That stance is current as of this week.

It's suggested that it might/will be relaxed at some undated point in the future.

Source: I am in the same boat and have gone to great lengths to try and resolve the issue. It comes from high up in government and will not be easily circumvented.

I've seen a few posts on this topic and I'm curious as to what exactly is going on.

I've been using the Thailand Elite visa for some time now and I've never heard of such nonsense from them before although I'm not surprised, they (Thailand Elite) are only a conduit to immigration who seem to make up the rules as they go - so they are just a middle man to process the applications, accept payment and liase with immigration.

So what is the issue here?

Why are they singling out Volunteer and Education visas here and what's so toxic about these two types of visa that they're refusing people?

How about someone had an Education visa 10 years ago, can they not get a TE visa?

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I've seen a few posts on this topic and I'm curious as to what exactly is going on.

I've been using the Thailand Elite visa for some time now and I've never heard of such nonsense from them before although I'm not surprised, they (Thailand Elite) are only a conduit to immigration who seem to make up the rules as they go - so they are just a middle man to process the applications, accept payment and liase with immigration.

So what is the issue here?

Why are they singling out Volunteer and Education visas here and what's so toxic about these two types of visa that they're refusing people?

How about someone had an Education visa 10 years ago, can they not get a TE visa?

If it was a legit education visa and you can prove such (with the requisite educational ministry details) then you'll get through.

It's targeted at visa abusers. Fairly enough, many would say.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ukrules said:

My understanding is that these visas were issued by someone freelancing outside "The System".

There's nothing new in any of this. You've always had to have had squeaky clean immigration history to obtain an elite visa.

I know someone who was denied before Covid because he had gone to an agent and got a dodgy 2 month visa extension on medical grounds a few years earlier.

Even a couple of short overstays will rule you out.

1 minute ago, mockingbird said:

There's nothing new in any of this. You've always had to have had squeaky clean immigration history to obtain an elite visa.

I know someone who was denied before Covid because he had gone to an agent and got a dodgy 2 month visa extension on medical grounds a few years earlier.

I hadn't heard about the medical visa issues prior to covid, but they certainly always seemed very strict on the overstay.

Ironically, that's why many of us have this f***ing volunteer visa in the first place. 

Everyone who willingly overstayed after this warning (https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/easy/1989023/tourists-face-arrest-jail-for-overstaying) was relieved when the amnesty was retrospectively extended a few days later.

Those of us who tried to get whatever visa they could in order to prevent an overstay that would prevent us later getting Elite Visas....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mrmagyar said:

I hadn't heard about the medical visa issues prior to covid, but they certainly always seemed very strict on the overstay.

Ironically, that's why many of us have this f***ing volunteer visa in the first place. 

Everyone who willingly overstayed after this warning (https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/easy/1989023/tourists-face-arrest-jail-for-overstaying) was relieved when the amnesty was retrospectively extended a few days later.

Those of us who tried to get whatever visa they could in order to prevent an overstay that would prevent us later getting Elite Visas....

I couldn't agree more. Trying to "do the right thing" and/or being proactive tends to get you nowhere at best and into trouble at worst. Those who just waited were definitely better off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I couldn't agree more. Trying to "do the right thing" and/or being proactive tends to get you nowhere at best and into trouble at worst. Those who just waited were definitely better off.

Yep. I try to be philosophical about it. This system of loopholes and ambiguity that often works in our favour has this time worked against us.

That same system means that there's almost always still a way (LTR, ED, Biz + WP)

What's most frustrating is that there's nobody willing to listen to the rationale and understand it, in this instance. But hey ho.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2023 at 3:23 PM, mockingbird said:

And they never refund him?

7 minutes ago, ukrules said:

When you apply for a Thailand Elite visa they run any checks first and authorise the membership, you pay after approval.

I believe they're merely covering themselves when they say immigration might deny issuing a visa due to the personal discretion thing - if that ever happened then they would have a choice to make, it would either be the end of Thailand Elite or they give the money back.

Applying for approval for the visa costs nothing, once you get approval they ask you to pay. If you're going to be rejected for something trivial it will be before the payment stage.

I actually got approved immigration background check a few days ago and i had volunteers before and now they ask to pay and they mention this

****PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THE PAYMENT**** If you fall under the following conditions:           
- Please check if you have a history or currently hold a Non-Immigrant type O (Volunteer), you will not be able to obtain a Thailand Elite visa under any circumstances.         

Once again, if you fall under the condition above Thailand Privilege Card Company Limited company reserve the right not to refund the membership fee under any circumstances.

So im confused now

Seems unreal to me

Edited by alex20150
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, alex20150 said:

I actually got approved immigration background check a few days ago and i had volunteers before and now they ask to pay and they mention this

****PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THE PAYMENT**** If you fall under the following conditions:           
- Please check if you have a history or currently hold a Non-Immigrant type O (Volunteer), you will not be able to obtain a Thailand Elite visa under any circumstances.         

Once again, if you fall under the condition above Thailand Privilege Card Company Limited company reserve the right not to refund the membership fee under any circumstances.

So im confused now

Seems unreal to me

Strange as it may seem, the relationship between Thailand Privilege Card and the Immigration Bureau has often been rocky, though this waxes and wanes. When things are really bad, Immigration is looking for ways to create problems. It is probably a disagreement over how much of the loot should be passed to senior officials within Immigration to facilitate a problem free experience.

If I were in your position, I would be trying to make contact with an official at the airport with a view to making a small present (perhaps, 10,000 baht) to insure against Immigration being difficult.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am already a member and have had a Thai Elite visa for a little while. I have to get a new sticker/visa put in to my new passport in a couple of days at BKK but have a volunteer visa in my history, do you think I will have an issue?

Edited by theovan1
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, theovan1 said:

I am already a member and have had a Thai Elite visa for a little while. I have to get a new sticker/visa put in to my new passport in a couple of days at BKK but have a volunteer visa in my history, do you think I will have an issue?

Shouldn't be an issue as you're already approved and paid and just need a new sticker. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, alex20150 said:

So im confused now

Seems unreal to me

Ok, well that's new, I last renewed mine in late 2019 a few weeks before the first reports of people getting ill in Wuhan started to emerge on the international news.

I know there's something weird that's been going on with these visas during the pandemic, I would be surprised if they apply this to an old visa from long ago - a legitimate one (if there is such a thing) but who knows.

How long ago was your volunteer visa issued and is it in your current passport?

I would definitely call them up and check they're not referring only to the scam visas that were being utilised by many people in the last few years during the pandemic, unless of course you had one of them in which case you might be a part of their target.

• Like 1