1UZ-FE (V8) engien into MB W126

dagling

Anyone know what a Toyota 1UZ-FE-V8 (1989-2004) costs in Thailand, approximate price and where to get hold on one?.
See several MB who have had the original engine replaced with a Toyota engine.
Want to buy an MB 126 300-500SE 1988-1991, but want a Toyota V8 engine.
Anyone know of a workshop that takes such jobs in Bangkok or in Chonburi area, and what will such an "operation" cost?

MB126.jpg

Edited by dagling

2 hours ago, whoppee said:

Put one in a 1963 Chevy stepside years ago in Pattaya

Bought from the big market in BKK

Around 25-30 K complete with all ECU, wiring harness, O2 sensors, etc.

Was still attached to the front clip when I bought it.

What market in Bangkok are you refering too?

20 hours ago, wprime said:

I've seen Thompson had an old V12 they're working on next to a W124/W126 (didn't get a good look) so I assume they take such jobs.

I quite sure if you ask Eddie at Thomson garage he will find you one.

20 hours ago, whoppee said:

Put one in a 1963 Chevy stepside years ago in Pattaya

Bought from the big market in BKK

Around 25-30 K complete with all ECU, wiring harness, O2 sensors, etc.

Was still attached to the front clip when I bought it.

Still have the sport-truck? 

On 2/18/2022 at 9:15 AM, dagling said:

Anyone know what a Toyota 1UZ-FE-V8 (1989-2004) costs in Thailand, approximate price and where to get hold on one?.

It's a very common swap here.  Buy a few Thai-language car magazines, they're full of ads from engine sellers and modifiers for what you want and they're not difficult to interpret.

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:
4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

W126s weren't produced as V12s.

I'm talking about finding V12 Merc's. 

Why bother changing engines that what I would do.

"Why bother changing engines..."

Well, he wants a V8 W126, not a V12 W140 (or later model), that's a pretty good reason why.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Well, he wants a V8 W126, not a V12 W140 (or later model), that's a pretty good reason why.

From the beginning my point and suggestion to OP was if you want a Mercedes get a V12 one no need to bother changing lumps. 

I think engine swops like these are typically done to reduce the cost of rebuilding/replacing the existing engine and to reduce ongoing maintenance costs. 

It was real popular in the US with old jags and whatnot to replace with a small-block chevy engine. A lot of swap kits were available off the shelf. 

I was never a fan. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 6:46 PM, Kwasaki said:
On 2/19/2022 at 4:28 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

From the beginning my point and suggestion to OP was if you want a Mercedes get a V12 one no need to bother changing lumps. 

From the beginning, my point, and the OP's in his very clear post , was that he wants a W126, with a V8 engine and he was wanting to change the engine.   Didn't see him reference "lumps", whatever they are.   

Can't imagine why anyone, looking in the price range of W126s, would ever consider the massive risk of going for an elderly Merc V12 (W140) over a known-to-be reliable Toyota V8.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

From the beginning, my point, and the OP's in his very clear post , was that he wants a W126, with a V8 engine and he was wanting to change the engine.   Didn't see him reference "lumps", whatever they are.   

Can't imagine why anyone, looking in the price range of W126s, would ever consider the massive risk of going for an elderly Merc V12 (W140) over a known-to-be reliable Toyota V8.

Don't care what you imagine or the OP the Mercedes V12 is a great engineered lump. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:
14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Don't care what you imagine or the OP the Mercedes V12 is a great engineered lump. 

Not doubting the V12's engineering but he wouldn't be buying a new Merc M120 V12, he'd be buying a used one in the price range of an, at least, 20-year old Toyota 1UZ.    Not only would he be buying great 1991 engineering he'd also be buying great 1991+ M120 W140 maintenance expense risks.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Not doubting the V12's engineering but he wouldn't be buying a new Merc M120 V12, he'd be buying a used one in the price range of an, at least, 20-year old Toyota 1UZ.    Not only would he be buying great 1991 engineering he'd also be buying great 1991+ M120 W140 maintenance expense risks.  

Costs in Thailand are problem of course you need deep pockets to buy one of the V8 Mercs model which have proven reliability and the latest V12. 

