What's the draw on a inverter Casette aircon ?

tamsam6

I'd like to understand how much power a Cassette Style aircon uses when the room is at the desired temperature. Shouldn't the power draw drop significantly?

https://www.daikin.co.th/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/FCF_catalog.pdf

It says Power Consumption is 5,444 wats or 5.4kwat  But on this page it seems to show that the requirement drops?

https://www.daikin.com/corporate/why_daikin/benefits/inverter

Any ideas how I can figure this out?

The 5.4kWatt is for the 48000 btu , so thats a big cooler . Beyond that , the power drawn will not always be 5.4 kW as long as it is a inverter type . The cooling capacity will be lower if the desired temp is reached . In your 48000 btu type , min cooling is 21000 btu and max is 50000 btu . The exact amount of energy used is not given in min amount but guessing according to the min btu of 21000 , it will be like 2000/2500 Watt . Some brands do give the min power drawn , like they give for the minimal cooling capacity .

• Like 1

Yeah ^^^, the actual minimum power consumption will depend upon your room situation but if the A/C is correctly sized for the space it should be less than 30% of the maximum power once the room is down to temperature.

As @sezze notes, the unit you show has a minimum cooling capacity of 21,000 BTU so around 2kW of energy consumption. If your requirement is lower (cool day / oversized unit) it will simply shut off and behave more like a 21,000 BTU conventional A/C.

Thanks for the info gents. I was hoping to hear much lower numbers.   I'm currently sizing for a solar system and the battery storage I need at night is massive due to having some larger sized aircons in the house... 

If the bug 48k BTU takes 5kw and I have 15kwat of battery, pretty easy to see that the 3 hours of savings at 5 baht doesn't get me much considering the cost of the batteries.

If it were to drop to 2 to 2.5kwatt, that changes it up a bit.. 

2 hours ago, tamsam6 said:

If it were to drop to 2 to 2.5kwatt, that changes it up a bit.. 

If it's correctly sized then it should, or average even less if it's shutting down occasionally at night.

The only way to really know is to get one of those clip on energy meters and monitor the beast over a few nights.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tamsam6 said:

Thanks Crossy..    I think I may see what I can do to maybe put a divider in the room to lower the power draw from the beast.

Or get rid of those pet penguins ???????????????????????????? ???? 

How big is the room it serves?

Do get some sort of energy monitor on the beast, you may be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

To give real world numbers my cassette AC that is either a 36,000 or 48,000 BTU unit (I don’t remember)

the numbers under are whole house consumption 

NO AC background usage 3,096 W - 2.43A

AC on full 9,359 W - 5.78A (AC only 6,263 W  - 3.35A) Note; this number may ramp up higher given time.

AC on almost standby 3,932 W - 2.66A  (AC only 836 W  - 0.23A)

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

To give real world numbers my cassette AC that is either a 36,000 or 48,000 BTU unit (I don’t remember)

AC on full 9,359 W - 5.78A (AC only 6,263 W  - 3.35A) Note; this number may ramp up higher given time.

Thanks for this. I am guessing a 48000 BUT to draw 6300 W

• Like 1

@sezze Our room with the big AC is 58m2 (a little over 7 x 8 ) or for the main section 220m3 so the AC needs to be big. It is an inverter and though your minimum cooling consumption is probably accurate as you can see the cooling can turn off completely bringing the consumption down to about 10% of the maximum.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 10:02 AM, Crossy said:

The only way to really know is to get one of those clip on energy meters

Where can you get those and what do the "officially"  call them?

Air-conditioning is usually hard wired.  Where would you attach the "metering device"?

I'd like to get a few.

On 2/16/2022 at 12:32 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

Check your calculation again - your wattage and current don't jibe

case in point: 3096/230= 13.4 amps......... etc

1 hour ago, mistral53 said:

Check your calculation again - your wattage and current don't jibe

case in point: 3096/230= 13.4 amps......... etc

No calculations apart from subtracting the first set of numbers. Just reading the numbers from the meter. Also we never get 230V  

So just ignore the Wattage figures & I can get the voltages for you to have fun with your math, if you want ???? 

7 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Where can you get those and what do the "officially"  call them?

Air-conditioning is usually hard wired.  Where would you attach the "metering device"?

I'd like to get a few.

Something like this (get the one with the clip-on CT if you don't want to pull and wires) would do the trick.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/100-original-diymore-ac-50-300v-0-100a-power-energy-meter-voltmeter-ammeter-kwh-digital-ac-electric-monitor-panel-meter-with-reset-function-i3125367961-s11626606839.html?

Clip the CT (current transformer) over the live supply to the unit you want to monitor, for an A/C it would be easiest to do it where the wire exits the breaker.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Something like this (get the one with the clip-on CT if you don't want to pull and wires) would do the trick.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/100-original-diymore-ac-50-300v-0-100a-power-energy-meter-voltmeter-ammeter-kwh-digital-ac-electric-monitor-panel-meter-with-reset-function-i3125367961-s11626606839.html?

Clip the CT (current transformer) over the live supply to the unit you want to monitor, for an A/C it would be easiest to do it where the wire exits the breaker.

Thanks.

Enjoy your week.

Looks like we'll need a heater.  The high on Monday is supposed to be 15 Celsius on Monday in Upper Sakon Nakhon.

Brrrrr.

• Like 1