Japanese Bicycle spares

Maybole

I bought a secondhand Japanese import some 5 years ago. I now need a few replacement parts but so far have been unable to find ones that fit. Thai bicycles are smaller than Japanese. I have not yet been able to get back to the shop where I bought it. I do not want to have to buy another bicycle just for the want of a few spares. Can any member recommend a bike shop in Chiang Mai which might help?

Additionally, although I am not tall I find Thai made bicycles to small for me.

I found Cherry Bike to be most helpful and best value. They service bikes too. They have a good range of international brands in all sizes in stock. So, it does depend on what you are looking for.

Edited by Vietem

Thanks to all, keep the suggestions coming. There is no model number apparent on the bike. for what it is worth , the bike has "Contes Du Jour" on the main beam.

The first shop I went to in Mae Hia was dismissive, It's Japanese, cannot help". The second nearby was more sympathetic bit had nothing to fit. and the third in Hang Dong tried to help but would have to order the spares and could could order only a minimum of 10 pieces.

I have had a few folding 2nd hand japanese bikes and ride my current one daily in old city

As i have found the parts shops as i done a few repairs.....chang moi rd going towards chinatown--right side before bridge over stream...first one is open shop and another is the soi right after that..always busy and they did the repairs for free after buying parts...

if u are in car id pull into that soi after the 1st shop as they are very close to each other..

Feels like chinese-thai owners as they spoke english to me and they have tons of stuff--also i buy my 2nd hand bikes from a lady who has 100s of them at her house--imported from japan 2nd hand and her hubby fixes them--local and good prices---lots of parts too-but when I asked where SHE gets parts she told me the shops on chang moi rd--old city

49 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I have had a few folding 2nd hand japanese bikes and ride my current one daily in old city

As i have found the parts shops as i done a few repairs.....chang moi rd going towards chinatown--right side before bridge over stream...first one is open shop and another is the soi right after that..always busy and they did the repairs for free after buying parts...

if u are in car id pull into that soi after the 1st shop as they are very close to each other..

Feels like chinese-thai owners as they spoke english to me and they have tons of stuff--also i buy my 2nd hand bikes from a lady who has 100s of them at her house--imported from japan 2nd hand and her hubby fixes them--local and good prices---lots of parts too-but when I asked where SHE gets parts she told me the shops on chang moi rd--old city

That looks interesting, I will try there. Thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, captainjackS said:

which spare parts are you looking to buy?  Perhaps some people in this group can help you sort out the vocabulary of exactly what to search for if you post some pictures.

Wheel rim and handlebar stem, both failing due to much use.

On 2/16/2022 at 10:53 PM, Maybole said:

That looks interesting, I will try there. Thank you.

Keep your eyes open--chang moi rd off east side of moat towards chinatown/ river

is almost at chinatown "gate" on right side--motorbike shop on left side---I used the shop directly off CMoi rd,,,,new pedals and a flat tire--then she walked me up 2 shops to have her repair guys install for free..

On 2/16/2022 at 10:55 PM, Maybole said:

Wheel rim and handlebar stem, both failing due to much use.

Handle bar stems are standard sizing.  As are rims.  I suggest you look on Shopee you can get spoked aluminium rims for about 500-600 baht per set. What size is the bike.  Is it 26inch?

6 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Handle bar stems are standard sizing.  As are rims.  I suggest you look on Shopee you can get spoked aluminium rims for about 500-600 baht per set. What size is the bike.  Is it 26inch?

The rim takes a 700x1.75 tyre and the only stems I have found are a full 3cm shorter than the old one.

There are all kinds of handlebar stem types and sizes and if you have a old Japanese bike made for the Japanese domestic market i would not assume its todays common 31.8mm size or the once common but harder to find 25.4mm. There are other uncommon sizes too. Rims come in all kinds of widths, sizes and number of spokes. Its best to post some photos if you dont know exactly what you are looking for. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

There are all kinds of handlebar stem types and sizes and if you have a old Japanese bike made for the Japanese domestic market i would not assume its todays common 31.8mm size or the once common but harder to find 25.4mm. There are other uncommon sizes too. Rims come in all kinds of widths, sizes and number of spokes. Its best to post some photos if you dont know exactly what you are looking for. 

I do know exactly what I am looking for  I have the originals for comparison.