Whenever people mention V8 makes me think straight away of V8 Chevi lumps as a swap out. 

On 2/20/2022 at 6:46 AM, Yellowtail said:

It was real popular in the US with old jags and whatnot to replace with a small-block chevy engine. A lot of swap kits were available off the shelf.

Those Jag engines were nightmares. Simple maintenance required taking everything part and high repair bills. Anything more major and you were doomed. Plenty of jokes about "It's not British if it doesn't leak" and the Lucas "Prince of Darkness" electrical system. Junkyards were littered with beautiful old Jags. Clean bodies, luxurious interiors with acres of wood, leather, and chrome trimmings, like sitting inside a fancy cigar box. Yet they sat there abandoned because of those engines. The thought of getting one running again struck pain into the hearts of many. That is, until the thought of simply dropping in that small block Chevy. Simple, reliable, easy to work on, parts you can pick up anywhere. That brought the Jags back. Similar situation here with wanting that Merc luxury, with Toyota reliability.

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Those Jag engines were nightmares. Simple maintenance Similar situation here with wanting that Merc luxury, with Toyota reliability.

So the plan is to put a 10-20 year old engine in a 20-30 year old car, it makes a little sense to me as some kind of show-car, but not as a daily-driver. 

Keep in mind, the small-block chevy is one of the most prolific engines of all time, and was in continuous production and on the same basic platform from the mid '50s until the early 2000s. You can still buy a rebuild kit for $200  and a factory new long-block $2,500. 

3 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Those Jag engines were nightmares. Simple maintenance required taking everything part and high repair bills. Anything more major and you were doomed. Plenty of jokes about "It's not British if it doesn't leak" and the Lucas "Prince of Darkness" electrical system. Junkyards were littered with beautiful old Jags. Clean bodies, luxurious interiors with acres of wood, leather, and chrome trimmings, like sitting inside a fancy cigar box. Yet they sat there abandoned because of those engines. The thought of getting one running again struck pain into the hearts of many. That is, until the thought of simply dropping in that small block Chevy. Simple, reliable, easy to work on, parts you can pick up anywhere. That brought the Jags back. Similar situation here with wanting that Merc luxury, with Toyota reliability.

Your right about electrics on the Jag E-type V12 and cooling problems in hot weather apart from that they were a reliable V12 of there day. 

18 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Your right about electrics on the Jag E-type V12 and cooling problems in hot weather apart from that they were a reliable V12 of there day. 

I think we're talking about post the e-types. I think it likely you'd get shot in the US dropping a chevy engine in an e-type jag.

My first full-time job was in the early '70s for a tool & die shop owned by a Brit, a Scot and and an Irishman. The Brit had a cream colored e-type, first one I ever saw, only one I ever rode in. That was a nice f'n car. 

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think we're talking about post the e-types. I think it likely you'd get shot in the US dropping a chevy engine in an e-type jag.

My first full-time job was in the early '70s for a tool & die shop owned by a Brit, a Scot and and an Irishman. The Brit had a cream colored e-type, first one I ever saw, only one I ever rode in. That was a nice f'n car. 

The V12 E-type I was given a ride in was like motorbike 1000c G force hard acelaration. ????

On 2/21/2022 at 3:51 PM, Yellowtail said:

So the plan is to put a 10-20 year old engine in a 20-30 year old car, it makes a little sense to me as some kind of show-car, but not as a daily-driver. 

Keep in mind, the small-block chevy is one of the most prolific engines of all time, and was in continuous production and on the same basic platform from the mid '50s until the early 2000s. You can still buy a rebuild kit for $200  and a factory new long-block $2,500. 

The Chevrolet small block is not "one of the most prolific engines" in Thailand.   Who is the supplier of Chevrolet V8 factory long blocks at $2,500 in Thailand?   Availability and ease of maintenance, access to parts has to be considered, this is not the US.

Transplanting a used (usually imported Japanese engine) into something else is no big risk unless the engine is being bought privately.  There are known, reputed suppliers of those engines in Thailand that are usually relatively low mileage because of Japanese tax requirements and those suppliers generally provide a replacement guarantee if there are problems.

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The Chevrolet small block is not "one of the most prolific engines" in Thailand.   Who is the supplier of Chevrolet V8 factory long blocks at $2,500 in Thailand?   Availability and ease of maintenance, access to parts has to be considered, this is not the US.

Transplanting a used (usually imported Japanese engine) into something else is no big risk unless the engine is being bought privately.  There are known, reputed suppliers of those engines in Thailand that are usually relatively low mileage because of Japanese tax requirements and those suppliers generally provide a replacement guarantee if there are problems.

I never said it was, nor did I imply it would be a good swap-for-the-OP. We were talking about why the chevy was a common swap for Jaguars in US. Please try to follow along. 

My recommendation for the OP if he wants a swap for a daily-driver would be a common, late-model Japanese engine, not a twenty-year-old limited edition. 

We good now? 

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

I never said it was, nor did I imply it would be a good swap-for-the-OP. We were talking about why the chevy was a common swap for Jaguars in US. Please try to follow along. 

My recommendation for the OP if he wants a swap for a daily-driver would be a common, late-model Japanese engine, not a twenty-year-old limited edition. 

This is what you posted abut the OP and his plans for his swap...

"So the plan is to put a 10-20 year old engine in a 20-30 year old car, it makes a little sense to me as some kind of show-car, but not as a daily-driver. 

Keep in mind, the small-block chevy is one of the most prolific engines of all time, and was in continuous production and on the same basic platform from the mid '50s until the early 2000s. You can still buy a rebuild kit for $200  and a factory new long-block $2,500". 

Clearly, by linking the two in one post, your post did suggest a Chevy swap for the OP.

The 1UZ range was not, in any way, a limited edition engine but, regardless, as the OP specifically stated that he wanted a Toyota V8, what other Toyota V8  would you recommend?

This is what you posted abut the OP and his plans for his swap...

"So the plan is to put a 10-20 year old engine in a 20-30 year old car, it makes a little sense to me as some kind of show-car, but not as a daily-driver. 

Keep in mind, the small-block chevy is one of the most prolific engines of all time, and was in continuous production and on the same basic platform from the mid '50s until the early 2000s. You can still buy a rebuild kit for $200  and a factory new long-block $2,500". 

Clearly, by linking the two in one post, your post did suggest a Chevy swap for the OP.

Nice try, this is how I responded in an ongoing discussion:

362977165_jagpost.jpg.a20c1c9a4661d216b7942c6c16893e07.jpg

The 1UZ range was not, in any way, a limited edition engine but, regardless, as the OP specifically stated that he wanted a Toyota V8, what other Toyota V8  would you recommend?

I'll restate: My recommendation for the OP if he wants a swap for a daily-driver would be a common, late-model Japanese engine, not a twenty-year-old limited edition. 

You claim that "...the The 1UZ range was not, in any way, a limited edition engine..." but I think it is safe to say it is a limited edition in Thailand, I would bet there have more SB Chevies in Thailand over the last fifty years than Toyota 1UZs. 

Edited by Rimmer
Flame removed
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Nice try, this is how I responded in an ongoing discussion:

362977165_jagpost.jpg.a20c1c9a4661d216b7942c6c16893e07.jpg

My recommendation is clear, but given your limited resources, I'll restate: My recommendation for the OP if he wants a swap for a daily-driver would be a common, late-model Japanese engine, not a twenty-year-old limited edition. 

You claim that "...the The 1UZ range was not, in any way, a limited edition engine..." but I think it is safe to say it is a limited edition in Thailand, I would bet there have more SB Chevies in Thailand over the last fifty years than Toyota 1UZs. 

Wasn't a member of TV now AN posted sometime back that he had put Chevi V8 in Toyota Vigos.

On 2/21/2022 at 1:44 PM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

The other old joke about Jaguars was you bought two of them, so you could have at least one that was not in the service shop undergoing repairs.

AFAIK the Toyota transplant into a Merc works well. The purported reliability of the W126 engine IME is more Mercedes spin than substance. I have the scars to prove it.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1